• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bullswin

Reaction score
Tailoring/alteration question -- if I want to move the buttons of a shirt sleeves' cuffs (i.e., unsewn and then moved about a half inch), is that an easy job? How much should I expect to pay per shirt?

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I bought Peal & Co Chukka boots (the $248 crepe sole ones); do I need shoe trees in them? Or are the trees just for more formal shoes?
Trees? I put them in all my boots. You don't need anything fancy per se (regular trees will do), but do use the cedar ones which, in addition to dealing with creases/retaining shape, help to keep your boots fresh whilst absorbing moisture (your boots are leather-lined, yes? Very nice). BTW, how are you liking those? I've the black pebble grain on dainite (by AS) which I'm enjoying, and those crepes look interesting to me, too. Enjoy your new boots, and wear them in good health!!

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Hello gentlemen,so I'm thinking about this RLPL Silk 3piece suit,i like it,and if that was a blazer i wouldn't hesitate but i'm not sure about suit,I'm 19 and i like and wear a lot of clothing that is considered "old men's" nowadays,including brass button,double breasted blazers but I'm not sure this will look good on me,i think about pimpin' it a little bit with a colorful PS,tie.So what do you think about this suit for someone my age?and also what about 100% silk suits?I've neither owned nor seen one,only blends,what do they look,feel like?Also as i see pants on this suit are no-belt or how are they called,is there a way to convert them to normal type i.e. for belt?...
I wouldn't wear this coat as a sport coat, and I'm more likely to use a suit coat as a separate than most here. It might be possible to use extra fabric from alterations (such as shortening the pants) to make belt loops, but the side tabs are best if you're wearing a vest and slim enough to not need suspenders. I've never had a silk suit so I can't comment on that question.
Originally Posted by bcondon17
Is it possible to get a shirt let in on the sides and have the arms slimmed down? Will this cause problems with other parts of the shirt? and How much would that normally cost?
It's possible. If you aren't taking in an extreme amount, it shouldn't affect the rest of the shirt too much. I've only had it done once, and it cost $15.
Originally Posted by bullswin
Tailoring/alteration question -- if I want to move the buttons of a shirt sleeves' cuffs (i.e., unsewn and then moved about a half inch), is that an easy job? How much should I expect to pay per shirt?
Very easy. I can't think of anything easier. With a needle, thread and scissors, you could do it yourself in a minute or so. Although it might take a few more minutes your first time. A friend had buttons replaced on a shirt and he was charged $2-3 per button. I'd just do it myself while watching TV or talking on the phone.

deem

Reaction score
hey everyone, quick question about shoe sizing. I am hoping to grab a pair of AE Strands through one of the great deals on the FS section. The only "decent" dress shoes I have are J&M Meltons. Does anyone have any idea how these compare fit-wise to the Strands (or anything on the AE 5 last)? There are a lot of great deals that I want to take advantage of before they run out, but I am unable to go try AEs on at a local store because I am preparing for law school finals (which means I'm pretty much constantly in the library or my apartment studying). Thanks for any input!

vaalbara

Reaction score
i'm a poor college student looking to buy my first pair of dress shoes, and i'm not sure where to start, just that i like the wingtip silhouette and that i'm not interested in the 30$ walmart monstrosities that i see most people my age wearing.

anyone have any recommendations on where to start?

Ike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
i'm a poor college student looking to buy my first pair of dress shoes, and i'm not sure where to start, just that i'm not interested in the 30$ walmart monstrosities that i see most people my age wearing.

Forum search a bit - that question is asked daily. Used can be an option?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simple Elegance
I already own a pair of AEs Park Avenue and some other formal shoes, but I wanted something I can wear with jeans. I was thinking about these shoes which can be had for $155. I'm 23 btw.

Opinions?

Hell no. Get something brown, and don't get something shaped like that piece of garbage.

Black shoes only go with black or gray. They do not go with jeans, unless those jeans are black or gray.

In modern times, that's about as absolute a rule as you can get. It pretty much never looks good.

May I recommend a penny loafer?
https://bassshoes.harborghb.com/bass-weejuns-mens

Or something in suede from this page?
https://bassshoes.harborghb.com/cata...ens//start/all

take_eacy

Reaction score
What solid color shirts go with a black knit tie?

It feels more and more like a street-wear kinda thing.

I have been wearing a blue oxford with the black knit for awhile, but I've recently become unsure about this color combo as I've perused around SF more. What do you guys think about this combo?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by take_eacy
What solid color shirts go with a black knit tie?

It feels more and more like a street-wear kinda thing.

I have been wearing a blue oxford with the black knit for awhile, but I've recently become unsure about this color combo as I've perused around SF more. What do you guys think about this combo?

I think the question would be matching the color of the shirt and jacket/sweater. The black knit would not be my first choice with a blue shirt, but it would work well enough.

You could certainly never go wrong with a white shirt.

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
i'm a poor college student looking to buy my first pair of dress shoes, and i'm not sure where to start, just that i like the wingtip silhouette and that i'm not interested in the 30$ walmart monstrosities that i see most people my age wearing.

Here is what I did at first:
1) Went to a store that carried Allen Edmonds and found out what my size was in a couple of models I liked. (They come in different lasts, which may affect how dif. models fit your feet).
2) Studied Ebay to see how much those models cost.
3) With the price point in mind, waited until a pair that wasn't beat to hell popped up and jumped on it.
4) Got them, decided I didn't like them after all. Ate a few bucks on shipping to return them.
5) Did the same thing again until I got the shoes I liked.

Don't have time for all that? Just email the AE shoebank (<[email protected]>) for a list of the shoes they have in your size. This will included discontinued models and seconds. Little more expense, but easier to return and they will be new.

ALSO, search the forum for more ideas. But this will get you started.

BYucko

Reaction score
Messenger Bag or some other Murse

Function: gum/mints, water bottle, chapstick (accutane), snack, sunglasses, wallet, phone, earbuds, business cards, book, documents, student card, bus pass, PlayBook/iPad2
Colour: Black/brown/tan
Price Range: $200-400

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Is it normal for Brooks Brothers to sell out of everything? I was looking for some Chinos, and they have none left apart from 1 or 2 sizes in their current collection. Do they back order? Im actually an 8/10 right now on a scale of 1 to 10 pissed off. I have no summer wear and it looks like Im going to be stuck with Ralph Lauren Polo yet again this year
ffffuuuu.gif

Reaction score
Would someone mind elaborating on what tailoring adjustments are:

- simple (and typically inexpensive)
- feasible (but perhaps a bit more pricey)
- Difficult and ill-advised

For dress shirts? Odd jackets/blazers? Dress pants? Miscellany (e.g., sweaters and such)?

I would be quite indebted; armed with my basic measurements and this information, I'd feel a bit more confident making purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads