• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Am I the only one who cant stand the look of the Dover? Everyone raves about it, but I don't get it. It looks marsupialed, if shoes could be marsupialed. And I like most EG designs.

they are the ultimate split toes. period.

if you dont like split toes, you aren't going to like the dover, obviously.

its not really that complicated
ffffuuuu.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Hey if it's good enough for Cusey.
bigstar[1].gif

Yep there's def a bit of group-think about it. and it's hard to get past 'second most sublime RTW shoe' and 'EG flagship' - but if in some horrible nightmare i had to choose only 2 pairs of shoes, a Dover on the 82 in dark oak antiqued willow calf would be one of them, and not just because in the 82 last it's the equal (with Vass F) most comfortable RTW shoe for me.

It's got great balance - if you look side on, the seamless counter compliments the stitched vamp - the Vass Norweger e.g. doesn't have that. The higher toe-box means it doesn't pinch and the shoe look more substantial. The square waist and double sole gives it weight and dignity - is there a Lobb that has the Dover's gravitas and 'manliness'? (The Chambord is inferior).

It's unpretentious, not flashy, so it's easier to love over a long time. It's a derby that goes great with suits.
etc etc

and there's the pig bristle artisanal stitching
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by Baron
I love the Dover.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain

ffffuuuu.gif

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Hm - i wear a 43 EU in vass F last and a 10D on the alden plaza last. 9.5 UK on the C+J 325 last,

Any experience with any of those?

-Geoff

Well, I wear 43 EU in the F last, 9E UK on the 348 in C&J, 9.5E in G&G, US 10D in AE, 10D in Alden Aberdeen, etc. I would recommend trying them of if you are going to drop a bunch of money on a pair of shoes, personally
smile.gif

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Am I the only one who cant stand the look of the Dover? Everyone raves about it, but I don't get it. It looks marsupialed, if shoes could be marsupialed. And I like most EG designs.

+100 especially with that godawful undersewing thing like Sutor does.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister

I love the undersewing
inlove.gif
- It's what it's allllll about

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
People can say what they want about the prices, which I agree are nose bleed expensive, but JL Paris is the gold standard in bespoke men's footwear. I can't think of a maker that is even close except ex-JL Paris artisans. Many of the well-known english makers could learn a thing or two from looking at these pictures - the elegance of nearly every shoe is profound.

never been to vienna?

this is low standard compared what can be seen there, period

lurk more noob...

...and i'm open to qualified communication. nuff said.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Start off with a little warmup...

this is quite a boring execution of the norweger shoe. very uninspiring. wear them in good health.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personal tastes are one thing...and I, myself, would probably never wear a pair of split toes. But this is where the real shoe aficionados get separated from the fan-boys.

Round closing ("understitching") is considered one of the most difficult techniques that a maker can bring to a shoe. Especially when done with any kind of finesse. It is also considered the strongest stitch that can be used to close two pieces of leather. It is entirely hand done and is nearly emblematic of everything that makes a high quality shoe.

You don't have to like it aesthetically but anyone who cannot at least appreciate it has neither the eye nor the sensibilities necessary to recognize or do justice to fine quality anything.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
It's got great balance -

not really. manliness? haha
laugh.gif

most of your observations mirror your preferences. can i have a proof of the handstitched apron please. it doesn't look like that. when i asked real craftsmen, there was silence, which tells a lot. just saying.

putting the dover in the same sentence of a vash norweger is blasphemy, imo.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
I love the undersewing
inlove.gif
- It's what it's allllll about

Whaatttt - the undersewing is part of the quality you are paying for...
facepalm.gif

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Personal tastes are one thing...and I, myself, would probably never wear a pair of split toes. But this is where the real shoe aficionados get separated from the fan-boys.

Round closing ("understitching") is considered one of the most difficult techniques that a maker can bring to a shoe. Especially when done with any kind of finesse. It is also considered the strongest stitch that can be used to close two pieces of leather. It is entirely hand done and is nearly emblematic of everything that makes a high quality shoe.

You don't have to like it aesthetically but anyone who cannot at least appreciate it has neither the eye nor the sensibilities necessary to recognize or do justice to fine quality anything.

I don't like it aesthetically...mine was not a comment on the cordwainer's skills.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain

ffffuuuu.gif

gives me a chuckle, thank you very much.

ever heard of the gg hove? i suspect no.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
not really. manliness? haha
laugh.gif
most of your observations mirror your preferences. can i have a proof of the handstitched apron please. it doesn't look like that. when i asked real craftsmen, there was silence, which tells a lot. just saying. putting the dover in the same sentence of a vash norweger is blasphemy, imo.

Different strokes for different folks--but I guess my view is that I never would put the Dover and the Norweger in the same sentence because as far as I am concerned, they are very different shoes. And although I am not certain that the Dover is necessarily 'manly,' it does have a simple, rustic quality that I really enjoy. And Fritzl, despite almost always having preferences that are the polar opposite of your own, I still always enjoy learning from your posts. With that said, I will likely be in Vienna this summer, so it would be interesting to see these artisans. And I agree with Whnay. about JLPB, those monks are stunning.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like it aesthetically...mine was not a comment on the cordwainer's skills.
I understand...while I love the round closing and the beauty of the technique, I'm not real fond of split-toes, myownself. Might be the only shoe style where the maker really gets to strut his stuff, however.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I understand...while I love the round closing and the beauty of the technique, I'm not real fond of split-toes, myownself. Might be the only shoe style where the maker really gets to strut his stuff, however.

By the way DWFII, being the wealth of knowledge that you are... could you comment on what exactly "round sewing" is? I get the gist of it, and the fact that it is done with a pig bristle, etc., but I know little more than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads