• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw some kid on campus the other day swagged out in junya camo lined jeans. Almost said something to him but didn't want to be straight creeper.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm not getting involved, but here's why I'm not going to wag my finger at Uncontrol:

The jean had a lousy cut that created a noticeable visual oddity for anyone who wore them. This is evident by seemingly every member here who bought a pair during the first run eventually parting with them. To my knowledge, no one has been critical of the actual denim, hardware, etc. It's the wonky pattern of the jean that's the issue. Thus, this stock dump is going to be prone to criticism / playful jabs, regardless of how low the price is.

This is exactly it. I don't like that Mauro has obviously continuously used this forum as beta testers for his garments and never said, "My bad, these are all wrong, send them back and we'll refund you." And I mean, from a financial standpoint that's disastrous for sure, but that would be the consequence of releasing an item that clearly hasn't been put through it's paces. I'm sure Mauro is a "nice guy" or whatever but that doesn't mean he should be immune to criticism for taking thousands of dollars in exchange for clearly faulty product.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
This is exactly it. I don't like that Mauro has obviously continuously used this forum as beta testers for his garments and never said, "My bad, these are all wrong, send them back and we'll refund you." And I mean, from a financial standpoint that's disastrous for sure, but that would be the consequence of releasing an item that clearly hasn't been put through it's paces. I'm sure Mauro is a "nice guy" or whatever but that doesn't mean he should be immune to criticism for taking thousands of dollars in exchange for clearly faulty product.

Do you know for a fact that he's used the forum as "beta testers" and that he has "never" said "my bad, these are all wrong, send them back and we'll refund" you? Have you purchased anything from his stores in the past or any of his products in the past and experienced his customer service for yourself? Or is your statement purely based on assumptions you've made by occassionally reading posts on the forum and just holding onto a few of the negative posts to continue your "honest assessments"?

It's an open forum with freedom of expression obviously, but for someone who has no interest in the specific products Mauro has carried in his stores or in his current product line, your continued negative criticisms and baiting is overplaid and childish.

Despite the occassional misfires/mishaps and bumps on the road on his way to trying to make his own brand successful, he's definitely contributed more to this forum than some of you clowns constantly PMSing over frivolous ****.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most clothing isn't put through it's paces. they just make it and sell it. testing stuff thoroughly is expensive. bigger brands definitely do it, and those brands that have really active / thorough production management teams do it, but i think you would be surprised how little thought goes into making clothes sometimes. those who outsource without putting in the time run the biggest risk of running into "lolchina," i.e. this type of exchange: "can you do this?" "yea we can do that" *sends goods* "
ffffuuuu.gif
all wrong" in terms of mauro i once saw some blog post or something where it at least seemed like he knew what he was doing and was testing things before sale.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Yeesh all I did was say I couldn't believe people still wanted to buy them. I'm not the one who blew this up :/

And no I never handled his products but I don't need to do that to see the FUPA, the bizarre cut on all the pants, the used-down shirt tags (really? Why not take the time to fix them and then send it out?), the peacoat shoulders ... come on. Non-affiliates would be raked over the coals for stuff like that. Just because I haven't and wouldn't buy from Mauro doesn't mean I can't find that stuff ridiculous.

I'm done with it anyway ... call me an instigator if you want, but I made a relatively tame criticism and received a pretty outrageous response.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why the **** are ti-83 calculators so expensive?
it's $90 dollars right now on amazon. it cost about that much when I got mine in middle school. i can buy a nintendo ds for $150 and it would have 1000 times (if not more) the processing power and memory. texas instruments is telling me that in ten years they haven't been able to improve their production process to deliver at a cheaper price?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought tickets for the Pitchfork Festival today. (OFWGKTA will be there, swag swag swag or whatever)

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The technology in graphics calculators has barely changed since they were invented and thus the price really hasn't changed. Also theres not that much market for them apparently.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the market is huge. this thing has like 2k of ram and a z80. that's not worth 83 dollars to anyone.
edit - my fault, it's got 32k. i was right about there being a z80 inside though. lol.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the SATs are any indicator of what is taught in american High school maths classes then theres no need for graphing calculators, I didn't think anyone used them. They're only use is for stats why would you need to draw a ****** graph on your calculator that doesn't really tell you anything.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Yeesh all I did was say I couldn't believe people still wanted to buy them. I'm not the one who blew this up :/

You've said more then that though and have continued to hold onto all the negative aspects about it so let's be real. So people buy what they buy, right? Let the consumers purchasing the goods deal with it and make honest observations from personal experiences is all I'm saying. Not all feedback needs to be positive and I can give two ***** about being PC, but it seems a bit foolish for anyone to continuously judge things with such an underlying condescending tone without any first hand experience is all I'm saying.

Sure the guy has had misses, every store and designer does, and he's posted comments that I don't think he should have regardless of what may have provoked him, but I've always experienced great customer service from Mauro and his crew. I'm not a "fanboy", but I don't have the faintest clue about the industry or what it takes to make a shirt or jean pattern, etc. so I don't go off trying to pretend I do here. But despite the hits on the forum and having to close down his B&M, etc. he seems to continue to work his ass off on his own line and seems to continuously try to improve on things with experience and customer feedback, so I can admire that.

We're all critical about clothing here obviously and members span a variety of tastes and aesthetics, I mean it's a fashion forum and we all essentially share an enthusiasm about clothing period or we wouldn't log into this place and post ******* pictures of ourselves or obsess over details and fits, etc., but I guess I just think there's better ways to do so. Anyway, I'm over the ordeal, it just rubbed me the wrong way hearing **** that has been blown up and disected ad nauseaum already.

Tico

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
If the SATs are any indicator of what is taught in american High school maths classes then theres no need for graphing calculators, I didn't think anyone used them. They're only use is for stats why would you need to draw a ****** graph on your calculator that doesn't really tell you anything.

SAT math is really a joke. Same as the writing section. I have a lot of beef for the system. It's a necessary evil, though. Whatever, I'm done with that. I was happy with a 2300.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok. so there is a market - why is there no competition? why aren't firms entering the calculator game?

btw TI does make other calculators - they make the 36x-II which is good for anything that doesn't need graphing or matrices. hp makes the hp 12c which is the calculator used for another mandatory test (CFAs). actually the HP12c is a better example. it's ancient as **** and yet it costs $50. the only reason someone would have one is if they're taking the CFA tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads