• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
1000000055.JPG

I know that you pooh-poohed this combo as "too easy", but that's the way in which that shirt was designed to be best worn - looking good, AS.

I think it'd look better without a tie to be honest. Then again, I'm sure it's obvious that I really dislike gingham shirts with ties.

That said, I like purples and greys together, and I am happy that the PS is plain.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-TTO
P.S. any feedback on the fit and balance of the coat would be helpful as I plan on another order with these tailors but feel this isn't quite there yet?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
upr_crust;4377565 said:
Originally Posted by acridsheep
1000000055.JPG
QUOTE]

I know that you pooh-poohed this combo as "too easy", but that's the way in which that shirt was designed to be best worn - looking good, AS.

I'm still not sold on the large gingham worn with a suit. I do think it looks good with the tie though. Got an odd jacket to try it with Acrid?

Originally Posted by Lawyer
Hello guys, i'm new on this forum. Let me introduce myself first. I'm an Dutch law student from Amsterdam. This will be mine first post on here.
Afbeelding003.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality of the last picture, camera problems it seems. Need to fix it
smile.gif
Afbeelding001.jpg

Too tight and that tie knot is approaching Mr. Spiffy size (gonna have to search for that one). The way the pants cinch at the knees is giving your legs a very feminine shape.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO

P.S. any feedback on the fit and balance of the coat would be helpful as I plan on another order with these tailors but feel this isn't quite there yet?

-Chest vs weight suppression proportions seem off from the drape on the chest in the first pic; looks ok in the second so probably nothing wrong. -Shoulders could be a tad smaller -Sleeve pitch looks off by a lot. The cuffs on the sleeve might be adding to that. -Sleeves look a little short but who cares, matches your shirt. -trousers could be cut better for you but I'll let someone else go into specifics; could be another picture problem too. -jacket could be a tad longer... I like shorter jackets too though so this is really nitpicking Overall it's nice since I'm used to seeing you in clothes that seem too small and this one looks like the basic shape is there
redface.gif
(I liked how your last couple of fits were as well though as far as fit goes) PS I think I'm "hard" on you a lot because I think you do pretty well as far as overall fit goes in case you wonder why I always complain about your fits
redface.gif
Additionally I like the collar on you. Definitely think you should nix the club collar in favor of spread like this. At least as long as you keep your beard.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Too tight and that tie knot is approaching Mr. Spiffy size (gonna have to search for that one). The way the pants cinch at the knees is giving your legs a very feminine shape.

+1. Lots of pulling at the waist, and too much shirt and tie peeking out at the bottom.

Welcome to SF though!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO

-TTO

I like the LOLWUT face in the background there.

Coat nitpicks: Looks like it's snug at the buttoning point and maybe the shoulders (bowing lapels). Rippling in the sleeves seems to show that the pitch may be off. Buttoning point is also a bit high for my preference. Note: I am not a tailor, so my opinion as you will.

TITFD Tuesday.
Predictions for the day: I expect that Manton will not favor my socks; that ed will dislike my gunboats; and that fritzl will recommend that I relegate them to denim-wear-only.

Excuse the poor colors and B/W fit pic, but it's overcast today and my phone camera doesn't perform well under flourescent lights. The colors in the third photo are the most true to life.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO

Main issues I see are the sleeve torquing and the collar, which could be a bit higher and tighter around the neck. Looks good, otherwise!

DSCF7606.jpg
DSCF7607.jpg
DSCF7610.jpg

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO
-TTO P.S. any feedback on the fit and balance of the coat would be helpful as I plan on another order with these tailors but feel this isn't quite there yet?
The fit on that coat looks spot on
smile.gif
Edit: Maybe a bit full in the chest in the first photo? Doesn't seem apparent in the second.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, i'm new on this forum. Let me introduce myself first. I'm an Dutch law student from Amsterdam. This will be mine first post on here.

Afbeelding003.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality of the last picture, camera problems it seems. Need to fix it
smile.gif
Afbeelding001.jpg

Dutch, American, Italian, or Japanese - this suit is far too snug on you. While you may be striving for Tom Ford, your suit maker failed to deliver that aesthetic.

The sleeves and body are too short by at least an inch. The trousers are cut really poorly- it's hard to tell exactly what's wrong due to the blurry photo - but it makes your lower half look like a woman wearing bellbottoms.

I would not order a custom suit from this maker again, as they see to be a bit clueless as to proper fit.

This is not a knock on you personally, nor an attack on your preferred aesthetic, merely my observations on that fit - which is deficient in many ways.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dont know who Mr. Spiffy is, explain ;p, but i like the tomford style, it might doesn't fit the american standards but for me it does work out (italian fit). It's custom made.
I'd suggest you get a new tailor unless you forced your tailor to make it that small; everything seems at least one size too small on you, even for Tom Ford style (for Tom Ford styling take a look at how Spoo does his fits... that's how it should fit). Your fit is not Italian fit at all and much too small; no offense intended.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Is it possible that your tailor only slimmed them from the knees down? He's given them kind of a jodhpurs-like silhouette, and that's not too flattering. Make him fix it, if possible.

Yeah I see what you mean.

Anyone have much experience with pleated-front pants know the best way to go about this? I remember him pinning the pants up into the thigh on the inside, as well as taking in the seat a little bit as it was a little too generously cut for my admittedly ample posterior. Should I ask him to take them in on the outside seam as well?

I'm worried that by trying to slim the upper-thigh area too much, it will pull at the pleats and make them look worse. Maybe I need a combination of taking them in a bit up top and letting them out again down low?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn

Anyone have much experience with pleated-front pants know the best way to go about this? I remember him pinning the pants up into the thigh on the inside, as well as taking in the seat a little bit as it was a little too generously cut for my admittedly ample posterior. Should I ask him to take them in on the outside seam as well?

I'm worried that by trying to slim the upper-thigh area too much, it will pull at the pleats and make them look worse. Maybe I need a combination of taking them in a bit up top and letting them out again down low?

This is a silly quesiton, but are you wearing the trou at your natural waist, e.g. at your navel?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn

I'm pretty sure Niidawg's blog talks a lot about how to dress as a bigger guy. Worth reading I think.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall very good. Maybe just a bit too much of a pinch at the waist creating a little too much pull? That is a personal thing but it does effect the drape of the chest. I like a little pinch. But sometimes just a week of corporate dinning will do that too.

Originally Posted by TTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads