• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
toe is too round also slightly out of my budget
redface.gif

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
As much as I enjoy the laughs, can we just close the waywt no discussion thread? It's useless and I rather see the trainwrecks get posted in the normal thread so they can either get help or provide entertainment.

it's good as a resource when you just wanna see some fits over the last few months. Yourself, synthese, mellowfellow, tonio, berlin report etc seem to post in it so it's pretty useful

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
Still waiting on CvsF results.

Originally Posted by APK
He should just settle that. I know the contest was devised before the quality issues became apparent, which probably led to like three people going through with the contest. But when you promise a specific prize for the winner, you have to come through. Otherwise, you look unprofessional. If it's a situation where he's no longer able to or interested in pursuing what the prize entailed, at least give some sort of compensation to the winner.

maybe he settled with the winner behind closed doors. i know there were a "few" that were participating that werent on SF. either that or it just died but those who were involved should just email him

filcol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
You just need to spend money on outerwear, knits and shoes. Everything else can be cheap basics.

I want to come back to this discussion.
For me it's like you can divide all in clothes in 4 categories.

1: outwear and shoes - here it's really worthwhile spending a lot of money
2: jeans and knitwear - you could get cheap alternatives here, but it's better to get some quality pieces
3: shirts, pants - the difference between fancy designer stuff and uniqlo clothes is quiet small here, while the price is not
4: tees - you can go dead cheap here because you'll have to replace these things anyway.. also a good cut is not related to high prices, only to your body. So just find some cheap tees that fit you well

Of course there are some clothes missing such as underwear, suits etc.. but I wanted to talk about the main parts of street and casual wear.

just my 2 cents.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by filcol
3: shirts, pants - the difference between fancy designer stuff and uniqlo clothes is quiet small here, while the price is not

I don't really think this is true.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to come back to this discussion.
For me it's like you can divide all in clothes in 4 categories.

1: outwear and shoes - here it's really worthwhile spending a lot of money
2: jeans and knitwear - you could get cheap alternatives here, but it's better to get some quality pieces
4: tees - you can go dead cheap here because you'll have to replace these things anyway.. also a good cut is not related to high prices, only to your body. So just find some cheap tees that fit you well

Of course there are some clothes missing such as underwear, suits etc.. but I wanted to talk about the main parts of street and casual wear.

just my 2 cents.

While I understand what you're trying to get at and can appreciate going cheaper/basic in aspects of a wardrobe since I do it myself, I bolded something I felt was just not true. In all honestly, there is a huge difference between uniqlo and higher end in this area, pants especially.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
maybe he settled with the winner behind closed doors. i know there were a "few" that were participating that werent on SF. either that or it just died but those who were involved should just email him

If that's the case, then cool. The erstwhile Connor can chime in on whether that happened if he feels so inclined.

filcol

Reaction score
Please don't get me wrong.
Ofc there is a difference and ofc it's noticable.
But, for example, there are a lot of really nice fitting khakis out there, dead cheap.
You really can't tell the difference in appearance betweem those and, let's say, some RLPL.
The quality is better and it's also harder to find good cheap trousers than good expensice trousers.
If you now compare it to outwear or shoes, you'll see that the difference here betweem cheapo and high end is really big (while there are still some very good cheap shoes).
That's what I wanted to say.

Btw, forgive me for my english, not my native language.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say this is true for everything, save footwear and leather. It all depends on the buyer and what they find valuable.

filcol

Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm sure you are more happy buying AA Tees instead of some Jil 150$+ Tees, than buying 30$ discounter jeans instead of some nice APC raw denim.

kwoyeu

Reaction score
(i) 70% of the time people will be seeing me in shirts (inside during FW, inside + outside during SS).
(ii) nice shirts really wear their quality on their sleeves (no pun intended)
(iii) brand new $200-$350 shirts (depending on the brand) can often be had for $20-60-ish if you pay attention to sales.
so, +1 on not going cheap on shirts

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is not true for me. I did the whole cheap tee thing and the results usually weren't good. Pilling, considerable shrinkage and overall bad cuts were the norm. And this happened even though I babied them. I tried Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Uniqlo and some others. I had a couple of H&M tees that weren't bad, but the sizing is really inconsistent.

What I like about some of the more expensive is the better cuts. There are a number of those brands that keep the fit relatively slim, but elongate the torso. That's great for someone like me, who'd get a tee that fit well in the body, but was no good after a wash because the length had shrunk so much.

Also, I think it depends on how prominent the tees will be in your wardrobe. If you're mostly wearing button-downs, knits and stuff like that, then you can probably cheap out on the tees. But for someone who predominantly wears tees as their top of choice, it makes sense to shell out a bit more for them.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
This is not true for me. I did the whole cheap tee thing and the results usually weren't good. Pilling, considerable shrinkage and overall bad cuts were the norm. And this happened even though I babied them. I tried Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Uniqlo and some others. I had a couple of H&M tees that weren't bad, but the sizing is really inconsistent.

What I like about some of the more expensive is the better cuts. There are a number of those brands that keep the fit relatively slim, but elongate the torso. That's great for someone like me, who'd get a tee that fit well in the body, but was no good after a wash because the length had shrunk so much.

Also, I think it depends on how prominent the tees will be in your wardrobe. If you're mostly wearing button-downs, knits and stuff like that, then you can probably cheap out on the tees. But for someone who predominantly wears tees as their top of choice, it makes sense to shell out a bit more for them.

Wouldn't disagree. We all see value in various aspects of clothing depending on what we were the most. Many won't disagree too much on footwear though, at least I wouldn't think.

I like nice tees too, but yeah I place more value in pants and button downs and knits and footwear since I wear those the most and year round for the most part. The tees I recently purchased and have in my selection are BDG (from 2-4 years back when they were good), J. Crew jaspe tees (not the best but they fit me well), Rogue State tees I found in my Nordstrom Rack that have a nice slim, fit and are Made in Peru slubby cotton, and Ever from Gilt made in the US of slubby cotton with a nice fit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads