• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Anyone have experience with the Canon EFS 15-85mm? My 17-85mm doesn't work anymore in the 17-24 reach, likely because of a defect in the aperture cable. Repairing is probably pretty expensive, and doing it myself is not an option.
No experience, but I hear good things. Only serious complaint I've heard of is that everyone wishes it was faster given the price. If you're happy with the 17-85 and looking to save some bucks, I have one in very good condition that I could probably part with.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
No experience, but I hear good things. Only serious complaint I've heard of is that everyone wishes it was faster given the price.

If you're happy with the 17-85 and looking to save some bucks, I have one in very good condition that I could probably part with.

Thanks, dcg. This defect provides a good excuse to buy something new... I like the extra 2mm and the IS is supposed to be better. And most importantly: I read it's optically better than the 17-85mm. So I think I'm going to start saving.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dcg. This defect provides a good excuse to buy something new... I like the extra 2mm and the IS is supposed to be better. And most importantly: I read it's optically better than the 17-85mm. So I think I'm going to start saving.

All three valid points. Hope you will share your impressions when you get it!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
All three valid points. Hope you will share your impressions when you get it!

I will. For now, I'll keep using the 17-85 (or rather something like 24-85...).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kraands

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Canon EFS 15-85mm? My 17-85mm doesn't work anymore in the 17-24 reach, likely because of a defect in the aperture cable. Repairing is probably pretty expensive, and doing it myself is not an option.

For a crop sensor camera, the only wide angle I'd even consider would be either the canon 10-22 or the tokina 11-16. Both are quite good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_4_5_USM.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_116.html

trader

Reaction score
how bout the 17-55 2.8 IS if you don't need the extra reach. it's the best zoomable lens on a crop (24-70 2.8 might have a bit nicer colors but it's heavy, no IS and the weather sealing doesn't mean much when no crop bodies are sealed)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're getting into lens discussions here, my next 2 purchases (in no particular order) are the Nikkor 16-35mm f4 for landscapes and the 135mm f2 DC for portraits.

Anyone with experience with these? Both will be used on a full-frame, btw so no crop factor to consider.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Good points, both. I'm used to and quite happy with the reach of the 17-85. Makes it a great allrounder for me. A seperate wide angle zoom (or perhaps fixed?) is another (future) option.

Isn't the 17-55 considerably more expensive as well? (Haven't checked the prices lately.)

kraands

Reaction score
^
Good points, both. I'm used to and quite happy with the reach of the 17-85. Makes it a great allrounder for me. A seperate wide angle zoom (or perhaps fixed?) is another (future) option.

Isn't the 17-55 considerably more expensive as well? (Haven't checked the prices lately.)

Not that expensive. That tokina offers a pretty good value considering it's a f2.8 lens (same as the 17-55) and almost half the price. A good friend of mine owned it before upgrading to a 5d and loved it; really sharp, good colors, contrast, etc. The 17-55 is nice too.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraands
Not that expensive. That tokina offers a pretty good value considering it's a f2.8 lens (same as the 17-55) and almost half the price. A good friend of mine owned it before upgrading to a 5d and loved it; really sharp, good colors, contrast, etc. The 17-55 is nice too.

Are you comparing the Tokina 11-16 to the Canon 17-55? They may be the same aperture, but completely different focal ranges.

I believe the 17-55 is about $350 more than the 15-85. Unless you really need f2.8, I'd lean toward the 15-85. If you really want to be faster on the long end, that $350 gets you most of the way to the excellent 85mm f1.8. Or, about halfway to that Tokina 11-16 if you want to go wider.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Are you comparing the Tokina 11-16 to the Canon 17-55? They may be the same aperture, but completely different focal ranges.

I believe the 17-55 is about $350 more than the 15-85. Unless you really need f2.8, I'd lean toward the 15-85. If you really want to be faster on the long end, that $350 gets you most of the way to the excellent 85mm f1.8. Or, about halfway to that Tokina 11-16 if you want to go wider.

I just checked the prices here: €236,- (euro's
frown.gif
) difference. But besides that, I think I'll miss the extra 30mm, so the 15-85 still seems the best option for my situation/wishes. The 85mm is a fixed lens, I presume? I already have a fixed 100mm 2.8 (macro); not the same, of course, but at this moment close enough.

trader

Reaction score
nobd, what kind of photography do you like to do most? or where do you do most of your shooting? indoors, outdoors, night time, etc

85mm is pretty close to 100 but they both have different uses. i own both a 85 1.4 zeiss and 100L macro. the canon 85 1.8 is probably the best lens canon offers in terms of value. if you like to shoot portraits, especially women, then the 85 1.8 is gold.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked the prices here: €236,- (euro's
frown.gif
) difference. But besides that, I think I'll miss the extra 30mm, so the 15-85 still seems the best option for my situation/wishes. The 85mm is a fixed lens, I presume? I already have a fixed 100mm 2.8 (macro); not the same, of course, but at this moment close enough.

I personally haven't used either, but from what I've read the 15-85 does not give up much optically or in terms of build to the 17-55 (actually I've heard that the 15-85 is better built; maybe someone else can confirm). Since you seem to use the long end of the 17-85, I'd think the 15-85 would be a good bet, plus you'll gain the extra 2mm on the wide end (which is pretty substantial).

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: I was typing while dcg posted. You were right about me using the long end more:
Originally Posted by trader
nobd, what kind of photography do you like to do most? or where do you do most of your shooting? indoors, outdoors, night time, etc
Most indoors; people and things (like all the clothing stuff for this forum). I don't use the wide end of the lens much, but it's sometimes nice to shoot some background with the subject (for example my daughter using the whole living room as her playing area). The other end of the lens gives me the possibility to make portraits, without coming to close to the subject. Outdoors I sometimes use it for landscapes, but more often for portraits and close-ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads