• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
The level of flake buyers has continued to increase exponentially (maybe westside can graph this trend for me on his new TI-83?)
facepalm.gif

lol8[1].gif

Also, check ebay for TI-83s if you need one. Last I looked there were hundreds starting at a penny. I was checking the price to see if it was worth selling mine. It wasn't.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
so i'm finally understanding what it takes to have some patients and save up the extra cash to buy what you really want. spend it on that 'better' quality shirt or pants or shoes. pay the 'premium' to love something that you 'invest' in for a long time. looking at my wardrobe i probably have collected low to high end pieces that i enjoy wearing daily (student concept) and other pieces that i'll wear on occasion. anyways, my dilemma lately is the idea of tailoring basics (with all the talk of basics etc etc beat to death topic). Is it really worth it to have a dozen shirts tailored or better to start from scratch and buy better fitting tops from the beginning? my feeling on this is that it may cost me well over $100 (i have quite a lot of shirts) to have them all tailored etc. (Sleeve widths just a tad wide i guess, i really don't mind the shoulders/chest/waist) Will probably find my best fitting shirt and just ask to use it as a template for other shirts. so i may be set back $100 +/-, and i also know $100 +/- will not buy me anything really tho, but as i formerly stated, it could be a start to saving up for a new 'collection'. (e.g. 'no kop feb' was probably the best thing that i committed to in terms of shopping for my wardrobe). tl;dr -- should i spend hundred or MORE to have all my shirts tailored, or just get rid of and rebuy? (i mean NOT all my shirts are ****** fit, but you know...i.e. i just ordered some rugby oxfords and expect them to be a lot better than my j.crew/LEC so in turn i will dump my j.crew/LEC and buy more rugby,ToJ, etc. etc. )
Tailor a couple shirts, see if the change in fit makes a big difference for you. If it does, then go for it. If you find that even with the tailoring, you still would rather something nicer (gitman, BoO etc.) then save your money and go for that. Also, consider your clothing priorities and why you're spending money. Do you like variety, or do you like having a consistent couple of looks that you like? If you're more about variety and get bored easily, or if you have a habit of destroying your things, then get your lower quality ****. If you want to wear a certain look into the ground, then save your money and buy a couple higher end items.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
lol8[1].gif

Also, check ebay for TI-83s if you need one. Last I looked there were hundreds starting at a penny. I was checking the price to see if it was worth selling mine. It wasn't.

For what it's worth. I still have my TI-81 graphing calculator from High School and it's still going strong let's just say, years later. I have no idea what the difference between the 83 and 81 model are, but graphing calculator funcitons can't be that much different these days can they?

Isn't there an app for that now?
smile.gif

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ thanks for the input and fixed(?)

and it's not so much as quality that i will be wearing and tearing my clothes down to the ground. i am more concerned of the overall fit and then quality. i think about tailoring a few shirts and see the turn out is a good idea. but personally i have a bad habit/ocd in making things as orderly and identical as possible. i think it'll bug me that some shirts received a 'treatment' while others did not.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
so you were operating illegally !

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
so i'm finally understanding what it takes to have self-control/patient and save up the extra cash to buy what you really want. spend it on that 'better' quality shirt or pants or shoes. pay the 'premium' to love something that you 'invest' in for a long time. ...
tl;dr -- should i spend hundred or MORE to have all my shirts tailored, or just get rid of and rebuy? (i mean NOT all my shirts are ****** fit, but you know...i.e. i just ordered some rugby [brand]oxfords and expect them to be a lot better than my j.crew/LEC so in turn i will dump my j.crew/LEC and buy more rugby [brand],ToJ, etc. etc. )

Does not compute. Does not compute.

And didn't you just buy some New Balances?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
come on those new balances were made in the UK!! quality!! lol

all i was really asking was if it is worth the extra cost to tailor cheap shirts e.g. all my shirts cost like $20-40 at time or purchase and now i want to spend an extra mount to have them tailored. worth it? i'll just wait tell the new shirts come in...

'invest and better quality' i.e. jcrew then LEC (though both are comparable i guess) then rugby then BoO/Brooks brother/OC/N&F shirts, and finally ToJ (ultimate?) lol. I was speaking in terms of progression through the stages of investing in quality. Like when i first joined SF i started there and now i am learning to make it here.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
What's the point? Just skip to whatever stage it is you think your "goal" is.

Achieve OCBD Nirvana!!!!!

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
****, forgot bout that.

Goddamn Paypal. I shipped a blazer once that disappeared. Or so the buyer claimed. I sent it without a tracking number and got fucked over by Paypal. Lost the blazer and they deducted the money from my account.

don't worry about tracking, just make sure it comes with insurance. If you have the receipt, you should be able to claim on it.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are right Uncontrol, i should sell/get rid of what i do not like and come to terms. It's costly to make the transition i guess is what i am getting at. fml

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
What's the point? Just skip to whatever stage it is you think your "goal" is.
Agreed. Part of the reason I save for something I truly want is because the whole idea of buying something now in anticipation of buying something better in the future can become maddening. And keep in mind, gettoasty, that almost nothing that anyone on here buys, with perhaps the exception of rare watches, is an investment of any sort. My advice would be to not buy anything until you know what it is that you want, and slowly pick up a piece here and there. It's probably taken me at least two years to get to the point where I am happy with what I have, which is not a huge amount of clothing, with very little turnover.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
Ti-89 Ftw!!
Yea that's what I need. Integrating FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads