• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
1000000055.JPG

The scale of the gingham in that shirt still doesn't work with the formality of your suiting.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I would take the opposite view, that gunboats only work with narrow/tapered trousers. This is the standard Neopolitan gunboat look. Check out pics of mafoofan, iammatt, or Mariano Rubinacci for examples. They all wear fairly drapey jackets too, particularly MR.

Still think gunboats should never be work with suits (or ever for that matter).

+1 x2

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too nice a day to spend much time commenting. Those of you who looked good; well done and the pearly gates are now open to you. Those that didn't; repent your sins while enjoying the fires of sartorial hell.

NZNVX.jpg

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments / feedback on the post from yesterday, gents.

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Picture is wigging me out. I keep seeing teal in the placket til I look at it again closely. I'm sure it's just the lighting.

And if you keep starring even longer ... you will see things that you will never forget!

Originally Posted by MBreinin
<SNIP>
Mike

I would go with a more contrasting (lighter) shirt, personally.

Originally Posted by Lawyer
Hello guys, i'm new on this forum. Let me introduce myself first. I'm an Dutch law student from Amsterdam. This will be mine first post on here.

Welcome. The suit looks WAY too small for you.

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
<SNIP>

Now THIS is how a slim cut suit should fit - no pulling, no bunching. I agree with the point about the lower buttoning point as well.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take the opposite view, that gunboats only work with narrow/tapered trousers. This is the standard Neopolitan gunboat look. Check out pics of mafoofan, iammatt, or Mariano Rubinacci for examples. They all wear fairly drapey jackets too, particularly MR. Still think gunboats should never be work with suits (or ever for that matter).
Originally Posted by NOBD
+1 x2
really? have some pics to share of gunboats with tapered/narrow trousers and it looking proportionally good? i'd like to be edified.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
1000000055.JPG

1000000057.JPG

I like it...about as far one can push style while still being office appropriate (for most offices at least...)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
really? have some pics to share of gunboats with tapered/narrow trousers and it looking proportionally good?

i'd like to be edified.

Well, I think these work, YMMV.

106-1.JPG

Faconnable-1.JPG

Freeze-1.JPG

JPHell1.JPG

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Tone It The F*** Down.
Huh. Now it seems obvious.
laugh.gif

really? have some pics to share of gunboats with tapered/narrow trousers and it looking proportionally good?
I, too, would like to see the photographic evidence for that claim.

@Mike: Your trousers don't look all that tapered in those pix.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You think there's not enough contrast? I thought the dusty pink was just enough for the grey nailhead.

The better light really shows off the fabric which is very nice. I still think the grey with that shirt and tie combo don't show it off at it's best. Still a bit muted and could use contrast. That tie would be ideal with a solid navy jacket/suit. The weave and color of the grey jacket will be enhanced with more contrast against the shirt and tie.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lufty - i know you like the sack coat ... and the gunboats, but i dont know if you can have the two and have skinny pants. Quite a few of your fits suffer from this affliction. Your pants need to be proportional to your jacket and shoes, particularly the proportions from the knee to the leg opening...

Your standing objection is noted. But as I've noted before, these are the standard BB sack suit trou. These are 100% stock. I find the aesthetic appealing, and I am not going to mess with the classic proportions of BB Americana.

I do have a few odd sack coats too - but I dont mind the slim trou sack coat contrast on an odd coat/trou combo. Especially with the gunboats. Is it necessarily harmonious? Maybe not, but that's how I'm going to roll with it for now.

I would take the opposite view, that gunboats only work with narrow/tapered trousers. This is the standard Neopolitan gunboat look. Check out pics of mafoofan, iammatt, or Mariano Rubinacci for examples. They all wear fairly drapey jackets too, particularly MR.

Still think gunboats should never be work with suits (or ever for that matter).

Gunboats are by far my favorite shoe. Versatile. Functional. Not overly dainty. There's a standing objection by several forumites to my persistent gunboat wearing. But it's not going to change. In fact, I'm itchin to pick up three more - one in white suede (instead of bucks for summer) and another in oxblood, and navy AE MacNeils (budget permitting).

My gunboats aren't going anywhere.
biggrin.gif

Am I stubborn? Yes. But I'll change it when I get tired of them. Which is not anytime soon.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer

@Mike: Your trousers don't look all that tapered in those pix.

The brown cords are Mabitex. I think they had an 8 inch opening. The brown with cuffs are Borrelli, they may be 8.5 inches. The suit is a vintage Brooks Sack, again, around 8.5 inches. That is relatively tapered. Not ankle huggers, but certainly not straight legged either. I think the look is fine, especially when you have shoulders like me. To be honest, I don't like ultra sleek shoes as they have a tendency to look effeminate on me. I need some balance. Plus, I just love a longwing.

Mike

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macaroni
Coat: Mazurczak & Trzaska bespoke
trousers: Mystkowski bespoke
shirt, tie: Emanuel Berg
Shoes: C&J
PS: Calabrese.

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4125copy.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4075copy.jpg

Marvelous!

Originally Posted by Ash
My first post in this forum.

Yesterday worn as wedding guest.

Best regards,
Ash[/SPOILER]

Very nice! A few minor points: the tie is too long, the shirt cuffs are too wide or the shirt sleeves are too long.

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Like this. Think you've posted it before, and I said the same then, but it bears repeating!

Dressed a bit more soberly than usual as teaching today:

Db2Dq.jpg
[/SPOILER]

I like this a lot!

Originally Posted by gnatty8
Thursday:

P1030709-Version2.jpg

P1030705.jpg
[/SPOILER]

worship.gif
as usual.

Originally Posted by IST66
1-142.jpg

3-72.jpg

2-102.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Missed your posting. I'm glad you're back!

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
523c4e25.jpg

92ad67a1.jpg

7f3502bb.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Could I borrow that suit forever?

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Monday RAF Blue
110418072.jpg

110418073.jpg

*must remember to pull my pantaloons up..
[/SPOILER]

inlove.gif
worship.gif

Originally Posted by Orgetorix
DSCF7599.jpg
DSCF7601.jpg
DSCF7602.jpg
Very nice! And I have the same tie.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ndw
Last days of f/w wear.

5i6Xn.jpg
fMmRP.jpg

xrVUC.jpg
Great colors.

Originally Posted by spoozy
Plus a ******* million!

Herzlich willkommen, P!
smile.gif

Nice, really digging that.

Sweet wheels!

Much better than the spoozylistic pattern-frenzy you showed before (can´t believe i quote myself in a negative way
smile.gif
). Trou might need a bit more length....

Don´t favor the tie, but the suit is nice.

Awesome.

Trying hard to match all colours...:

5631827072_954f91c222_z.jpg
5631245405_2518b2316b_z.jpg
5632716610_3a10184d6a_z.jpg
5631245535_fcfe03fa97_z.jpg
Wow, those shoes work surprisingly well!

Originally Posted by gregaz
A few recent shots ... two with the same coat even!

DSC_3602.jpg
DSC_5288.JPG

DSC_3603.JPG

DSC_3798.JPG

DSC_5282.JPG
Awesome stuff, except for the horizontally striped tie. Not a fan of that combo.

Originally Posted by TTO

-TTO
P.S. any feedback on the fit and balance of the coat would be helpful as I plan on another order with these tailors but feel this isn't quite there yet?
inlove.gif
with those shoes. They look great with that suit.

PTaxes1.JPG

PTaxes2.JPG

Mike
Great fit and colors, Mike.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that there aren't many postings here lately. That is such a pity. Although I didn't have an occasion to wear a jacket lately, I still made some fit pictures over the weekend after getting a new mirror and a new phone. These are more SW&D style, so feel free to ignore them if they are boring.

Shopping and errands during the day:
dc4JY.jpg
5kdzQ.jpg

Late dinner with gf in the evening:
9EJyq.jpg
Q3GSK.jpg

Salsa club night:
0CBV2.jpg
9A4LW.jpg

Going to work:
xQyme.jpg
FipQk.jpg

Sunday:
fJYan.jpg
BVoQF.jpg

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Am I stubborn? Yes. But I'll change it when I get tired of them. Which is not anytime soon.
my bad ... lol.
Well, I think these work, YMMV.
None of them are "skinny" per se. The proportions are spot on, IMO.
Originally Posted by acecow
Some nice fits in there acecow ... but you need some new blue jeans

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Sunday:
fJYan.jpg
BVoQF.jpg

Where did these come from, and are there any more? I'm thinking about acquiring some yellow trousers for some spring/summer GTH fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads