• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Trousers in NYC?

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a few pairs of custom trousers in New York (Manhattan) for $300-$400. The two names that crop up on the forum, LS / Dario and Mr. Ned, have left me unimpressed.

Any other options in that price range? I'd like to order from Mina, but I imagine it'll be 4 months before I receive a pair, and I need them sooner than that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ercole charges more (around $700) but the fit is superb.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
who does NYR use?

sellahi22

Reaction score
Dario is not skilled at fitting, but he can copy trousers almost perfectly. His stitching/construction/detailing is also very good (equal to my Chan trousers and better than OTR incotex). I even had him do hand stitching on some cotton trousers, using some Borrelli trousers as an example, and was very impressed by the results. He is also insanely cheap - $90 for CMT.

I would get a pair from Ercole or whoever and take to Dario for copies.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Actually, if you source your own cloth you can save a lot. I think Frank is $450 CMT.

Also, I have tended to order expensive cloth when going through him so maybe standard stuff is cheaper.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Actually, if you source your own cloth you can save a lot. I think Frank is $450 CMT.

Also, I have tended to order expensive cloth when going through him so maybe standard stuff is cheaper.

I that he was a bit cheaper than that, unless prices have gone up recently. I recall being quoted $250 or $300 for CMT last fall. Andrew Rogers was selling Harrisons cloth for 40-60 GBP per meter, so the all-in price was $400-450.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone else have experience with Ercole's fitting skills?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I that he was a bit cheaper than that, unless prices have gone up recently. I recall being quoted $250 or $300 for CMT last fall. Andrew Rogers was selling Harrisons cloth for 40-60 GBP per meter, so the all-in price was $400-450.

There may be a Brooklyn price and a Manhattan price. I pay the latter.

Not complainin', my pants have all come out very good and he will go the extra mile to make things right.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm curious on your experience with Ercole - did you have to provide quite of bit of direction, or was his default trouser style to your liking? I ask as I have noticed many lower-priced NY tailors to have very poor fitting skills when it comes to trousers - particularly a sloppy seat and far too long a rise.

Thanks

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
I'm curious on your experience with Ercole - did you have to provide quite of bit of direction, or was his default trouser style to your liking? I ask as I have noticed many lower-priced NY tailors to have very poor fitting skills when it comes to trousers - particularly a sloppy seat and far too long a rise.

Thanks

Seat and rise are pretty simple measurements. The main art with trousers, IMO, is getting a clean fall, a nice taper, and correct shaping from the seat to the back of the knee.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
2 M is plenty. Probably too much but safe.

I didn't give him much direction. I wore a pair I was reasonably happy with and told him how I liked them. He has been very meticulous about making marginal improvements with every fitting/pair.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 M is plenty. Probably too much but safe.

I didn't give him much direction. I wore a pair I was reasonably happy with and told him how I liked them. He has been very meticulous about making marginal improvements with every fitting/pair.

Thank you

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Dario is not skilled at fitting, but he can copy trousers almost perfectly. His stitching/construction/detailing is also very good (equal to my Chan trousers and better than OTR incotex). I even had him do hand stitching on some cotton trousers, using some Borrelli trousers as an example, and was very impressed by the results. He is also insanely cheap - $90 for CMT.

I would get a pair from Ercole or whoever and take to Dario for copies.

Thanks. I have a few pairs of pants that need to be retired but they fit so well I have been reluctant. Perhaps I should have Dario copy them? Is it easier to contact him directly or through LS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads