• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian MBA Thread

hrb

Reaction score
Thought I would open a thread on this subject as it seems to be coming up a lot in a lot of different posts. Discussion/Questions/Grad Opinions Encouraged.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cousin just graduated from McGill and landed in banking in Montreal.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Cousin just graduated from McGill and landed in banking in Montreal.

McGill's MBA is good for Montreal and the rest of Quebec but it has no reach outside of the province (regardless of what their admissions office says). I would probably go with HEC Montreal in any case -- better ranked and way cheaper.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
McGill's MBA is good for Montreal and the rest of Quebec but it has no reach outside of the province (regardless of what their admissions office says). I would probably go with HEC Montreal in any case -- better ranked and way cheaper.

He's quite satisfied with McGill and says good thing about them.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
He's quite satisfied with McGill and says good thing about them.

Yes, because he's working in Montreal. McGill is fantastic if you want to work in finance in Montreal. Great name and good students.

hrb

Reaction score
LB, Would you argue the same is true of the majority, or all, of the programs? To play devils advocate, I have two acquaintances who recently graduated from Ivey and Queens. They are working in Calgary and Vancouver respectively.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrb
LB, Would you argue the same is true of the majority, or all, of the programs? To play devils advocate, I have two acquaintances who recently graduated from Ivey and Queens. They are working in Calgary and Vancouver respectively.

I think Ivy has pretty good reach all over Canada and in the rest of North America, moreso than Queens for sure.

The thing with MBAs in Canada is that they are a lot like MBA programs in most other countries -- there's some excellent options for students looking to stay in the country but the overall reach of even the best schools is limited. I think it's reflected by the general makeup of their classes which consists mostly of Canadians.

hrb

Reaction score
Based on the above information, then, do Canadian employers, in general, prefer a Canadian MBA or, an international. This seems to be the predicament for the gentleman who started the Yale MBA thread.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrb
Based on the above information, then, do Canadian employers, in general, prefer a Canadian MBA or, an international. This seems to be the predicament for the gentleman who started the Yale MBA thread.

I'm sure it depends but in general I get the impression that it doesn't matter that much. I'm sure Canadian recruiters have heard of Wharton/HBS etc and will be duly impressed by your degree but they most likely don't recruit at any of the elite schools and are mostly looking to fill their ranks with Ivy/Rotman grads. If you look at the makeup of many Canadian banks and throughout industry it's really dominated by Ivy/Rotman and to a lesser extent Queens/Sauder grads.

This could also be, of course, because graduates of elite MBA programs don't want to work in Canada. I think it's a bit of both.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kxk
Even Ivey seems to place a disproportionate % of its grads in Toronto, and only 6% outside Canada. http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/docs/Ivey...ent_Report.pdf Rotman only 8% outside Canada (89% in Toronto): http://issuu.com/rotmanmag/docs/jobreport McGill, otoh, seems to place better internationally, with 24% outside Canada, and only 44% within Quebec: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/mba/c...loyment-stats/
McGill is a notorious gooser of its employment/admissions stats, so take that for what it's worth. For anyone with knowledge of the Canadian business world those stats absolutely defy belief (and not in a good way). The bottom line is that Ivy and Rotman are the only two Canadian MBAs I would pay full price for. Before their price hike McGill was actually a great deal though.

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
I went to Ivey for undergrad, the program is essentially the same as the MBA, only the quality of your MBA peers is (presumably) higher. And the 1-yr program is an advantage in my eyes.

It has limited reach outside Canada unless you are a superstar, though superstar status is more or less predetermined in an MBA than it is in undergrad.

I would highly recommend going to a US or EU Top 10 for an MBA if you had a choice.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
McGill is a notorious gooser of its employment/admissions stats, so take that for what it's worth. For anyone with knowledge of the Canadian business world those stats absolutely defy belief (and not in a good way).

The bottom line is that Ivy and Rotman are the only two Canadian MBAs I would pay full price for. Before their price hike McGill was actually a great deal though.

I think it depends on what your plan is. If you want to work on bay street/wall street or management consulting, I think you are right on the money. If you're looking to return to your current employer, or gain the basic skill sets required to manage your business, etc...the Canadian programs are pretty decent and are all fairly affordable.

hrb

Reaction score
They're going up in price, with an average around 55k, the top four programs, I would argue, are in no particular order: Ivey, Queens, McGill, UBC and they are sitting at an average tuition cost of around 60k. Canadian Recruiting (banking being a potential exception) don't really seem to favour american schools unless they're a top fiveish, ditto with international (EU).
Originally Posted by micbain
I think it depends on what your plan is. If you want to work on bay street/wall street or management consulting, I think you are right on the money. If you're looking to return to your current employer, or gain the basic skill sets required to manage your business, etc...the Canadian programs are pretty decent and are all fairly affordable.

hrb

Reaction score
Quick update Queens got ousted from the number 1 spot to INSEAD for schools outside the US. (According to Bloomberg.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads