• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

ribkin

Reaction score
I flew to NY last week. Went to BiG, tried on so many different pairs... Ended up purchasing a pair of 705SPs even though they were nowhere near the top of my list. Fantastic fit, even for a guy who works out every day
smile.gif

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
how long did it take to start smelling?

About 5 months, but I wear them at work too. Which sometimes can me quite dirty.

I'm some kind of Mike Rowe :p

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ribkin
I flew to NY last week. Went to BiG, tried on so many different pairs... Ended up purchasing a pair of 705SPs even though they were nowhere near the top of my list. Fantastic fit, even for a guy who works out every day
smile.gif

I'm liking mine a lot too. How'd you size yours?

For me at TTS, it's about as small as I want to go, but I'm suspecting they'll stretch a fair amount.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino

For me at TTS, it's about as small as I want to go, but I'm suspecting they'll stretch a fair amount.

Love the fit of my 705BIG's. I actually had to size up one because the thighs on those fit pretty slim and I did not expect much stretch from that denim. I still got a nice slim fit. I certainly would not recommend anyone size down on these.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nopike343
Love the fit of my 705BIG's. I actually had to size up one because the thighs on those fit pretty slim and I did not expect much stretch from that denim. I still got a nice slim fit. I certainly would not recommend anyone size down on these.

I went TTS, and they are tight, but perfect after stretching.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
I went TTS, and they are tight, but perfect after stretching.
I guess sizing would depend on a few things:
1) Your build, my legs are relatively muscular from cycling and working out.
2) How tight you want them to fit.
3) How much discomfort you are willing to tolerate.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nopike343
I guess sizing would depend on a few things:
1) Your build, my legs are relatively muscular from cycling and working out.
2) How tight you want them to fit.
3) How much discomfort you are willing to tolerate.

QFT...

I am really slim... But without being skinny.

By the way (3) is not apllying to me, they fit fine actually. They fit how they are supposed to be: Tight Straight. The only part that is really on the tight side, without hugging my flesh is the thigh area.

ribkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino

TTS. Like you, I expect a fair bit of stretching...

Wonder if anyone here owns both the 705SPs and Sammy 710XX or Iron Heart IHXB01... I'm guessing those are TTS as well...

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will stretch, but not much. Momo's are tight weave, so they don't give much.

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
I bough a pair from Blue In Green (http://blueingreensoho.com/) and those were actually a collaboration between the shop and the brand.

Reason for going there (online) is that at the time very few shops outside of Japan carried Momotaro. Now distribution is improving and they actually had a stand at the last Pitti in Florence.

Having said this, a few words to the wise:

1) You don't buy Momotaro for the design (in fact most brands are better designed), you buy them for the quality of the denim and, let's face it, for the 'mystique'.

2) Momotaro, like most japanese brands, fits true to size. Which means that a 32-waist won't fit...unless you really are a 32.

3) As far as I've experienced, they have a relaxed conception of what 'slim/skinny' means. My pair is supposed to be the slimmest they carry...well, it's a quasi-regular model ;-)

4) If you buy the raw version be careful because the shrinkage is indeed significant.

5) Having said this, I have to stress again the quality aspect. These jeans are bullet-proof, they really look like you could wear them for a life-time before they start getting even minor rips. Mine are quite heavy, I'd be curious to check some lighter models.

alexanduh

Reaction score
whats wrong with their design?

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
whats wrong with their design?

let's say they are not shape-hugging or shape-flattering, they are just normal, quite shapeless jeans, yet made with excellent materials ;-)

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaudevillian
let's say they are not shape-hugging or shape-flattering, they are just normal, quite shapeless jeans, yet made with excellent materials ;-)

i dont agree. momotaro has a ton of cuts.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i dont agree. momotaro has a ton of cuts.

I second this. Momotaro has various cuts, ranging from straight to tapered and slim to even slimmer.

By the way @ Vaudevillian: Why doesn't Momotaro know what slim/skinny should look like? Here is a perfect example from my hand (Exact same silhouette as the pair you bought at BiG, only in one wash variant)

2z87o03.jpg

Most of the models have flattering silhouettes as well, so you don't alone buy Momo's for the denim. It might be the first "selling point" of the brand. But the consumer looks for a total package. Not only nice denim.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaudevillian

I disagree. For Japanese brands, I think Momotaro's slimmer cuts are among the more shape-flattering out there.

As a whole, the Japanese seem to be much less interested in slim, fitted cuts on jeans than we are out west. But there are some good ones, and Momo is one of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads