• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone needs the light grey chambray from this season, small send me a PM. brand new

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think about the poplin/oxford cloth mashup that Context is carrying?

2-108.jpg

I've never owned a true oxford cloth BD from Gitman. I've heard (read in this thread or perhaps a PM?) they can be pretty stiff and unforgiving - to be worn casually - and I'm wondering if this shirt would be a nice compromise of weight..

side note; the context model with the handle bar mustache is really starting to irk me fsr, btw..
plain.gif
. I don't like them tucking in the shirts either -- it doesn't allow you a real look at the shirt and the way it will fit & lay. If it wasn't for the front page photo, I wouldn't have given the shirt a second glance.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
So what do you guys think about the poplin/oxford cloth mashup that Context is carrying?

2-108.jpg

I've never owned a true oxford cloth BD from Gitman. I've heard (read in this thread or perhaps a PM?) they can be pretty stiff and unforgiving - to be worn casually - and I'm wondering if this shirt would be a nice compromise of weight..

side note; the context model with the handle bar mustache is really starting to irk me fsr, btw..
plain.gif
. I don't like them tucking in the shirts either -- it doesn't allow you a real look at the shirt and the way it will fit & lay. If it wasn't for the front page photo, I wouldn't have given the shirt a second glance.

I really like the idea of a poplin/oxford mash-up; seems like a great mix of body and airiness. I have a number of Gitman OCBDs, and the fabric heft is what I specifically like about it. I wouldn't call those shirts stiff.

As for the handlebar moustache guy, he's goofy alright, but I guess they're going for a bit of whimsy. I'd like to see him in a Vaudeville outfit.
smile.gif

I wear my shirts tucked in almost all the time, so I like seeing them tucked like that. Of course, I realize I'm in the minority on this forum in that regard.

- K

Urijah1086

Reaction score
Picked up an Oxford today. Fits great aside from the back having a lot of extra fabric. If I take it to the tailor should I have him just take in the sides to get rid of the extra fabric in the back or should I have him dart it? Thanks. btw im 6' 147 wearing a size small.
download-1.png

download-1-1.png

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these are box pleats right? try ironing the pleat before slimming stuff down. Looks fine from here.

pfurey

Reaction score
got the gitman x oc leopard in today. sized up 1, fit is perfect. a little long, but ill tuck it.

Urijah1086

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
these are box pleats right? try ironing the pleat before slimming stuff down. Looks fine from here.

Good call dude, helped out a ton.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urijah1086
Picked up an Oxford today....]

Looks great to me. What size jacket do you wear, if you don't mind me asking?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being in between sizes is a pain, hopefully it's manageable though. I ordered a Medium over a Small due to the P2P/chest measurement, but the shoulders will be slightly off. Then there's the matter of length, but I guess shortening a shirt is neither expensive nor complicated at a tailor.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like their OCBD fabric. It is substantial, but I wouldn't call it stiff. The cut is definitely slimmer than some of their other shirts.

For example, the chambray, in comparison, has longer sleeves, longer length and less slim in the same size. I took my chambray to my tailor and she hated the box pleat--so we took it out and added darts while shortening the length. Now it's perfect.
laugh.gif

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the poplin/oxford cloth mashup from context
redface.gif

looking forward to checking it out...

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I got the poplin/oxford cloth mashup from context
redface.gif
looking forward to checking it out...

are the oxfords cut smaller than last seasons? i know there was talk of this but i didnt follow the conversation. i gotta get my brother in law a ******* birthday gift. measurements on the context site still accurate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads