• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~$3,000 for a decent watch, need opinions please.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'm trying to find the IWC bashing you're referring to, but I don't really find it... what comments are you referring to?
Hmm? I don't recall stating someone was bashing IWC. It was stated that the one I want is bland, which IMO is more of a timeless appeal.

To be honest, I know nothing about the mechanism of watches. The IWC and Panerai intrigue me solely for aesthetic reasons.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Hmm? I don't recall stating someone was bashing IWC. It was stated that the one I want is bland, which IMO is more of a timeless appeal.

To be honest, I know nothing about the mechanism of watches. The IWC and Panerai intrigue me solely for aesthetic reasons.

Well, that's what makes the IWC look great, they're timeless classics (most of them). I think you mentioned that you want to keep them forever as well... Just sayin'

mschm

Reaction score
Omega planet ocean, used off of Timezone or Watchuseek is a great place to start, if you don't like it you can sell it for the same price you bought it for. It looks better than any other watch I've owned. If you want to go for a classic non diver grab an omega speedmaster pro. I didn't think much of them until I picked one up, now it's my favorite watch. You can get either for $2000 used, north of $3500-4200 new. The beauty of omega is that it doesn't scream "I'm important" to everyone in the room. I wear one 80% of the time and no one is the wiser. I've had many omegas over the years and enjoy the styling much better than my Breilings, Rolexes, etc.

Buying a lightly used watch saves you thousands, and you can test drive several until you find one you can dig. Ignore those who try to demean you into thinking a watch less than $5k is junk. While AP, Vacheron, and Patek make beautiful and very expensive timepieces, they would be off-putting to those around me, and simply do not match my style.

Agree with the above poster that recommended just getting the one you really want right away or you'll end up regretting it, even if it means an extra $1000 or so. You wouldnt buy a car without reading reviews, so spend a couple of months researching on Watchuseek and Timezone. You'll be glad you did in the end.

Gray market = not from authorized dealer, I.e., no warranty. Likely cheaper, though, usually online, and website may have their own warranties.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that's what makes the IWC look great, they're timeless classics (most of them). I think you mentioned that you want to keep them forever as well... Just sayin'
Dare I go out and buy both?! Haha.

Yeah, I don't really want to sell any of my watches. I still have every single watch sans one Seiko that I lost in the gym back in freshman year of college.
frown.gif

I think something like this looks great.
pc6.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timezone and Watchuseek would be the better watch forums out there? I may have to join to enlighten myself (and spend countless hours on there).
uhoh.gif

Buying cars got way too easy for me, haha. Perhaps even easier than buying a stinky watch.

I like both the IWC and Panerai. I can buy either one right now. Spending an additional $1,000 or so isn't really going to hurt me. I picked the IWC initially because it was the lesser of the two.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Dare I go out and buy both?! Haha.

Yeah, I don't really want to sell any of my watches. I still have every single watch sans one Seiko that I lost in the gym back in freshman year of college.
frown.gif

I think something like this looks great.
pc6.jpg

Does look good.

This is my fave:

iwc-portofino-moonphase-profile.jpg

imgres
fficial%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D708%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1[/img]
iw544803-alt.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does look good.

This is my fave:

iwc-portofino-moonphase-profile.jpg

imgres
fficial%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D708%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1[/img]
iw544803-alt.jpg

What's the retail prices on the pieces you put up? I found the picture I posted from Google and it was from a sales thread. The seller stated BNIB and was selling for around $2500.

I quickly browsed Timezone and found out they don't allow the discussing of prices (other than retail prices).
frown.gif

I think I'm rushing the purchase because I want to make it a graduate gift for myself (even though I got my M.S. in the fall, but I'm going back to walk with my friends). The Rolex...coming when I get the MBA in 2 years.
laugh.gif

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
What's the retail prices on the pieces you put up? I found the picture I posted from Google and it was from a sales thread. The seller stated BNIB and was selling for around $2500.

I quickly browsed Timezone and found out they don't allow the discussing of prices (other than retail prices).
frown.gif

I think I'm rushing the purchase because I want to make it a graduate gift for myself (even though I got my M.S. in the fall, but I'm going back to walk with my friends). The Rolex...coming when I get the MBA in 2 years.
laugh.gif

like $15k
laugh.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. I went with IWC IW371401. The white/gold combination is too killer.

I originally wanted IW500114 since it has a date box, but the watch is just too big for my wrist.

It was more than $3,000 but I am content with it.
smile.gif

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Hi MC gang,

I know this topic has been posted in a repetitive cycle...so here's another one.
laugh.gif

I'm looking to buy a first nice watch at around the $3,000 mark. My first choice is the IWC Portofino. I'm not really into busy looking chronos. I suppose a popular 2nd choice would be Omega Seamaster. Oh, and I'm only considering new watches at the moment.

Also, would you pros recommend to buy from a brick and mortar establishment or online?

The only watch I've bought online was a $600 Oris watch from Authenticwatches.com and I had to meet up with them to pay cash to avoid the sales tax since we're in the same state.

If anyone has any recommendations of quality shops around the Southern California area, I would appreciate that.

Those are VERY different watches. First, what is your purpose? If it is for suit/dress wear, IWC porto is the best choice. If it is everyday wear I would take the Omega SMP.

However, you might want to consider an IWC Pilots watch for everyday wear. Those are vey nice! If you must wear a suit and take an everyday watch, its *probably* better than the SMP.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
I agree with Tony's comments on the PAM.
I don't agree with other's comments on Rolex's though. I never considered myself a "Rolex" kind of guy...that is until recently. Have the 36mm Explorer on my wrist right now. Going to switch the bracelet out to a NATO strap and the new Submariner is pretty damn nice! Going to sell some wine to subsidize the purchase in the next couple of weeks.

I was never a Rolex fan because of the magnifier over the date but that was until I found the Explorer several days ago. I cannot decide whether I want to go with the vintage 36mm or the newer 39mm.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks nice. Any pics?
I had to order it since no one has it in stock. Would take 1-3 months so I will put up pictures when it arrives. Next watch will probably be acquired around November to December.
smile.gif

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alan B.
It's a trick question. There really is nothing in between the $500 and $5K+ watches. Decide if you want to really man up to the big leagues.
You are a complete ******* idiot. Also, to all those encouraging the OP to go used: some people, myself included, don't buy used anything. I don't do used clothes, watches, cars or furniture. As someone of this mindset I know that nobody is going to convince us otherwise. Now, on to the OP's query: I think both the Seamaster and Portofino are fantastic, but completely different, watches. I'd proudly wear either. If you like the Panerais, then by all means go for one, they are high quality if a bit on the trendy side. However, if you can afford one of those you can afford a Rolex (if that's what you actually want to wear). I guess it depends which you're looking at. All of them will be beyond $3k. Others you might consider within your initial budget are: IWC Mk XVI pilot watch Zenith Class Elite Omega Railmaster Oh, and I always buy from an AD, though at a discount.

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
I was never a Rolex fan because of the magnifier over the date but that was until I found the Explorer several days ago. I cannot decide whether I want to go with the vintage 36mm or the newer 39mm.
do they still sell new explorer in the rolex boutiques? if they do how much is the MSRP ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads