• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the name given to regular, standard outside pockets on suits/sportcoats?

Not patch pockets. Are they just called flapped pockets? Slash pockets?

Booter

Reaction score

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Booter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
As you sure you have the right links? Both shoes have the same soles.

Apologies, I should have been more specific. My issue is with the edge of the sole/heel. They have been painted/stained as shown here:

http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...ductId=4208385

I'd like the edge/heel to look natural (not black), as shown here:

http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...ductId=4208384

I'm assuming the latter is the "natural" color of the leather used for the soles, although I may be completely wrong in that assumption. Regardless, would like to achieve a color more like that and less black.

Thanks!

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Hey guys, quick question. Is it normal for Brooks Brothers to sell out of everything? I was looking for some Chinos, and they have none left apart from 1 or 2 sizes in their current collection. Do they back order? Im actually an 8/10 right now on a scale of 1 to 10 pissed off. I have no summer wear and it looks like Im going to be stuck with Ralph Lauren Polo yet again this year
ffffuuuu.gif

Yes, they often sell out, but they restock once in a while. No backordering once the size is not listed on the website.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind
When you hang polos, do you keep the collar up, or fold it down?

You don't. You fold knits, otherwise they get stretched out and the hangar puts points in the shoulders.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
What is the name given to regular, standard outside pockets on suits/sportcoats?

Not patch pockets. Are they just called flapped pockets? Slash pockets?

Besom.

Slashed/hacking pockets are angled

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beast Mode
I have an interview comming up. If i am going with a black suit, white shirt, and a black tie. Can I use this?

http://www.hickorees.com/brand/the-h...square-natural

Or do I need to find a white linen pocket square?

It's probably gonna be the most appropriate thing you have on. Actually, wisecracking aside, if you have a suit/tie that isn't black, I'd wear that. You prospective employer probably won't care, but if one of the guys on this board is across the desk from you, you're screwed.

Avocat

Reaction score
^ I agree. Whilst it is OK for a woman to wear a black suit to an interview, it isn't considered appropriate for a man to do. There are a lot of rules tied to this, primarily b/c the colour black is, outside the clergy and judiciary (who are robed), reserved for formal wear. So, unless you're interviewing for a judicial/priest/etc. position, I'd caution against a black suit for an interview, and instead opt for a blue suit (synonymous with leadership, safety and loyalty, and why it's worn by air pilots, etc.) or grey (synonymous with learned professions, knowledge and tradition, so also good). It's okay to wear black shoes with either (though many here prefer brown shades and/or burgundy for sartorial reasons, if black shoes are all that you have, then that's what you have, and that's fine then; just be sure to shine 'em up so as to put your best foot forward!). Hope this helps, and best of luck to you on the interview!! EDIT: oh, as to shirt: yes, solid white is best, and a solid dark colour tie. If you like, you can also call HR to inquire about the prospective employer's dress code in advance of your interview, but it's always best to err on the side of caution on an interview (i.e., conservative), regardless of the dress code. Again, best of luck to you. tl/DR: better safe than sorry, yes?
wink.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohio
Yes, they often sell out, but they restock once in a while. No backordering once the size is not listed on the website.

Thanks, please suggest where I get a good quality pair of chinos from (of similar level to Brooks Brothers)? I am after white, light blue, yellow, and khaki chinos for this summer. I visited Ralph Lauren, and bought out all their blues, browns and tans. Looking for more summer color in my wardrobe this season.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Paul Smith bag (listed in Sale section) a few days ago. I changed my mind a few days later and when I go back to the store I discover there are no refunds and exchanges only. I couldn't believe it.
censored.gif
Is there any way around this? Is it possible there is a secret return policy if I make a scene and complain about it?

johnci

Reaction score
Wearing a black tux with white shirt, patent pumps. Do I have to wear black socks, or can I get away with red hose?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics