• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suicmez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
At least people there are willing to critically engage their clothing choices on a conceptual level rather than just be like "i'm so baller du"

we never have thoughtful posts like this:
http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/sho...ostcount=33168
that get thoughtful responses like this:
http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/sho...ostcount=33169

Or maybe because someone's perception of their self image and worth is so bloody fragile that they feel the need to justify negative feedback with a 500 word essay on their life.

There is NO DIFFERENCE in the "level" of conceptual merit between goth ninja stuff and (for example) your clothing choices. They're clothes, they both have their influences, history and heritage, etc...

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
It's because I wanted to have a serious discussion about something without it degenerating into grown men calling each other cunts, oh well!
hey guyz swag swag swagaroo

Hey remember when you were whining about people talking about cars for a page and a half in recent purchases? What you're doing here is infinitely more obnoxious.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suicmez
Or maybe because someone's perception of their self image and worth is so bloody fragile that they feel the need to justify negative feedback with a 500 word essay on their life. There is NO DIFFERENCE in the "level" of conceptual merit between goth ninja stuff and (for example) your clothing choices. They're clothes, they both have their influences, history and heritage, etc...
one can debate the the level conceptual merit of gothninja stuff. i'm undecided on that, personally. what there is a difference in the level of conceptual discussion between here and there. I found the SZ WAYWT to be a fascinating read. It's because of that sort of the stuff that i still hang around here even though i'm unconcerned with progressing my own personal style with ballah kops (with what seems to be cardinal sin of SF :/). Unfortunately. that sort of critical analysis isn't really available anywhere else outside of enthusiast fora.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
one can debate the the level conceptual merit of gothninja stuff. i'm undecided on that, personally.

what there is a difference in the level of conceptual discussion between here and there.

I found the SZ WAYWT to be a fascinating read. It's because of that sort of the stuff that i still hang around here even though i'm unconcerned with progressing my own personal style (horror of horrors). That sort of critical analysis isn't really available anywhere else outside of enthusiast fora.

I think that there is a nice middle ground. I'd like to see more than "steezy dude!" but I don't think that every post needs to be a treatise.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean it's entirely a taste thing. I'd like more of it, but i'm not going to fault people for being unconcerned with these topics. What I do dislike is people trying to shut down discussions because the conversation doesn't revolve around topics that they personally find interesting. Power and discourse y'all.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which is what happens all too often, also good discusions kind of occur amidst a lot of trolling in between which kind of sidetracks things. I'm not saying im a saint in all of this, but I do get provoked more often than not.

ex: uncontrols recent quip against me for no reason.

pfurey

Reaction score
I've found that I learn more analyzing the clothing I wear after seeing it photographed than I have based on critique. Photographing yourself lends well to an almost omniscient point of view regarding your own fit, as if you're able to step outside of your body and really analyse what you're seeing, not what you want to see.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Hey remember when you were whining about people talking about cars for a page and a half in recent purchases? What you're doing here is infinitely more obnoxious.

I don't really think it's the same because this was at least related to fashion, but it's over now anyway :\\

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried to bleach the "beige" nicolas and mark undershirt. id like to do a diy and make it white. should i?

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
I've found that I learn more analyzing the clothing I wear after seeing it photographed than I have based on critique. Photographing yourself lends well to an almost omniscient point of view regarding your own fit, as if you're able to step outside of your body and really analyse what you're seeing, not what you want to see.
+1 to this. I always think my outfits look much better than they do, until I see the pictures I take of myself. I think my bathroom mirror is just really flattering =/. Its the same way with most things, including your body and your hair. Camera adds ten pounds etc. etc. but it also helps to see the things you gloss over when just looking in a mirror, or looking down at yourself.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
+1 to this. I always think my outfits look much better than they do, until I see the pictures I take of myself. I think my bathroom mirror is just really flattering =/. Its the same way with most things, including your body and your hair. Camera adds ten pounds etc. etc. but it also helps to see the things you gloss over when just looking in a mirror, or looking down at yourself.
I agree, except about the camera adding weight. Maybe I just have body image issues (thanks, lightweight rowing!), but I didn't realize thin/skinny I am, particularly my legs, until I started photographing myself. It probably doesn't help that the only other time I see myself is in the mirror at the gym. Also, to anyone who's been to any of the Mountain Goats shows thus far - is it worth showing up early for Megafaun?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Super Nice and amicable guys and they play some decent Appalachia influenced indie folk

bobden

Reaction score
God damn, my Wolverine 1000 Miles shipped from Revolve got picked up by Customs
ffffuuuu.gif
Not totally unexpected but it's definitely annoying me. Hopefully they won't charge too much and it'll still be worth getting them form the US.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thoughful RFT: damn, 3 button jackets are amazing all the time always

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God Damn right brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads