• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

tps16

Reaction score
Millisime Imperial

This fragrance seemed pretty good when I first got it, but over time, I've come not to like it that much. I don't think I'll get another bottle when it runs out.

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
But at the same time, I've already stated that Cool Water and GIT smell exactly the same to me.

I missed that intriguing comment. I find GIT OK, but Cool Water leaves me, uh, cold. I'll have give these the two wrist test.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
The Damir Doma scent is excellent. Essentially a green-incense, but very natural smelling. I will say it's rather subtle and longevity isn't spectacular, but regardless, it's really very nice.

Thank you! Maybe I'll give it a whirl
smile.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aventus from a dept store counter bottle. I like the scent - very simple, quite well suited for 85 degree LA weather. Overpriced, but is there any Creed that isn't?

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tps16
Millisime Imperial This fragrance seemed pretty good when I first got it, but over time, I've come not to like it that much. I don't think I'll get another bottle when it runs out.
Actually, after a day of wearing this, I loathe it. Unfortunately, it seems to have pretty good longevity on me. It's given me a bad taste at the back of my throat. I only used 3 sprays this morning! Strangely, my wife likes this the best of all my colognes. Oh well... The only summer appropriate scents I have at the moment are Pour Monsieur and Sycomore. I'm thinking of picking up Guerlain's Vetiver. Any other recommendations?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, after a day of wearing this, I loathe it. Unfortunately, it seems to have pretty good longevity on me. It's given me a bad taste at the back of my throat. I only used 3 sprays this morning! Strangely, my wife likes this the best of all my colognes. Oh well... The only summer appropriate scents I have at the moment are Pour Monsieur and Sycomore. I'm thinking of picking up Guerlain's Vetiver. Any other recommendations?
YSL Live Jazz - Very good and inexpensive. Grapefruit, Mint, Coriander Gendarme - Ultra light, slightly soapy and crisp. Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - this has a tenacious cedary orange rind drydown that's well suited for the heat Diptyque Tam Dao - If you like Sandalwood and Cedar, this is the one. Feng Shui simple and long lasting.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, after a day of wearing this, I loathe it. Unfortunately, it seems to have pretty good longevity on me. It's given me a bad taste at the back of my throat. I only used 3 sprays this morning! Strangely, my wife likes this the best of all my colognes. Oh well...

The only summer appropriate scents I have at the moment are Pour Monsieur and Sycomore. I'm thinking of picking up Guerlain's Vetiver. Any other recommendations?

I feel like a broken record because I say this every time I see the words "summer" and "scent" in the same sentence, but I really think Hermes Jardin sur le Nil is the perfect summer fragrance. It's a bright mango with a fascinating sour note at the top.

I also like Premier Figuier very much for summer. As the name suggests, it's a fig, but it's very, very green and creamy. It's a bit on the feminine side--not sure if that's an issue for you. Finally, if you're still interested in Creeds, I think Green Valley is a very good summer scent. (FWIW, I'm not generally a big fan of Creeds, and I agree with you completely about MI, but Green Valley really is exceptional, IMO.)

Bal a Versailles edp for me today. It's my first time trying this, and I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm not getting nearly as much of the skank as the BN reviewers get, though. To me, it's primarily an orange fragrance that's nicely complemented by the more aromatic and animalic notes, not the other way around. (The civet does become more prominent in the drydown, though.) Oddly enough, the first comparison that came to mind was Elixir des Merveilles, even though the two fragrances are very different in lots of ways.

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
GIT/Cool Water challange today: GIT on the left wrist and CW on the right. Notes later.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...story of my life. I much prefer AdP Colonia vs. the Intensa version, but otherwise I completely agree with the above - it is about as good as a summer scent can get in my opinion. YSL Live Jazz is kind of a tricky one for me; to this day I get it confused with Platinum Egoiste whenever I wear either. In contrast, GIT vs Cool Water, for me, is "boring, but tolerable" vs "headache inducing". I sort of want to pick up some Fahrenheit for this summer. The many times that I've sampled it, it has come across as surprisingly "green" despite the obvious grungy gas note.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
I sort of want to pick up some Fahrenheit for this summer. The many times that I've sampled it, it has come across as surprisingly "green" despite the obvious grungy gas note.
I love the original AdP Colonia, it's the poor longevity that prevents me from recommending it. Fahrenheit is great stuff. Just have to use a very light touch for summer. There's a new variation called Fahrenheit Aqua, which is supposed to be more suited to heat. Haven't tried it, though.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
..., but I really think Hermes Jardin sur le Nil is the perfect summer fragrance. It's a bright mango with a fascinating sour note at the top....

I'm going to look this one up. Thanks -

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given that he just passed, I think we all need to pull out that hidden bottle of Bijan! men that we all have and spritz it a few times.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh wow, Bijan! I didn't know. :-(

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Noir de Noir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads