• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drakes ties - why are they so highly regarded?

Ichiro

Reaction score
And are all their styles as good? It's difficult to judge from a website

ctp120

Reaction score
IMO:

Quality, hand-sewn construction using good silks and interlining material; more than that, they represent very classic English style. Many of their iconic woven and printed designs are nearly timeless (dots, solids, stripes, houndstooth, shepherd's check, glen-plaid, etc.), so while a few iterations of these may end up looking dated based on extremes in shape and width of the tie, they are, for the most part, relatively trend-proof and firmly within the confines of more traditional/classic neckwear.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
IMO:

Quality, hand-sewn construction using good silks and interlining material; more than that, they represent very classic English style. Many of their iconic woven and printed designs are nearly timeless (dots, solids, stripes, houndstooth, shepherd's check, glen-plaid, etc.), so while a few iterations of these may end up looking dated based on extremes in shape and width of the tie, they are, for the most part, relatively trend-proof and firmly within the confines of more traditional/classic neckwear.

/thread

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Quality construction and nearly impeccable taste. There are others with comparable or slightly better makes but most of them will sell you a tie that you regret buying almost immediately.

Buy a Drakes tie from Will's store and you'll see !

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality construction and nearly impeccable taste. There are others with comparable or slightly better makes but most of them will sell you a tie that you regret buying almost immediately.

Their taste level is indeed the highest out of any maker around. Nicki/Glazer is the only other maker that is on their level, that I have experience with. Both those makers are usually used together ie; Polo uses both, Paul Stuart, even Flusser used both those makers for a complete collection.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Taste. Period. Yes, the quality is superlative. But it's the understated restraint of the designs that really carries the day for Drake's. Their ties are the perfect marriage of sharpness and sophistication, something achieved by navigating perfectly around the Scylla and Charybdis that are the extremes of flashiness and boringness.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Their taste level is indeed the highest out of any maker around. Nicki/Glazer is the only other maker that is on their level, that I have experience with. Both those makers are usually used together ie; Polo uses both, Paul Stuart, even Flusser used both those makers for a complete collection.

Is Nicki Glaser the manufacturer of ties? Just curious because I did a search and cannot find them.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about their scarves? I bought 5 online, the last 3 from asos.com, pretty expensive, but still can't see if they are better than some Italian brands like Roda or Colombo widely available in Europe

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Is Nicki Glaser the manufacturer of ties? Just curious because I did a search and cannot find them.

Glazer Imports is the USA distributor. They are the rep for Truzzi; Colombo ; Sartoria Partenopea, Valenitni, Sutor Mantellassi and others.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality construction and nearly impeccable taste.

Sums it up for me, but it's the styles and taste that really sell it for me. I just ordeered one of the Tussah's from Will for those reasons.

quar

Reaction score
I think they are excellent value actually. They are priced below the competitors (Charvet, etc.), and give up nothing to them in terms of quality.

The real reason that I have a Drakes-only collection though, is that the length just works for me. I find that other makers produce ties that are too long for my 5"11 height. I can imagine the taller guys here though, would not be pleased with the standard Drakes length.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
I think they are excellent value actually. They are priced below the competitors (Charvet, etc.), and give up nothing to them in terms of quality.

The real reason that I have a Drakes-only collection though, is that the length just works for me. I find that other makers produce ties that are too long for my 5"11 height. I can imagine the taller guys here though, would not be pleased with the standard Drakes length.

I'm 6'2" and like most of their lengths for standard FIH. Plus, having the option to go longer is another benefit of Drakes.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I would like to try some of Drakes ties, but I need a 62" length and by the time I special order them, with a 3 order minimum, I am in to it $525, net of VAT, or so and that seems a bit much. I can and do order from David Hober and get very nice ties (he doesn't have some of the Drakes patterns though) for less and I believe his quality and construction is every bit as good. Do Drakes special order ties ever go on sale?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads