• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds new custom shoe program

Storm33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
"seems" is the key word.

Alden gives a better feeling of luxury/exclusivity than Allen Edmonds.

There is little to no difference in material and construction.

That's good to know. I've never owned / worn Alden's, but I've gathered that they have a better reputation here on SF so I perceived them to be of superior quality.

I have five (soon to be six) pairs of AE's that I've been happy with, so maybe I can stick with the "known commodity".

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is great--didn't know about this. Have been looking for something pretty much like a Strand in brown suede for a while, but didn't want to pay C&J prices as it's not something I'd wear a ton... Now I might just have to...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Storm33
That's good to know. I've never owned / worn Alden's, but I've gathered that they have a better reputation here on SF so I perceived them to be of superior quality.

95% of SFers are blind followers.

There are less than a handful of true innovators or truly knowledgeable.

Anything produced in small/smaller quantity is also automatically assumed to be "better"

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
As someone who owns both AEs and Alden's, I think Alden is a far superior shoe, even if we're talking calf vs. calf.

I place Alden on par with C&J benchgrade. AE, I don't.

peepwall[1].gif

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
95% of SFers are blind followers.

There are less than a handful of true innovators or truly knowledgeable.

Anything produced in small/smaller quantity is also automatically assumed to be "better"

++1 Can't confirm your percentage's but agree with your thought.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I think I may give this a try. The small mark-up just to get a size 11 on one foot and 11.5 on the other would be worth it.

Suede Park Aves anyone?

That was my first thought too, however some members have claimed Nordstrom or any AE store will give you mismatched size pairs for no additional charge.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well, this can be said about custom shoes across the brands. Unfortunately, many people take custom to mean that they should get every nook and cranny possible. If you look through the bespoke shoe thread, you'll see shoes where you realize why the brand does not make it a stock shoe.

In terms of AE versus Alden, Alden is "better" to me because, for my tastes, they have better looking shoes (the Indy, the NST's, the variations of the two, the longwings, the chukkas, the PTB's), where they overlap in shoes (the macneil/alden longwing, teh delray/alden NST), alden does a better job aesthetically, Alden is more innovative in their leathers and because Alden has a lot less clunkers in their lineup. AE can get rid of 50% of their lineup, and still have a lot more uglier shoes than Alden. Also, in terms of shell cordovan (which is where 95% of the Alden fanboyism comes from), I don't know of any other maker that offers the options that Alden does at the price that Alden does. For me, this makes Alden better, for someone else, it may not.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped in the Minneapolis store today to investigate further. The SA told me the website for custom launched early and he says it is not yet 100% complete. Not all models and leathers/options are shown but he says they'll do anything.

Additionally, if the model you want is currently on sale nationally, you pay the sale price plus the upcharge of $125. For example, if the McAllister is on sale for $249 right now, that's your price plus the $125. Your choice of leathers (and suedes and even linen), stitching, sole and insole and your width and length per each shoe.

A nice moderately priced option for those of us with hard-to-fit feet.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by piergiacomi
It is an interesting service, congratulations to those who created it, may I ask if the construction is hand-made Goodyear?
In Italy I have never seen this brand, but for $ 450 about 300 € you can not buy handmade shoes goodyear.

It is a goodyear construction but not hand made. Allen Edmonds shoes are factory produced shoes. This company does not have presence in Italy. I think they have stores in Belgium and Germany.

Please pay no attention to the SF members who disparage Allen Edmonds shoes. These decent shoes for the price. Obviously you cannot compare $350 AE shoes with $1100 Edward Greeen shoes.

piergiacomi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
It is a goodyear construction but not hand made. Allen Edmonds shoes are factory produced shoes. This company does not have presence in Italy. I think they have stores in Belgium and Germany.

Please pay no attention to the SF members who disparage Allen Edmonds shoes. These decent shoes for the price. Obviously you cannot compare $350 AE shoes with $1100 Edward Greeen shoes.

Thanks, I did not want to speak ill of the brand, I'm just trying to understand your target market, your price, and the tastes in the U.S.
In Italy is most different for style, but not for price, it is similar.
smile.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
well, this can be said about custom shoes across the brands. Unfortunately, many people take custom to mean that they should get every nook and cranny possible. If you look through the bespoke shoe thread, you'll see shoes where you realize why the brand does not make it a stock shoe.

In terms of AE versus Alden, Alden is "better" to me because, for my tastes, they have better looking shoes (the Indy, the NST's, the variations of the two, the longwings, the chukkas, the PTB's), where they overlap in shoes (the macneil/alden longwing, teh delray/alden NST), alden does a better job aesthetically, Alden is more innovative in their leathers and because Alden has a lot less clunkers in their lineup. AE can get rid of 50% of their lineup, and still have a lot more uglier shoes than Alden. Also, in terms of shell cordovan (which is where 95% of the Alden fanboyism comes from), I don't know of any other maker that offers the options that Alden does at the price that Alden does. For me, this makes Alden better, for someone else, it may not.

I thought AE's shell cordovan is a bit cheaper (like 100~150 cheaper?). Though they're some chunky shoe coming from Alden I do like for casual (gunboat/longwing/boots) wear. How's Alden last better? Even Plaza is not that sleek in my eyes (though I do like it).

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Storm33
I stumbled across this feature on the AE site last week. Made a nice pair of Strand's in brown suede with Vibram sole (after I had just ordered a pair of "plain" Strand's in Walnut), then realized I could get some Alden wingtips in brown suede with Commando soles for about the same price. It seems like the Alden's would be a better shoe, correct?

Correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads