• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Can someone recommend a good suede brush?

I use a normal shoe brush, for regular "dusting" and "correcting the nap". I have a crepe one too, but never use it.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I use a normal shoe brush, for regular "dusting" and "correcting the nap". I have a crepe one too, but never use it.

So a good horsehair brush and a gommadin eraser should cover basic suede care for now?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
So a good horsehair brush and a gommadin eraser should cover basic suede care for now?

In my opinion/experience: yes. I don't know about the eraser:

Originally Posted by srivats
^ I just use this brush from alden and it seems to be fine. I don't see the point of using eraser on suede.

Doesn't it work for stains/dark spots? I was thinking of ordering one.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The eraser can do a good work for small stains.

I have the saphir gommadin and also the collonil "cleaner".

I prefer the collonil that is more friable and works very well , the gommadin is too hard and does not clean in the same way.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Alex. I'll look for the Collonil.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Very nice, Jeffery.

Probably not the most popular shoes here, but a daddy needs shoes to play football
with junior. This is what they looked like (older picture, but that's what they looked
like today):

vwnnf.jpg

The sneakers are more than four years old and remained rather dry after their normal
treatment: a brush and some suede spray every now and then. So, I wanted to feed
them a little. I'm not sure what kind of leather this is (nubuck?), but it's obviously not
hairy suede. Here they are after a first layer of RÃ
00a9.png
novateur (the white wonder balm),
not dried yet:

P0o7e.jpg

TnXRZ.jpg

L1q6r.jpg

BBJWr.jpg

qF6L4.jpg

Here they are after another treatment with RÃ
00a9.png
novateur, drying and a wipe with a
cloth. They (look and) feel healthy again, so I think this experiment was succesful.

ljrBH.jpg

22Z6j.jpg

1qmPo.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A while ago I bought a buffing pad that fits on the end of my hand drill. Would it be cheating to polish my shoes at 500RPM?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
A while ago I bought a buffing pad that fits on the end of my hand drill. Would it be cheating to polish my shoes at 500RPM?

I don't care. Please make a before-during-after pictorial.

elgreco

Reaction score
Ugh, I had hoped it wouldn't rain today, but it did and I was forced to go out to grab lunch today, thus in the processing getting my calf C&Js somewhat wet. I'm sure this has been asked ad nauseam, and I've already wiped them down as best as I could with some paper towels, but how can minimize the spotting? Some Reno, a thin layer of wax, and some vigorous brushing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads