• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~$3,000 for a decent watch, need opinions please.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eli
If you really want to stick to the 3000$ price point.
IWC Spitfire Chronograph on brown leather band.

If you can wait it out, get what you really want... it's not that far out of reach. Just trim here and there in your budget.

Edit: Oh and I too would skip on Breitling. Had them all, literaly and I only kept one. I barely wear it. Breitling Chrono-Matic which is actually beautiful on a light blue crocodile band.
FYI off topic - did you know crocodiles don't die from old age? I just found that out and I find it astonishing.

Interestin fact regarding the croc.

It's definitely not far out of reach. New question should be: Best place to buy PAM000?

If I can stop my sporatic shopping sprees, that should save at least $1,500 a month.
laugh.gif

Eli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Interestin fact regarding the croc.

It's definitely not far out of reach. New question should be: Best place to buy PAM000?

If I can stop my sporatic shopping sprees, that should save at least $1,500 a month.
laugh.gif

Best place.. hmmm there are a few very reputable dealers on timezone and watchnet. Find someone that has the watch you want and make sure they are known in the business. That is if you want a nice discount.
If money is no object then just walk into a nice mall and that's it. But you can easily save 20% over store prices. I've done it countless times.
Trick is to buy the seller not the item. If you need help looking into a seller I will gladly help. I know the guys who know all the guys.

danskidoo

Reaction score
Grayandson has a lot of nice used watches. Figure out what you want in a watch and then go shopping for that. Don't over pay for a watch with an ETA movement. I think the Omega co-axial watches are great for the price.

Robbish

Reaction score
Do you want to pay for the movement, the name or the style? 3k is more then enough money to get a great watch, but not really enough to get a proper wow factor chrono. I personally think the new Omegas are overrated, I've owned a bunch of omegas, but thats just because they've moved up in class and cost over the past decade. Buy a watch you know you want to wear.

jonnyt

Reaction score
I don't know where the IWC hate is coming from, I think they're one of the most consistent brands around, especially at their price-range. IWC's are seriously classy. Every man and his dog owns a Rolex, the only one I'd ever consider would be a Daytona.

Go with the IWC now, then you have a beautiful watch for a couple more years while you save for the Panerai you have your heart set on (although by the time you can afford it, something else will have come along...)
If you save for another year for the PAM, you have nothing on your wrist in that time, and that is certainly unacceptable

iyorito

Reaction score
Watches are more problematic. They are small enough to keep them in your safe and needs less service. Cars you get sick of them when you realise they are controlling your life and you get over it. (and accidents and crashes....this is how I, father of 2 boys, got over it completely)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The Aldens were childs play. The real madness was when I was into cars, zippyh.

I posted this on another thread, but I saw a really nice IWC at Costco last week or so for around $10,000. I stood there for 10 minutes actually considering it, mind you I'm very enlightened when it comes to watches.

You guys are making me feel like the IWC I want is crap. So if I should get a PAM 000, do I get it online? Or just walk into a mall and buy one?

Anyone who thinks the IWC is crap is the same people who think like black shoes with navy suits
laugh.gif

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend Omega PO. I have a Seamaster and it's very understated, but if you're a guy itching for a Rolex you might do better with the Planet Ocean. A lot of people prefer POs to Rolexs for the PO's styling.

The whole "saving up" thing doesn't work too well for watches, unless you like losing money. Get the one you want at first blush or lose out.

Omega is hot these days, Rolex is always hot, Breitling is way out of style, and IWC is so understated as to almost miss the mark.

Good luck!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas,

After a long day at work thinking about it...I'm going with the PAM 000 or PAM 005. From what I have gathered, the 005 just has the second hand on the middle left side of the face.

The question now is what is a fair price for a new one? Looking to buy within the next couple of weeks.

I will revisit IWC and Rolex shortly after.
biggrin.gif

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Fellas,

After a long day at work thinking about it...I'm going with the PAM 000 or PAM 005. From what I have gathered, the 005 just has the second hand on the middle left side of the face.

The question now is what is a fair price for a new one? Looking to buy within the next couple of weeks.

I will revisit IWC and Rolex shortly after.
biggrin.gif

I think you had the right idea with the IWC... I don't know whats all the fuss with Panerai, but I think they look too "modern," will go out of style soon, are very large, in your face with some weird switches and knobs on it. Personally, I would never buy one. I think watches are too large to begin with right now, and it seems like a "fashiony" watch to me that will go out of style. Similar to how many of you believe that if you go in moderation with lapel width on a suit it won't ever go out of style, I think the Panerai is a skinny lapel suit.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people just said that because I was looking at the cheapo version of IWC. But the same can be said for the PAM 000 right? Lol.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I think people just said that because I was looking at the cheapo version of IWC. But the same can be said for the PAM 000 right? Lol.

I'm trying to find the IWC bashing you're referring to, but I don't really find it... what comments are you referring to?

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tony's comments on the PAM.
I don't agree with other's comments on Rolex's though. I never considered myself a "Rolex" kind of guy...that is until recently. Have the 36mm Explorer on my wrist right now. Going to switch the bracelet out to a NATO strap and the new Submariner is pretty damn nice! Going to sell some wine to subsidize the purchase in the next couple of weeks.

ndsleep612

Reaction score
If you do a bit more due diligence you'll find that the basic Panerai's, including the PAM000 and 005 use a $200 Unitas/ETA movement. It's nothing extraordinary and can be purchased from ETA in stock form. Have you considered other discreet brands such as Chopard or JLC?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads