• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcbrown
By "appropriate for the rain" I assume you are getting at how the sole will hold up to rain (as opposed to traction, or the upper). I haven't seen any evidence that the "double waterloc" sole necessarily holds up better over time and a range of real-world conditions than a conventional double sole, let alone a double sole with topys (with comparable care, usage, etc.). My personal opinion is if it keeps my feet dry, it's fine in the rain. I have yet to see a sole spontaneously disintegrate because I stepped in a puddle.

Yeah. I meant both the sole and the upper. Alden's double leather soles are pretty hearty; as long as they get some break in, I would imagine they would be OK in rainy conditions even without topys. I also was talking about the upper, though. I prefer not to wear cordovan in the rain because of the "bubble" thing that happens to it (I know it goes away with brushing). Wearing cordovan in bad weather is probably fine on boots like the tanker or alden but I don't know how often I would want to do it with longwings, PTBs, loafers, etc

madmadigan

Reaction score
Please don't flame me for posting this here, but I thought I could get the best info! I recently bought a pair of timberland boot company counterpane boots, and the are a black leather. I read that they use Horween leathers. I know the leather quality is NOT as good as alden, just hoping someone can tell me best leather cleaner/conditioner or whatever I should be using to keep the leather in good shape.

I am working my way up to aldens!! But again, not trying to compare these to alden, just looking for some info on best stuff to put on the leather! Thanks again

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I also was talking about the upper, though. I prefer not to wear cordovan in the rain because of the "bubble" thing that happens to it (I know it goes away with brushing). Wearing cordovan in bad weather is probably fine on boots like the tanker or alden but I don't know how often I would want to do it with longwings, PTBs, loafers, etc

Can't help you there - I feel more comfortable wearing cordovan in the rain than I do wearing calfskin because I consider it lower maintenance. I know many others feel differently. Either way, I think either is "ok" in the rain with reasonable care (letting the shoes dry thoroughly, rotation, appropriate conditioning & polishing, etc.).

I may be less fussy with my footware than most, however. As evidence, my AF53's after a recent day out and about.
smile.gif

Danito

Reaction score
Alert!!!!

Just saw a new alden boot at The J Crew store on Madison Ave. It a Plain toe boot with the same Chromexcel leather that is used on the indy 403. It also has a leather dress sole as opposed to the beefy cork sole. $460.

feel free to ask Q's......

vivalet

Reaction score
I don't have any, but will get some, thanks! The spots are still there after some brushing, but it seems like they have faded a little, so there is hope?!

Originally Posted by PorterInjax
So, I assume you're sure that you removed all that you could with a damp rag? Been brushing for a bit also?
Do you have any Saphir Renovateur to try?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Danito
Alert!!!!

Just saw a new alden boot at The J Crew store on Madison Ave. It a Plain toe boot with the same Chromexcel leather that is used on the indy 403. It also has a leather dress sole as opposed to the beefy cork sole. $460.

feel free to ask Q's......

Are you sure they were Alden? I know J.Crew is now selling Crockett and Jones boots, specifically the Coniston (which is awesome), and they might be taken for Aldens. Then again, I doubt the Conistons will be selling for 460. Brown Chromexcel plain toes would be awesome.

I do have to rant: I can't stand J.Crew basically pushing all the smaller Alden retailers down the priority list. It took Moulded Shoe 14 months to receive their Modified Indy Boots (which is why I snagged them in a good fitting, but not optimal size).

J.Crew's makeups are not nearly as cool as the smaller retailers, such as Leathersoul, J.Gilbert, Alden of Carmel, Moulded Shoe, ShoeMart, Blackbird, etc., etc.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Are you sure they were Alden? I know J.Crew is now selling Crockett and Jones boots, specifically the Coniston (which is awesome), and they might be taken for Aldens. Then again, I doubt the Conistons will be selling for 460. Brown Chromexcel plain toes would be awesome. I do have to rant: I can't stand J.Crew basically pushing all the smaller Alden retailers down the priority list. It took Moulded Shoe 14 months to receive their Modified Indy Boots (which is why I snagged them in a good fitting, but not optimal size). J.Crew's makeups are not nearly as cool as the smaller retailers, such as Leathersoul, J.Gilbert, Alden of Carmel, Moulded Shoe, ShoeMart, Blackbird, etc., etc.
I don't know what they are but you can see some pictures of J.Crew's preview here (from above): http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=12057 I agree with you, btw.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivalet
I don't have any, but will get some, thanks! The spots are still there after some brushing, but it seems like they have faded a little, so there is hope?!

Yeah, I think there is hope. However, I have several pair of shells and two pair of mine have the tiny bumps from getting slightly damp in the rain. They have now been there for about a year and I don't expect them to completely go away. They DID drastically improve over a couple months time and lots of brushing.

cimabue

Reaction score
Do not like the lasts used for those J Crew boots. They look ill-fitting on the models. Do not look like Aldens to me. I'd be surprised if they were.

mcross4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Yeah. I meant both the sole and the upper. Alden's double leather soles are pretty hearty; as long as they get some break in, I would imagine they would be OK in rainy conditions even without topys. I also was talking about the upper, though. I prefer not to wear cordovan in the rain because of the "bubble" thing that happens to it (I know it goes away with brushing). Wearing cordovan in bad weather is probably fine on boots like the tanker or alden but I don't know how often I would want to do it with longwings, PTBs, loafers, etc

Alden of Carmel has several calfskin options, all with Commando sole. I know there are very strong opinions as to whether or not Commando is appropriate/acceptable for a suit. I think it is acceptable in certain circumstances, but it's ultimately a personal choice. If commando sole would work for you, AOC has longwings, a couple of oxfords, and also a couple of PT boots. I have the AF89s, love them, and have worn them with a suit.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FENWAY
^ Wearing my Crew Tobacco LWs today in the light rain....no issues. Most comfortable Aldens I own. Those WPs looked great too.

The J Crew are definitely more of a casual/business casual shoe. The WP version is darker and IMO, more suited for a suit.

astris

Reaction score
Does anyone have a blucher in stock with antique edges that's not a wingtip? Can't seem to find something like this anywhere.

Just noticed these and they fit the bill, just a little less formal than I'm looking for.

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_si...tureColor=true

Looks like a fantastic summer shoe. Still may have to pick them up.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by astris
Does anyone have a blucher in stock with antique edges that's not a wingtip? Can't seem to find something like this anywhere.

Just noticed these and they fit the bill, just a little less formal than I'm looking for.

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_si...tureColor=true

Looks like a fantastic summer shoe. Still may have to pick them up.

The Indy boot is. Just saying...

Danito

Reaction score
Hey,

Just picked up my first pair of Aldens: Cordovan Cap toe color # 8.

Any words of wisdom for an Alden amateur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics