• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
I thought G&G standard width was E and not D. This probably the explanation for the tightness. And yes, they are UK size labeled.
UK E width = US D width

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Have you tried wearing a wet sock to stretch shoes? I think it helps the shoe conform to the shape of your foot. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=13
This sounds very much like what one does when breaking in a new pair of rock climbing shoes. With those though, you wear them in the shower for a week or so, then an hour or so after. Makes them beautiful. P.S. : Personally though, I still vote for the amputation thing.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Eh, you are somewhat right... for example, I wear a 9F or 9.5E. They both fit me fine, and I am a US10D. Presumably a 10D would 'work' for me. My advice--wear them a few more times before doing anything drastic! Except for the amputations, that sounds reasonable.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Eh, you are somewhat right... for example, I wear a 9F or 9.5E. They both fit me fine, and I am a US10D. Presumably a 10D would 'work' for me. My advice--wear them a few more times before doing anything drastic! Except for the amputations, that sounds reasonable.

Who really needs a pinky toe, anyhow?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who really needs a pinky toe, anyhow?

Exactly! Plus, I've heard it has a nice slimming effect on the foot AND you get one of those very stylish handicap tags.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, purely aesthetic. I would not worry though Spoo, it took me a while for my G&Gs to fit properly, but now they wear very nicely. They crease a bit for a wholecut, but that has to be expected with a less-than-perfect fit. My damn big toes are the bane of my existence.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Exactly, purely aesthetic. I would not worry though Spoo, it took me a while for my G&Gs to fit properly, but now they wear very nicely. They crease a bit for a wholecut, but that has to be expected with a less-than-perfect fit. My damn big toes are the bane of my existence.

Thanks for the advice man. So you are a standard 1/2 US size bigger than me - what lasts are you taking a 9 and which ones are you taking a 9.5 in?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man. So you are a standard 1/2 US size bigger than me - what lasts are you taking a 9 and which ones are you taking a 9.5 in?

9F in the TG73 and 9.5E in the TG73 are the only two I have tried. However, from what I have heard, all of the lasts fit about the same. And as an aside, your shoes are creasing wonderfully--I find that to be fairly indicative of them fitting well enough. Once your foot molds to the footbed, it will be much better I feel. My pair on in 9F has a couple of side creases due to the width, but they were more comfortable (to me) than the 9.5E. To be honest, I find that G&G [and EG on the 888] simply fit a lot closer, so it is a bit disconcerting at first. It is remedied with time though.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are very nice looking Spoo. I ordered the same ones in brown suede at a G&G trunk show here in SF. I could never get mine to fit and at the suggestion of G&G returned them. They were far too tight across my instep. I tried stretching them with Lobb EE show trees and that didn't do it. I've never had this problem before with any other premium shoe. But everyone else I know seems to love how their G&G's fit. Perhaps your just need a bit of a break in.

I have a theory that leather shoes never really fit properly until they get wet while you walk in them. One or two rain storms as you walk around town can really make a difference. Just keep them away from heat when damp.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Those are very nice looking Spoo. I ordered the same ones in brown suede at a G&G trunk show here in SF. I could never get mine to fit and at the suggestion of G&G returned them. They were far too tight across my instep. I tried stretching them with Lobb EE show trees and that didn't do it. I've never had this problem before with any other premium shoe. But everyone else I know seems to love how their G&G's fit. Perhaps your just need a bit of a break in.

I have a theory that leather shoes never really fit properly until they get wet while you walk in them. One or two rain storms as you walk around town can really make a difference. Just keep them away from heat when damp.

Thank you! But the bolded part - they let you return them AFTER you wore them a few times?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! But the bolded part - they let you return them AFTER you wore them a few times?

I had only worn them in the house, stretched them with EE Shoe tree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics