• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much is a Tom Ford suit?

Quarks

Reaction score
I dropped by Tom Ford boutique in Shanghai a week ago - absolutely immaculate.
The crocodile bifold wallet with central money clip costs - About AUD$1,400. I wonder if the money clip is made of platinum
tongue.gif
So enticing, but I am never gona fork that much for a wallet even it is a croc! MTM suits costs about AUD$7,000 and up. That is a whole new level there. I was hoping that they quoted me wrongly.
The shoes - I was speechless. The aesthetics curves, the tassels - attention to details at its finest.
I walked out with my head down.... haha.

Went to Harrolds, Melb after returning to Shanghai... the cost of the suits - I can hardly remember in all honesty. Stratospheric quotes given to me tends to go through one ear & out the other after Shanghai. I simply couldnt sustain the reality of such prices anymore. I will be dropping by Harrolds tomorrow again to get them to refresh my memory...lol.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On behalf of Eighteen Months Ago, thank you, everyone was dying to hear that.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
1 billion dollars.

I believe that's the price for the gray two piece with the Nehru collar.

PregnantBob

Reaction score
lol... QUICK SOMEONE BUILD A TIME MACHINE!!

Seriously though,

Shanghai prices are inflated due to tariffs on imported goods. Hong Kong prices are much closer to say, the states.

I was in the Tom Ford boutique in HK just after Chinese New Years, purchased a RTW 3 piece for 4200 USD which at the time amounted to a bargain given the Aussie dollar.

Harrolds in Sydney has a limited range of TF and unfortunately like most other luxury products in Australia is inflated in its pricing.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

I still don't understand why one would buy Tom Ford RTW or MTM when you could get Savile Row, Italian or French bespoke for roughly the same price...
eh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
^

I still don't understand why one would buy Tom Ford RTW or MTM when you could get Savile Row, Italian or French bespoke for roughly the same price...
eh.gif

There's a Savile Row, Italian or French tailor doing Tom Ford-styled suits?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
There's a Savile Row, Italian or French tailor doing Tom Ford-styled suits?

Point taken... Part of my antipathy stems from the fact that I don't find Tom Ford-styling all that attractive to my eyes, so wouldn't see the value in paying for a MTM garment when I could have bespoke for an equivalent price. I'm curious to see how some of the younger tailors on and off the Row might interpret Tom Ford-type styling...

ridefar

Reaction score
^

eh.gif

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but... I live in Canada, and honestly, none of the options you mention are available here. Heck, from what I can determine there is no bespoke option worth the name available here at all. So, stylistic issues aside, TF MTM is about as good as it gets in Canada. Along with Brioni, Kiton, etc. MTM programs (dont know and havent looked if those are available here at all). Although I would definitely go bespoke if the option were available, it just isnt. And I cant fly to London or Milan three times each time I want to buy a suit. If I lived in NYC, or HK, or anywhere in Europe really, different story. And aside from all that I honestly havent found a better made or better fitting MTM suit--although your results with MTM will vary depending on the quality of the measurements, no?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point taken... Part of my antipathy stems from the fact that I don't find Tom Ford-styling all that attractive to my eyes, so wouldn't see the value in paying for a MTM garment when I could have bespoke for an equivalent price. I'm curious to see how some of the younger tailors on and off the Row might interpret Tom Ford-type styling...
Tom Ford is a lover of Savile Row himself, and apparently has had many bespoke suits made on the Row. So, I don't think he's trying to offer a direct alternative to handmade bespoke right now. It's more about a creating a global image that exudes luxury. It's just like Brioni, Kiton, Zegna, etc., but with but with a younger and more exotic aesthetic. I think there's definitely a place for a brand like Tom Ford: if I had the cash, it would be one of my go-to brands for interesting pieces. It's about time the USA had a brand like this.

mjphillips

Reaction score
You can get Savile Row bespoke for $3500? That's what a two piece Tom Ford OTR costs. I was under impression that top bespoke houses are $5k+

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When do stores in the US start having sales? That is, when do department stores or boutiques that have TF do their next markdowns?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ridefar
I can't speak for anybody but myself, but... I live in Canada, and honestly, none of the options you mention are available here. Heck, from what I can determine there is no bespoke option worth the name available here at all. So, stylistic issues aside, TF MTM is about as good as it gets in Canada. Along with Brioni, Kiton, etc. MTM programs (dont know and havent looked if those are available here at all). Although I would definitely go bespoke if the option were available, it just isnt. And I cant fly to London or Milan three times each time I want to buy a suit. If I lived in NYC, or HK, or anywhere in Europe really, different story. And aside from all that I honestly havent found a better made or better fitting MTM suit--although your results with MTM will vary depending on the quality of the measurements, no?

Attolini and Kiton MTM is available in Toronto btw.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Attolini and Kiton MTM is available in Toronto btw.

That's true. But now that we're above parity, it would be a much better deal to get it in the US.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see no logical proof of Tom Ford being lesser quality to other RTW / MTM collections encompassing brands like Kiton, Brioni, so on and so forth. Price wise, TF is quite competitive with those brands and is priced at a similar point - MSRP $4K plus. That you can get Brioni or Kiton on the Bay for less than TF is more an issue of availability / scarcity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads