• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Two Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bony boy

rxyJA.jpg

Yeah I like the un-bleached parts, too. I think it would be cool to make a stencil and create patterns with bleach. Do you really have to soak denim in bleach for days? Seems like bleach does its thing within a matter of minutes or hours at the most.

Two Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by steviecakes
tumblr_ljiid4nXXe1qhc6iro1_500.jpg

I like the idea behind these but I think you should have masked-off the soles on the toes. Looks weird with the soles painted gold, too. Also, I think these will look better after some wear.

booger

Reaction score
Not much, but after putting a small hole in the elbow of my SNS Herning STARK cardigan, I decided to do the most amateur sewing job I could on the entire area with some old indigo-dyed Japanese cotton swatches I had laying around. Pretty please with the "authentic" outcome, I must say:
tumblr_ljnl9njjJB1qc9a0fo1_400.jpg

xCrunchx

Reaction score
Someone do something mad to their gats. I would if i had some
frown.gif

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
don't bleach those jeans more dude, they look sweet

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of DIY, does anyone know any good online leather dealers? I want enough lambskin to make two sets of sleeves, and know nothing about anything. I don't need tip-top whatever, because I'm going to **** everything up at least once...For people who have done this, any tips? Websites? Sketchy back-alleys?

Halp?

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xCrunchx
Someone do something mad to their gats. I would if i had some
frown.gif

Contemplating either throwing some paint on mine or drawing a bunch of cats using a sharpie, not sure which yet. (7)

UserName84

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Speaking of DIY, does anyone know any good online leather dealers? I want enough lambskin to make two sets of sleeves, and know nothing about anything. I don't need tip-top whatever, because I'm going to **** everything up at least once...For people who have done this, any tips? Websites? Sketchy back-alleys? Halp?
http://www.leathermerchants.com/view.asp?id=464 also there is this thread on SZ which has a few links as well: http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3382 edit: maybe this thread too http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9587

xCrunchx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
Contemplating either throwing some paint on mine or drawing a bunch of cats using a sharpie, not sure which yet. (7)

assuming their normal gats (not mmm) then maybe dye it? the dye may only get on the suede which may look good? dont turn it into those custom air force 1s where guys draw stuff on theirs.

splatter paint and save $200 instead of margiela gats

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
I'd be grateful if anyone could give me a bit of insight here...

I have a light green cotton perfecto that I want to dye grey or black. I heard that dying a light color to a darker shade may not work out so well, so what do you guys think? SZ recommended Procion dye, anyone here have any experience with that or any other suggestions?

Also, since it's a perfecto, it has zippers everywhere, any tips on avoiding getting color on the zips?

I also sorta want to cover the thing with resin when I'm done but it seems I'm biting off more than I can chew with that. Does anyone have a tutorial on resin coating for amateurs?

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ synth: love the idea of leather sleeving some stuff. keep us posted.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BLUEBERRY LINEN SHIRT noobizor x del monte
w0SFy.jpg
MJkAb.jpg
qz5nU.jpg
WilT0.jpg
LfXzk.jpg
U1Ybc.jpg
8AS6R.jpg
7us7z.jpg
Results tomorrow.
teacha.gif

nomad

Reaction score
lee riders jacket, overdyed black, waxed with calf sleeves
cool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads