• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tea Appreciation

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You do know that Jasmine is no puro, right?

Yup. Fully aware of that. However it still very much has tea as the blend's major component. The 'teas' that I am completely against are the crap that pretends to be tea but does not contain a single speck of tea leaf in it.

And don't get me started on sugar and milk.
laugh.gif

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
And don't get me started on sugar and milk.
laugh.gif

While I generally agree, Chai is an exception. I prefer breakfast blends with some milk too.

It's all preference, even tho I'm in the agreement of drinking tea as is.

nestor

Reaction score
Is anyone here into pu-erh? I have been seriously drinking tea for about six years and I've never tried this until now... I know why, it's very earthy and tastes like no other tea I've ever had.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+2 on Mariage Freres. Enjoying Earl Grey Imperial and Veranda at the moment.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
I have tea in the Mariage Freres Tea Salon here in Japan.
Huge selection of tea, I ended up doing the eyes closed, finger twirling, I'll have this one to where ever my finger lands.

I get my tea from India to make fpr chai. Don't have the equipment or time to make expensive tea taste good.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nestor
Is anyone here into pu-erh? I have been seriously drinking tea for about six years and I've never tried this until now... I know why, it's very earthy and tastes like no other tea I've ever had.

Were you put off by it?

Initially I had trouble with the 'fishy' aroma but after coming back to it after a couple months, I'm much more drawn to pu-erhs. My palate isn't refined enough for me to drop serious cash for good quality pu-erhs yet though.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Yup. Fully aware of that. However it still very much has tea as the blend's major component. The 'teas' that I am completely against are the crap that pretends to be tea but does not contain a single speck of tea leaf in it. And don't get me started on sugar and milk.
laugh.gif

So they're technically "herbal infusions" and not tea. "Herbal tea" sounds better and gets the concept across just fine. And try a few. They can be quite tasty, as can the different varieties made with tea leaves. But the range is much wider, as it's much less dependent on how a specific ingredient is processed and dependent really only on the vision of the blender. Sweet, bitter as hell, overly fruity, whatever. There's room for all types and room for all tastes. It's the difference between only drinking whiskeys and being open to the world of cocktails. And some of the more bitter ones, extracted in alcohol instead of hot water, make interesting bitters. Sugar and milk I'm with ya on though. Lemon is okay, depending on blend. Honey and lemon when I have a cold, because they both actually serve legitimate purposes as medicine.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mandrake, are you married to Adagio? No offense, but their teas aren't that great, and far more expensive than Uptontea.com, which is superior if you are a black tea fan.

My faves are :

Orthodox Darjeeling TGFOP blend

River Shannon Breakfast Blend

for night:

Rooibos Pretoria

all from Upton.

Been there done that with the greens, whites, etc....just can't get into them. Although a good oolong is a great find. Every once in a while I splurge on a Dong Ding.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Mandrake, are you married to Adagio?

laugh.gif

No, they just happened to be the first online retailer I've stumbled into and ordered from.

Lesson learned though and definitely have expanded to other retailers.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mandrake9072
laugh.gif
No, they just happened to be the first online retailer I've stumbled into and ordered from. Lesson learned though and definitely have expanded to other retailers.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Adagio, but I personally find them too pricey and find Upton's quality just as good and superior in many cases. At least worth a shot ordering samples!

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Adagio, but I personally find them too pricey and find Upton's quality just as good and superior in many cases. At least worth a shot ordering samples!

I appreciate the recommendation!

Generally speaking, I've heard that Upton is great for Black Teas (with the exception of Darjeeling) only. For Green/White/Oolongs I've been told to look elsewhere.

Would you say that this is true?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never been one for tea but then again I guess I have not been around quality tea's. I noticed that a local store sells Mariage Freres teas and think I am going to give a quality tea a chance.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mandrake9072
I appreciate the recommendation! Generally speaking, I've heard that Upton is great for Black Teas (with the exception of Darjeeling) only. For Green/White/Oolongs I've been told to look elsewhere. Would you say that this is true?
I'd say that is exactly true, Upton is overpriced for the quality as far as greens, oolongs, whites go, but you just aren't going to find a better black tea anywhere, including Darjeeling if ya ask me. Being said, I get the TD20, Orthodox TGFOP Darjeeling blend for 5 dollars something for 125 grams. I don't buy the fancy single estate stuff, so can't comment on that. But that TD20 is the best cup I've ever had, just perfect. If you are an Earl Grey fan try the Extra Bergamot Earl Grey. I personally can't stand it, but I'm not big on Earl Grey either. Nevertheless Earl Greyheads go nuts over it and it is Upton's top seller.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i kept reading your posts as lipton for some reason
laugh.gif
i should give upton a try though i usually just get a box of shahrzad and add cardamom pods to it edit: having a peach ginger tea now quite nice though i'm more of a purist generally

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads