• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Today was interesting: saw two Samuelsohn pieces for the first time. Both had holes in the sleeve cuffs and were older labels (black & red, no heart) so I left them. Definitely warmed my heart a little to see that SOMEONE in Ohio has heard of Sammy!
inlove.gif

Also found a BB linen shirt (for me) and a pair of BB seersucker pants just in time for spring/summer.

Mostly, though, I found this Ferragamo scarf - the first fruits from all that searching the women's scarves. Still have never found a pocket square, but this thing is pretty neat. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, there's a couple of spots so I'm not real sure how it'd sell on ebay. Nothing major but I could see it scaring off picky-types.

I still don't understand why the middle has guys playing polo, though!
laugh.gif

P1060552.jpg

Love that scarf. I really like Versace scarfs as they are a little flashy and out there. Dont know if I can pull them off though.

Anyway. I've purchased squares from 12" up to 30". Yes, 30" is considered a scarf and one CAN manipulate it to be used as a PS. I do want to say that with the larger scarfs you are able to cut/sew them to make them into multiple PS's. I have a pink flower/daisy one that I bought off of ebay and I can use it as a PS but I'm going to see if I can cut the scarf into multiple PS.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Yeah, you're right. That's pretty lucky. I found it pretty odd that it was the identical model with the same buttons, scarlet lining and everything. The first one was small. I'm a 40R and that one may have even been tagged a 40, but it was short. This one is tagged a 43 but my tailor can take it in quite nicely. Odd sizing.

(Also saw another Chester Barrie SC at a different store a few days ago, but it was pretty beaten up.)

ive got a chester barrie sb blazer on ebay in 42s
biggrin.gif
i know its not your size, but you should buy it! just saying...

csoukoulis

Reaction score
made a couple quick stops today while out testing out the new suspension on my Trans Am project.

5 pars of brooks brothers flat front recent pants in my size
2 pairs In linen lt tan & dk tan
3 pairs wool. lt gray, dk gray, dk gray glen plaid with over check

Thomas Pink Linen shirt
Kenneth gordon sea island cotton plaid casual l/s button up shirt
turnbull & asser tuxedo shirt (its a sz 17 so i figured id keep it so when i find a tux ill already have the shirt!)
Pendleton shirt
Billy Reid White with blue check casual l/s button up
Hickey freeman loro piana boardroom navy suit 42R so this is for sale
Hickey freeman boardroom charcoal pin striped suit also a 42r & for sale
Vintage robert talbott striped skinny tie
recent brooks brothers striped tie
woolf brothers striped vintage skinny tie
Lanvin tie

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
Good call. I like to repair my own stuff, and I've replaced a stitched-on buckle on a belt before, but I haven't had good luck cutting new holes in leather. I'm okay with the holes I drilled into my chunky leather belt for jeans, but for a dressy belt that needs clean cuts, I'd take it to a cobbler who can do it easily for not much $$.

No visible hole cutting is required for most belts.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Is it just my inexperience talking or does that Hermès look fake? Doesn't look like typical Hermès to me, though I like the pattern, whether it is or isn't. Picked up a similar BB tie recently. Round two of the ties is nice in general, esp. that BoO one.

Noobizor: nice find on the Pynchon. Books are my first love, and I always feel a little guilty that I spend so much less time scanning the thrift shelves now... That used to be the only reason I went to thrift stores. Ha! I think I'd make the hardback my 'reading copy' and keep the Vintage in vintage condition, though
smile.gif

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
did some more digging
DSC_0414.jpg
DSC_0417.jpg
The Sandy Bull record has some amazing sides. Im definitely going to be looking for more of his stuff. I need to get a classical education the store I found the Arvo Part LP had a ton of Vox boxsets and such in NM condition.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^nice find on the kinks LP!

Originally Posted by wcl
Picked up a pair of NWT Howard Yount trou today. Talk about a rare bird!! Also picked up a Flusser DB suit. Dead mint with LOTS of handwork. At one of my semi-annual stops I passed on a Dior Homme DB trench. Absolutely perfect except missing the belt. It would have been $150. I probably should have given it a shot, but I was just not feeling it.

Dior Homme? or old crappy dior?

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
made a couple quick stops today while out testing out the new suspension on my Trans Am project.

5 pars of brooks brothers flat front recent pants in my size
2 pairs In linen lt tan & dk tan
3 pairs wool. lt gray, dk gray, dk gray glen plaid with over check

Thomas Pink Linen shirt
Kenneth gordon sea island cotton plaid casual l/s button up shirt
turnbull & asser tuxedo shirt (its a sz 17 so i figured id keep it so when i find a tux ill already have the shirt!)
Pendleton shirt
Billy Reid White with blue check casual l/s button up
Hickey freeman loro piana boardroom navy suit 42R so this is for sale
Hickey freeman boardroom charcoal pin striped suit also a 42r & for sale
Vintage robert talbott striped skinny tie
recent brooks brothers striped tie
woolf brothers striped vintage skinny tie
Lanvin tie

Hey if any of those shirts are 14.5 let me know...
biggrin.gif

Ulyanov

Reaction score
Had an insane haul yesterday, Burberry Blazer, Zegna Blazer, Nino Cerruti Blazer, Corneliani Suit, Hickey Freeman Suit and some part Cashmere made in Italy blazer from "Duca Di Mantova" all in fantastic, almost perfect condition. All but the Cerruti are too large for me, but they were so amazing I had to pick them up. Apologize for the pics, my bed is the only vaguely suitable surface where I'm living and it's a pretty lumpy twin. Burberry Blazer in practically mint condition
bDlBFl.jpg
Jr80il.jpg
cvhVel.jpg
Nino Cerruti
06kHQl.jpg
pf7Rrl.jpg
Zegna Blazer
qS4Yrl.jpg
VEOEql.jpg
Duca Di Mantova, more of a really dark green/turqouise then the photo shows
no5fZl.jpg
oyDJvl.jpg
RbUJ7l.jpg
Hickey Freeman Suit
FRNStl.jpg
KYjT8l.jpg
0idipl.jpg
Corneliani Suit
ZxqPul.jpg
xla2nl.jpg
MgBJ1l.jpg
fR273l.jpg
ohoa8l.jpg
dhyRvl.jpg
NIsxil.jpg
Larger Pictures at http://imgur.com/a/gPSFo#06kHQ

odiv

Reaction score
Nice haul, Ulyanov. Going to put them up on B&S or anything? I wouldn't mind measurements and a price on the Duca Di Mantova SC. Maybe the Burberry too.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit a Salvation Army today, WOW!

Shirts long sleeves: RLPL, NWOT Robert Graham, CC Filson, Zegna, Robert Talbott

Ties: 3 Best of Class, recent

Total: $31.00 Fun!

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
That's how we learn, by leaving things behind and looking them up later on-line.
I left behind a Hermes long sleeve shirt for $12 last year, that's how I
got into this hobby. 2 weeks after I left it behind, that very same Hermes
shirt (with a tear behind the collar) was sold by Nataku for $170 on Ebay.

Where's the smiley face with the light bulb over his head? Get it

I need that smiley face.

I passed on a Caraceni SC today, very soft wool, possibly cashmere, surgeon's cuffs, roped sleeveheads, double vents. Probably measures anywhere from a 42 to a 46. When I googled and eBayed "Caraceni" a few hours later, I flew back to the store but, of course, it was gone.

I bet no one can top that for stupidity! (Hey, if I can't brag about a purchase, I can brag about idiocy. At any rate, brag.)

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
I need that smiley face.

I passed on a Caraceni SC today, very soft wool, possibly cashmere, surgeon's cuffs, roped sleeveheads, double vents. Probably measures anywhere from a 42 to a 46. When I googled and eBayed "Caraceni" a few hours later, I flew back to the store but, of course, it was gone.

I bet no one can top that for stupidity! (Hey, if I can't brag about a purchase, I can brag about idiocy. At any rate, brag.)

Last month, I was all excited to stumble upon a batch of Etro shirts; then I saw they were merely Etons, and left feeling somewhat deflated. Then of course I Googled 'Eton', rushed back to the store, and was all, Fuuuuuuuuuuuu....!!!
ffffuuuu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads