• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

el duderino

Reaction score
The shirts aren't that hard to measure, so you are probably fine buying off of eBay unless the seller is a moron and can't measure. Anyways, my thoughts on the shirts is that while the westerns I've tried on aren't any slimmer than the regular workshirts. The difference to me is they taper more in the body, but nothing extreme. Compared to the selvedge oxfords, the oxfords slimmer all throughout the body and sleeves as well (at least the solid colored ones, white one maybe less so).

Really the only thing to look out for is shirts that are meant to be overshirts, those are the only shirts I would be aware of as they fit larger for that reason.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el duderino
The shirts aren't that hard to measure, so you are probably fine buying off of eBay unless the seller is a moron and can't measure. Anyways, my thoughts on the shirts is that while the westerns I've tried on aren't any slimmer than the regular workshirts. The difference to me is they taper more in the body, but nothing extreme. Compared to the selvedge oxfords, the oxfords slimmer all throughout the body and sleeves as well (at least the solid colored ones, white one maybe less so).

Really the only thing to look out for is shirts that are meant to be overshirts, those are the only shirts I would be aware of as they fit larger for that reason.

I have the raw slubby denim western shirt from a few seasons ago and while the fit is slimmer and tapered in the body, the sleeves are somewhat relaxed and nowhere near BoO slim. If the selvedge oxfords have BoO slim bodies and sleeves then these could be perfect for me as my only real complaint with the western is that the sleeves aren't slim enough. Are only the selvedge versions slim and are they all part of Icon Core?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Can you guys stop scaring me about buying RRL online...?
teacha.gif

903-scary.jpg

Grrrrrr!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
903-scary.jpg

Grrrrrr!

I am going to have nightmare tonight..., seriously I am still trying to sell my RRL Low Straight in 30x30 here...
spam[1].gif
can't afford to do too much experiment

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going to have nightmare tonight..., seriously I am still trying to sell my RRL Low Straight in 30x30 here...
spam[1].gif

didnt you buy a pair that fit? I remember seeing a great fit pic but I may be thinking of someone else

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
didnt you buy a pair that fit? I remember seeing a great fit pic but I may be thinking of someone else

yup, the 28x30 fits great (what I wore today actually), but still trying to sell my 30x30...

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
I have the raw slubby denim western shirt from a few seasons ago and while the fit is slimmer and tapered in the body, the sleeves are somewhat relaxed and nowhere near BoO slim. If the selvedge oxfords have BoO slim bodies and sleeves then these could be perfect for me as my only real complaint with the western is that the sleeves aren't slim enough. Are only the selvedge versions slim and are they all part of Icon Core?

Exactly, the western sleeves are pretty relaxed like the normal shirts. I don't think any non-selvedge oxfords are currently available, (there are chambray ones part of seasonal icon this year, but they are regular fit). The ones made from Japanese selvedge oxford fabric are slim and were sold up until FW10, the tag says made from Japanese piece goods, and the RN number is printed on the inside of the collar.

It appears they discontinued those which would make sense as they are now popping up on eBay and I recall someone posted to this thread saying they had seen them being marked down 25% off at an RRL store. They only mark down core items if they are being discontinued. From the pictures I've seen, the newer versions look to have a fuller cut. The tag now looks like this

5567750983_71fd8266d5_b.jpg

And for reference, I measured a matlock shirt, which is representative of standard RRL shirt sizing

Matlock
Armhole - 10"
Sleeve width at middle - 6 3/8"
P2P - 20" (slowly tapers to 19")
Cuff width - 4"

Selvedge Oxford
Armhole - 9.5"
Sleeve width at middle - 6"
P2P - 19.5" (tapers immediately to 18")
Cuff width - 3.75"

The taper from 19" to 18" is pretty huge as that's 2" less fabric all around. Considering RRL sizing is based off of XS=36, S=38, M=40, etc, the taper feels much more extreme compared to the westerns.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
orchard street had some dress shirts in it. i saw one that was oxford cloth (but not a BD)

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent info as always el duderino. Now to get sellers to check the inside tag for me. Don't understand why they would discontinue these and replace them with a fuller cut.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Excellent info as always el duderino. Now to get sellers to check the inside tag for me. Don't understand why they would discontinue these and replace them with a fuller cut.
+1
teacha.gif
Thanks!

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously I am still trying to sell my RRL Low Straight in 30x30 here...
spam[1].gif

Probably because other NWT RRL jeans have sold for $95-$125 recently. Not knocking you or anything, but you can't expect something to sell if your asking for more than what the market will bear. Anyway, I only say this because you did kind of
spam[1].gif
the thread.
wink.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he's not asking for an unreasonable price. 47 gbp is like 75 dollars. honestly i don't see how that's not fair, especially considering the hard to find size and the fact that they're hardly worn.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
he's not asking for an unreasonable price. 47 gbp is like 75 dollars. honestly i don't see how that's not fair, especially considering the hard to find size and the fact that they're hardly worn.

Oh, I saw 123 USD. Maybe that is confusing people. I retract what I said. Did not notice the price down below.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's how much he bought them from me new (including shipping from us to gb)

srgprod

Reaction score
The western denim shirts are designed to be rugged work wear. Worn outside to protect the wearer while doing dirty farm chores and sweaty ranch work. These were not intended to be fashion wear. The sleeves are looser so they breathe and can be rolled up. It's a very well made, practical shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics