• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
How many suits are you thinking about getting? If two, mine would be 39176 and 39169.

Two suits in worsted flannel, 39169 and 39174 (brown in town) are the current leading contenders.

Originally Posted by Parker
Those are my favorites, too. And the moonbeam brown glen plaid.

That's my favorite of the moonbeam swatches. Did you end up committing to the similar LP cashmere?

Originally Posted by Manton
IMO, both 9.5/10 and 13 are superior to 11/12. The latter is just too "soft" and lacks body. The 9.5/10 performs significantly better.

Thanks. I suppose this was a bit counterintuitive for me, as someone who's reading up on cloth fundamentals regarding weight and performance. Any recommendations for worsteds that can take me from late Parisian fall through early spring? (shouldn't be too different from NY)

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep!
smile.gif

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I've read that LL thread myself. I have the 9/10 being made up right now, but as I thought the 13 would be a bit much for me (I like to layer as I tend to overhead), I've decided to experiment with the 11/12. Others more experienced may chime in here, as I'm still learning the ropes. But I've got the 9/10 and 11/12 swatches in front of me and cannot discern any difference in quality.
I have a DB in the 13 that performs amazingly well. I'm amazed how well it resists wrinkles. But you are correct that it wears warm and can be difficult to wear if your office is well heated.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
Is that Moonbeam 36525, grey and chalk windowpane, or is there another color in there? And are you thinking of that for a suit or a jacket?

There is a rust windowpane as well which shadows the chalk. If I end up doing anything with this one it would be for a DB odd coat.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two suits in worsted flannel, 39169 and 39174 (brown in town) are the current leading contenders.

That's my favorite of the moonbeam swatches. Did you end up committing to the similar LP cashmere?

Thanks. I suppose this was a bit counterintuitive for me, as someone who's reading up on cloth fundamentals regarding weight and performance. Any recommendations for worsteds that can take me from late Parisian fall through early spring? (shouldn't be too different from NY)

The third would be 39174. All three would be great additions. You should do at least one in DB.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
The third would be 39174. All three would be great additions. You should do at least one in DB.

I'm pretty sure that the one I have (SB) is 39174. Sort of dark tan/medium grey. A nice weight, well-behaved. Excellent Friday suit. Maybe not a world-beater but the sort of thing that might die of old age in 15 years because it's easy to put on.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If the 13oz is too much, you could go lighter. Harrison's Frontier is a pretty basic year-round fabric. The LL Brisa (and there are other non-LL models of that quality offered by Lovat Mill-- just call them and ask) drapes even better than the 10oz Frontier and breathes nicely in over-heated rooms. Neither is a winter weight but neither will make you look stupid in the cold weather.

C&A

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
The LL Brisa (and there are other non-LL models of that quality offered by Lovat Mill-- just call them and ask)

Thanks for the tip. Just phoned them. Friendly people and happy to send me some swatches.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents - For my 520 Minnis fresco blazersuit, should I go with this:
5513419823_a9d832d508_b.jpg
or that:
5513994798_09db917048_o.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Betweem those two, top definitely.

But a DB BS is somewhat limiting.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Betweem those two, top definitely.

But a DB BS is somewhat limiting.

Top it is.

I know but I'm getting a SB BS in the 516 so I wanted to have something different for the 520.

Refresh my memory - swelled edges on the BS, right?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Top it is.

I know but I'm getting a SB BS in the 516 so I wanted to have something different for the 520.

Refresh my memory - swelled edges on the BS, right?

I did because I think it makes it work better as an odd jacket. Plus, all my BSes are in textured cloth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads