• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
actually the b/w pic is great because it makes you appreciate the cut of everything (another great sack) and the repp tie/longwings complete the Americana conservative business dress vibe, even though I dilike the gunboats. For me, at that point the color pic can only be a let down.

don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the aesthetic appeal of a b/w pic and agree that it looks more than great here, but my assumption in this thread is that it focuses more on reality than nice pics compared to other waywt threads

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this suit pattern would make the cut as conservative business dress, or the knit tie for that matter, but it is pretty subdued. Plus, black shoes.
lol8[1].gif

PTaxes1.JPG

PTaxes2.JPG

Mike

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, very nice Mike!
-TTO

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Not sure if this suit pattern would make the cut as conservative business dress, or the knit tie for that matter, but it is pretty subdued. Plus, black shoes.
lol8[1].gif

PTaxes1.JPG

PTaxes2.JPG

Mike

Looks slightly iffy on the suit (emphasis on slightly) but really seems fine in my eye.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
actually the b/w pic is great because it makes you appreciate the cut of everything (another great sack) and the repp tie/longwings complete the Americana conservative business dress vibe, even though I dilike the gunboats. For me, at that point the color pic can only be a let down.

Originally Posted by aeglus
don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the aesthetic appeal of a b/w pic and agree that it looks more than great here, but my assumption in this thread is that it focuses more on reality than nice pics compared to other waywt threads

Ed nailed it. Focus is on fit in the b/w. Also, the lighting today was so bad that details could be seen only in the b/w pic.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great Mike. This suit makes you look taller. Maybe it's the trou?

Maybe would have used a blue ps instead of the white. Or maybe white with a blue piping.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate the distinction a lot more than you all may think. I'm working with people that do quite a bit of international work and though my emphasis is strictly on the English language, my qualifications and background make them look to me for a bit more than that (at least on clothes...). I definitely don't want to disappoint them and let them know what different regions feel is acceptable if not conservative (I live in Korea where just about anything flies so this really isn't about me as much as I'd like to say).

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Around here they'd be more conservative business dress than black suede.
smile.gif

-TTO

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks slightly iffy on the suit (emphasis on slightly) but really seems fine in my eye.

Cool.

Originally Posted by luftvier
Looks great Mike. This suit makes you look taller. Maybe it's the trou?

Maybe would have used a blue ps instead of the white. Or maybe white with a blue piping.

It may be that I raised my camera about a foot. I discovered my tripod has a telescoping feature...3 months after I bought it.
lol8[1].gif

I think there would be too much blue with a blue square.

Mike

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool.

It may be that I raised my camera about a foot. I discovered my tripod has a telescoping feature...3 months after I bought it.
lol8[1].gif

I think there would be too much blue with a blue square.

Mike

Mike, did you forget your collar stays? I like the suit, but would have worn a white shirt.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Like your fit though Org, though I think your proportions are off with jacket/trouser... jacket might be a little long... like a hair or something).

lol8[1].gif
There is no satisfying you people when it comes to jacket length.

Not trying to cause any argument but are bowties in outfits outside of tuxedos considered conservative business dress? I don't mean historically but rather in this day and age. I think in Korea even I'd get reamed for that; despite peak lapels going unnoticed.

Originally Posted by Manton
Bow ties are conservative business dress in the South.

My office is in the South, by several hundred yards. So the bow is conservative business dress.
smile.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO
Nice, very nice Mike!
-TTO

Thanks, Theo.

Originally Posted by Orgetorix

My office is in the South, by several hundred yards. So the bow is conservative business dress.
smile.gif

I would say you are well into the South in KY. The South officially starts between below PA, although try telling people in Louisiana that you are a Southerner, having grown up in Md.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by JayJay
Mike, did you forget your collar stays? I like the suit, but would have worn a white shirt.

No, they are in there. This collar just has a tendency to roll like that. I don't really have a white shirt that I like, I need to add a few good ones.

Mike

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say you are well into the South in KY. The South officially starts between below PA, although try telling people in Louisiana that you are a Southerner, having grown up in Md.
lol8[1].gif

Well, I'm only in Kentucky by a few hundred yards--I can see Indiana from my desk.

Kentucky, and especially Louisville, is the black sheep of US regions. Nobody claims it. If you're from the South, Louisville is definitely not the South. if you're from the Midwest, Kentucky is not the Midwest. Etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
205px-Henry_Clay.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics