• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Umbrella Suggestions

mlongano

Reaction score
I just finally bought a Brigg in oak...wish I had bought it twenty years ago.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The usual recs on here are Fox, Smith, SAB and Howard Yount. J Peterman had some cherry SABs on sale awhile back but I believe we cleaned them out.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Talarico blows away Brigg in quality and price, but you have to take what you can find.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whangee comes at a premium these days, I don't believe BB are quality. There are Davek and Senz, but these are definitely more modern.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Talarico blows away Brigg in quality and price, but you have to take what you can find.

Yep. I love my Talarico, but can't find another with the handle I am looking for and will probably end up settling for something at Rain or Shine (Fox).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Blackwatch umbrella at Howard Yount is awesome and receives nearly endless praise (especially from teh ladiez).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ShedRain makes nice cheap ones. The ribs aren't very strong, but they have a storm flap, which really helps make up for the weaker rib construction. It's extremely hard to have this invert on you. You can buy them for around $15-20. For about the same amount, you can also go with Totes, which is on sale right now at Belt Outlet. It's a fuller sized umbrella, but doesn't have the storm flap.

I personally like my Brooks umbrella, as well. Never had a problem with it. On sale, they're quite a good deal, and Brooks is about to have their Friends and Family sale soon. I picked mine up for $30.

Additionally, Orvis is also selling a Barbour umbrella that I think is handsome. It has tartan design that I like.

Another good one is Davek. They retail for $100, but you often see them on Gilt for around $50.

Howard Yount's are incredible. They're handmade by a third-generation family-owned umbrella company in Italy. The shaft is one solid stick of chestnut wood, which is really nice. It's a bit heavier than the other options, because of that full wooden shaft, but it's much better looking.

Finally, for really high end ones, Briggs, Talarico, and Francesco Maglia are incredible. All three have OTR models, but they'll also make you bespoke umbrellas. Depending what kind you get, they'll run you between $200 to $1,000

bonded

Reaction score
Thank you, all. I've decided to go with the Howard Yount. It is a decent price point and I like the solid wood construction. Love the Briggs, but I'm not ready to jump up to that price yet.

Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads