• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaymanS

Reaction score
My first foray into DB...

On the hanger:

2zz3jv4.jpg

Full monty...snapped in my associate's office (by my associate, bless his heart):

29d9u7b.jpg

Chest detail (pardon the rumpled sleeves, I just removed my topcoat, which has a slimmish sleeve):

1zfqujk.jpg

Shoes:

9vayid.jpg

zeero3

Reaction score
Thanks SF!
With advice from an SFer who showed me a few trusted ebay sellers, I picked up a bespoke double-breasted (made for someone else) that looks to be a close fit. Got it in the mail yesterday and went straight to the alterations tailor (also vouched for by SFers and Will from ASW).

I expected to move the sleeves up from the shoulder and hem the pants, but decided on doing more after looking at it in the mirror with the tailor. Taking approximately an inch off the bottom of the jacket (I know, I know, I'm a little scared, I can't lie!), bringing in the waist, and moving the button stance slightly to have the outer lapel lay more flat against chest.

I know this might sound like a huge overhaul, but I'm thinking (and hoping) it's going to be worth it. Here's a shot of the suit from the ebay pic. I didn't take any pics of the suit in person, but can't wait to update with a few pics of the end result. Thanks SF....

sanitat-12846.jpg

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeero3
Thanks SF!
With advice from an SFer who showed me a few trusted ebay sellers, I picked up a bespoke double-breasted (made for someone else) that looks to be a close fit. Got it in the mail yesterday and went straight to the alterations tailor (also vouched for by SFers and Will from ASW).

I expected to move the sleeves up from the shoulder and hem the pants, but decided on doing more after looking at it in the mirror with the tailor. Taking approximately an inch off the bottom of the jacket (I know, I know, I'm a little scared, I can't lie!), bringing in the waist, and moving the button stance slightly to have the outer lapel lay more flat against chest.

I know this might sound like a huge overhaul, but I'm thinking (and hoping) it's going to be worth it. Here's a shot of the suit from the ebay pic. I didn't take any pics of the suit in person, but can't wait to update with a few pics of the end result. Thanks SF....

sanitat-12846.jpg

So how did it turn out?

zeero3

Reaction score
I just took pictures. I made a post asking about how to alleviate a simple issue here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=237955 and seem to be headed on the right track.

Here are a few pics. The jacket sleeves may seem a tad short, but I'm wearing an old shirt with over-sized sleeves. Also, I'm already working on fixing the inseam issue (and associated bad break) due to not having buttons for braces.

All criticism welcome.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took pictures. I made a post asking about how to alleviate a simple issue here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=237955 and seem to be headed on the right track.

Here are a few pics. The jacket sleeves may seem a tad short, but I'm wearing an old shirt with over-sized sleeves. Also, I'm already working on fixing the inseam issue (and associated bad break) due to not having buttons for braces.

All criticism welcome.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

I think it's fine. Shirt sleeves a tad too long though.

wetnose

Reaction score

All criticism welcome.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Hi there...can you raise the camera at a higher position (say shoulder height) to get a better perspective? Picture is taken from an odd perspective (you're reducing viewers to 4 year olds, lol) and hard to judge as a result. I'm thinking that the horizontal distance of the lower 2 rows of buttons could be reduced by 1".

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yet to get into double breasted action
angry.gif
... someone buy my Hand Made Luciano Barbera 40R Double Breasted Sport Coat in my sig, it's too big for me.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxxford makes a dammed nice suit. Too bad I can't iron a collar worth a damn. Or take good photos.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Apart from the divot on the right upper sleeve, that is damned good.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Apart from the divot on the right upper sleeve, that is damned good.

Do we want to open up that can of worms again?
laugh.gif

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All criticism welcome.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Overall good result. My preference is for much less built-up shoulders, especially on your build, or my
impression of it from the photos. The Oxxford example in this thread is closer to what I think would
look better on you. Shoulders can be altered. I have had it done successfully, but never starting from
the degree of padding in your suit. It can be tricky.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Overall good result. My preference is for much less built-up shoulders, especially on your build, or my
impression of it from the photos. The Oxxford example in this thread is closer to what I think would
look better on you. Shoulders can be altered. I have had it done successfully, but never starting from
the degree of padding in your suit. It can be tricky.

I'm loving the roped shoulders from what I can see. Mind you, I wish this weren't a worm's eye view shot since that distorts. This is pretty close to a perfect suit to my eye.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks good, Lufty. You could use a shirt with longer points or a slightly more spread collar.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I'm loving the roped shoulders from what I can see. Mind you, I wish this weren't a worm's eye view shot since that distorts. This is pretty close to a perfect suit to my eye.

+1, that's a damn good looking suit.

jack220

Reaction score
Ok, I plan to get a DB 6x2 (6 button to 2 at the front edge) suit made.

Question, how does the 'inside lapel' stay in place, since it isn't fastened (button is non-working) - is there an inner button?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads