• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear belt

Telleur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Would like to point out that my comment wasn't supposed to be taken literally. Only half-literally.

That's very hard to discern emotions over the Internet, that is why I tend to stray away from comments comme que

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries...when your post count gets high enough, you'll be able to

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Telleur
That's very hard to discern emotions over the Internet, that is why I tend to stray away from comments comme que
n/m!
smile.gif

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
couldnt agree more.

anyone can make an expensive belt ... the real trick is finding someone with the skills to make a decent product (although belt making in and of itself is not rocket science), sourcing fine materials and then getting them to the consumer for a decent price and the us has many.

True that.
The biggest challenge for me as a belt-buyer is finding someone who is willing to source interesting and good-quality leathers for me - not just the average veg. tanned strap, as a belt for me is essentially a medium with which to experience a certain leather - luckily I have two great dudes in the US and UK taking care of that for me!

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'agree with mikecch, scourage, w/e, etc. unlike other fashion products where the material is just a physical/tangible part of the total package [ie, other than concept/design, craftsmanship, brand, etc.], a belt is a belt. the quality of leather is of the utmost importance__ not the brand.

Scott's Unlucky belts [... or belts by other respected forum artisans] are, ounce for ounce, the best buy. 'dare any1 to explain/justify the chasmic difference in price point from branded belts [ie, Samurai, FH, IH, etc.], with repect to overall quality of the product.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
unlike other fashion products where the material is just a physical/tangible part of the total package [ie, other than concept/design, craftsmanship, brand, etc.], a belt is a belt.

The fail is strong

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
'agree with mikecch, scourage, w/e, etc. unlike other fashion products where the material is just a physical/tangible part of the total package [ie, other than concept/design, craftsmanship, brand, etc.], a belt is a belt. the quality of leather is of the utmost importance__ not the brand.

Scott's Unlucky belts [... or belts by other respected forum artisans] are, ounce for ounce, the best buy. 'dare any1 to explain/justify the chasmic difference in price point from branded belts [ie, Samurai, FH, IH, etc.], with repect to overall quality of the product.

he has little to no overhead, liabilities, etc.

comparing my scott belt to my samurai and somet belts i would say they are very comparable. although i wear my somet the most simply because i like the style and lets face it ... somet **** is ******* awesome!

mikecch

Reaction score
^^ I'd have to say, IMO, no matter how good a belt looks, if the materials and construct are flimsy, then the belt is auto-fail, substance before style when it comes to a leather belt (unless you're a ninja.)

Don't forget when you kop an artisan Japanese belt overseas, you're not only paying for the Japanese premium on leather goods, but also the overseas premium on Japanese products.
A Samurai belt, before it arrives at your door, would have to go from Kawatako to Samurai to customs to retailer/overseas distributor, etc...the price includes taxes, everyone's overheads and profits, lalalala.
Sure you can justify spending that much, but I think it's a little silly, especially for those of you who live in the US or UK (countries where there are great local tanneries and a proud tradition of fine leather craftsmenship) not to also consider your neighbours who may be making fine belts.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
^^ I'd have to say, IMO, no matter how good a belt looks, if the materials and construct are flimsy, then the belt is auto-fail, substance before style when it comes to a leather belt (unless you're a ninja.) Don't forget when you kop an artisan Japanese belt overseas, you're not only paying for the Japanese premium on leather goods, but also the overseas premium on Japanese products. A Samurai belt, before it arrives at your door, would have to go from Kawatako to Samurai to customs to retailer/overseas distributor, etc...the price includes taxes, everyone's overheads and profits, lalalala. Sure you can justify spending that much, but I think it's a little silly, especially for those of you who live in the US or UK (countries where there are great local tanneries and a proud tradition of fine leather craftsmenship) not to also consider your neighbours who may be making fine belts.
please tell me your not suggesting my somets are of poor construction! if so, im sending this ****** to you (if you havent already handled on in person).
smile.gif
are they as thick as my samurais and unlucky? no ... but i dont think the thickness of a belt equates to superior quality. they use very similar stitching methods and the leather on my white belt is so soft. plus it has super cool hardware.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
^ Oh, haha, no, no, not at all. I've handled a couple of Somet belts, they are good quality! My comment was aimed at the other posts. Sorry about the confusion.
ah, okay! if you change your mind ill send it to you. you could wear it for a month or so ...

mikecch

Reaction score
^ Haha, thanks for the offer, but my waist size is probably a bit bigger than yours at 36
laugh.gif

Btw, I see BiG has the new Fullcount belts in stock - haven't handled them in person, but they seem much, much better than the old Fullcount belt models (wasn't too impressed with the leather or the unfinished sides on the older ones).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads