• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Awesome until one is tempted to do the math. Do they do interventions on Alden compulsions?

Mine finally subsided, and now I am just happy to wear the ones I have. Shoe collection should last ten years easy. No longer want moar
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Mine finally subsided, and now I am just happy to wear the ones I have. Shoe collection should last ten years easy. No longer want moar
smile.gif

Let me guess, you've removed Leather Soul, Leffot and ShoeMart from your bookmarks haven't you?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Let me guess, you've removed Leather Soul, Leffot and ShoeMart from your bookmarks haven't you?

Still look at all those sites pretty regularly. Style Forum, not so much.

For a while there, I think the main source of need-for-shoe feeling was the change of seasons. This would bring on the realization that I did not have what would be just right for the upcoming transition.

Now, rolling into spring and looking ahead to summer, over the weekend I pulled out all these great shoes from storage. Many I have not worn in eight months. And they hit the spot. I am looking forward to working them into the rotation (can only fit about seven pairs in main closet, so that is what I usually wear any given month or two).

Five years of buying a pair or two every time the weather started to turn ... and ... I'm good.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an update on the medallion captoe in ravello/plaza last....Spoke to Kathy, or is it Cathy, at Alden of DC on Saturday.

She said she has been really busy but she did plan to put the order through.

Seeing its almsot May, maybe we'll see these by Christmas? Would be the perfect self-gift, no?

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Still look at all those sites pretty regularly. Style Forum, not so much. For a while there, I think the main source of need-for-shoe feeling was the change of seasons. This would bring on the realization that I did not have what would be just right for the upcoming transition. Now, rolling into spring and looking ahead to summer, over the weekend I pulled out all these great shoes from storage. Many I have not worn in eight months. And they hit the spot. I am looking forward to working them into the rotation (can only fit about seven pairs in main closet, so that is what I usually wear any given month or two). Five years of buying a pair or two every time the weather started to turn ... and ... I'm good.
Would be interested in hearing more about your collection. Care to list? Finding the right cut off point is something I've been thinking a lot about.

Patrick James

Reaction score
Sorry to seemingly intrude on this thread but, could someone please PM me a link to the Alden sizing grid? I came across it the other day and foolishly forgot to bookmark it.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This weather in NYC has been a downer recently... I suspect we have a few months to go of this mess

Looking for an Alden shoe in calf that can be worn with a suit or slacks and is appropriate for the rain...

I'm thinking this

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...8582/18582.jsp

Is a good alternative to Winn Perry's double waterloc walnut longwings (which I assume are sold out).

Thoughts?

FENWAY

Reaction score
^ Wearing my Crew Tobacco LWs today in the light rain....no issues. Most comfortable Aldens I own. Those WPs looked great too.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
This weather in NYC has been a downer recently... I suspect we have a few months to go of this mess

Looking for an Alden shoe in calf that can be worn with a suit or slacks and is appropriate for the rain...

I'm thinking this

Is a good alternative to Winn Perry's double waterloc walnut longwings (which I assume are sold out).

Thought?

I have those Aldens and do indeed love them, but sometimes I feel like they are a bit light for suit wear. I do wear them, but I always wish they were just a shade darker. The color as shown on line really don't do the shoes justice.

The darker brown Alden LWBs that J Crew offers is too dark for my tastes. Not much depth to the color. Though I did see that pair on sale in the Paramus store, and the shade was lighter. So guess it depends which cow you're wearing...

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
I have those Aldens and do indeed love them, but sometimes I feel like they are a bit light for suit wear. I do wear them, but I always wish they were just a shade darker. The color as shown on line really don't do the shoes justice.

The darker brown Alden LWBs that J Crew offers is too dark for my tastes. Not much depth to the color. Though I did see that pair on sale in the Paramus store, and the shade was lighter. So guess it depends which cow you're wearing...

switch between neutral shoe polish and a medium-dark brown. should darken them nicely over time and give them character.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Speaking of a cap toe cordovan boot, anyone sell it with the commando sole?

sherman brothers has them on order in the aberdeen. idk if it's too late to get in on those. they are doing cigar now.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades

I'm thinking this

Thoughts?

By "appropriate for the rain" I assume you are getting at how the sole will hold up to rain (as opposed to traction, or the upper). I haven't seen any evidence that the "double waterloc" sole necessarily holds up better over time and a range of real-world conditions than a conventional double sole, let alone a double sole with topys (with comparable care, usage, etc.). My personal opinion is if it keeps my feet dry, it's fine in the rain. I have yet to see a sole spontaneously disintegrate because I stepped in a puddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads