• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stateless
Where did you get your Fox in Melbourne? The only shop I've seen them in is American Tailors. Or did you buy online?

I purchased it online from the Armoury.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Lee Lin Chin is certainly the best dressed newsreader in Oz. Consistently. She's possibly even the best newsreader.
confused.gif
Edit: Having met quite a few news readers, I can certainly say they don't dress like they do on screen and present themselves much better than the station dresses them. I think perhaps SBS does not have a sponsorship deal or don't have a strict dress policy (at least for women). Personally I cannot stand Chin's voice although she appears quite intelligent.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Lee Lin Chin is certainly the best dressed newsreader in Oz. Consistently.

She's possibly even the best newsreader.

She had a fashion show on a couple of years back - 'fashionista' IIRC. Short features on Australian designers. Very interesting.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that Juanita is still the best newsreader but her clothes (thanks ABC) are a disaster. Since they finally fixed up her hair she is also the best looking. She is coping pretty well too since suddenly finding herself a single mum.

Chin's voice is a sort of a posh educated HKG Chinese person and is copied from an older BBC radio style and is very irritating IMO.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Where do people buy shoes in Sydney?
- Crocket & Jones from the Herringbone store in Circular Quay (Sydney)
- Edward Green from Henry Bucks (not cheap, IIRC >30%)
- St Crispins are also available, though I'm assuming this will be out of your budget & only MTM
- John Cutler sells Stefano Bemer & EG - again not budget approved
- I don't see or understand the love here for Loakes as they are SHITE

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone's interested in some beater-wear, just came back from Country Road South Wharf DFO. They are having 40% off everything at the moment.

Ties for as low as $10. 95% wool, 5% cashmere half lined trousers $60. Got a nice thick midnight blue moleskin sports coat for $100 (for that price who the hell cares about canvassing). Lots of random ****.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
In case anyone's interested in some beater-wear, just came back from Country Road South Wharf DFO. They are having 40% off everything at the moment.

Ties for as low as $10. 95% wool, 5% cashmere half lined trousers $60. Got a nice thick midnight blue moleskin sports coat for $100 (for that price who the hell cares about canvassing). Lots of random ****.

No offense or anything, but people might care if they want to look good in their clothes. Canvassing is a mainstay of a good sports coat.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
I think that Juanita is still the best newsreader but her clothes (thanks ABC) are a disaster. Since they finally fixed up her hair she is also the best looking. She is coping pretty well too since suddenly finding herself a single mum.

Yes, her dress sense aside, I think Juanita is the best newsreader on TV at the moment. Not a bad looker either.

stateless

Reaction score
How much were they at American Tailors btw?
They start at about $500 at American Tailors. I might have to give Tom a call and see if he can hook me up. It's time to star thinking about a winter suit anyway.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Lee Lin Chin is certainly the best dressed newsreader in Oz. Consistently.

She's possibly even the best newsreader.

About 8 years ago when I worked at Robby Ingham on oxford St she used to be one of our biggest womenswear clients. Always bought lot's of Comme de Garcon and other left of field labels. Very eccentric and very nice.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
-

- I don't see or understand the love here for Loakes as they are SHITE

Don't agree with this at all. They are what they are. They're not St Crispins that's for sure. There also not Aquila's. For me they fit nicely in between as long as you stick to the 1880 range. I have 2 pair of 1880 (one which I'm wearing today and both have worn very well, are very comfy and polish up fantastic. Quality is on par with my Shipton and Heneage that are made by C&J.

It's prob worth noting here that many people on here can't afford to spend $1000+ on a pair of shoes, or even $500 for that matter. Not because we are poor, but because we have mortgages, new cars and other money consuming hobbies (in my case cycling, golf and fishing) but still want to look good on the budget we have. So in conclusion Loake are absolutely fine at the 1880 range level. Below that not so good.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Don't agree with this at all. They are what they are. They're not St Crispins that's for sure. There also not Aquila's. For me they fit nicely in between as long as you stick to the 1880 range. I have 2 pair of 1880 (one which I'm wearing today and both have worn very well, are very comfy and polish up fantastic. Quality is on par with my Shipton and Heneage that are made by C&J. It's prob worth noting here that many people on here can't afford to spend $1000+ on a pair of shoes, or even $500 for that matter. Not because we are poor, but because we have mortgages, new cars and other money consuming hobbies (in my case cycling, golf and fishing) but still want to look good on the budget we have. So in conclusion Loake are absolutely fine at the 1880 range level. Below that not so good.
- you raise some very valid points. I should have been clearer in that the price for Loakes in AUS (as for most things) are too high for what I have seen. - also with the knowledge that one gains from this forum & the access to buying OS, for not much more IMO one is better off moving up a tier as we all know these shoes will last etc. - like everyone else I also have commitments, we just come from different socioeconomic backgrounds. - in no way was I comparing the build & workmanship to JL/EG etc., just comparing to how much I see them sale here for. - I would rather another pair of RM Craftsman as they certainly provide a good ROI. NOyt sure how much they are today as I have a few pairs dating late 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics