• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (08.05.2011)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
No. Did they explain how the "apes" supposedly took over?

Yes. Quite clever actually.

lefty

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It was actually quite good. This remake stuff is utter crap.

I'm sure the people involved with the original are shocked by its staying power. I mean, they're pretty damn schlocky movies when you come down to it, but 40+ years later it's still a valuable franchise. It just goes to show how powerfully the underlying story resonates with audiences - even if we're almost wiped off the face of the planet, humans will still triumph!

I'm glad they dropped the time travel angle for this one. "Battle" never made a lot of sense to me - he goes back in time to find that chimps and gorillas have already been domesticated and mastered tool use etc, and they're just waiting for him to teach them how to speak?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I'm sure the people involved with the original are shocked by its staying power. I mean, they're pretty damn schlocky movies when you come down to it, but 40+ years later it's still a valuable franchise. It just goes to show how powerfully the underlying story resonates with audiences - even if we're almost wiped off the face of the planet, humans will still triumph!

But at the end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the nuclear bomb goes off. The world is destroyed. Everything that ever lived was wiped from existence. I'm not sure that's a triumph.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
But at the end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the nuclear bomb goes off. The world is destroyed. Everything that ever lived was wiped from existence. I'm not sure that's a triumph.

LMAO I forgot all about that.

Anybody remember when The 4:30 Movie on WABC New York? They did an annual PotA marathon for many years that I always used to watch.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
LMAO I forgot all about that.

Anybody remember when The 4:30 Movie on WABC New York? They did an annual PotA marathon for many years that I always used to watch.

I remember WPIX used to show them late at night. That and Godzilla movies. Loved that stuff.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I remember WPIX used to show them late at night. That and Godzilla movies. Loved that stuff.

Yeah, me too. In some ways my tastes haven't really changed since I was 12. I still love monster movies and comic books - I'm just more selective about what I consider the "good stuff".

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Much spoiler below.

Escape From the PofA:
Zira, Cornelius and Milo escape in Taylor's ship just before the bomb went off. They go back to Taylor's time are both celebrated and feared. They have a child that was secreted away by Armando.

Conquest of the PofA:
Dogs and cats have been wiped out and people adopt apes as pets then servants. Zira and Cornelius child (Caesar) is now and adult and leads the apes in a revolt against the humans.

Battle for the PotA:
Caesar now leads an ape society and strives to unite with the remaining humans. Leads directly to the first movie.

lefty

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, like, how do the apes take over the planet, being apes and all?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their leader is an ape from the future with superior intelligence and the ability to speak. He arms the servant apes, teaches them to fight, then leads them in a revolt.

lefty

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Their leader is an ape from the future with superior intelligence and the ability to speak. He arms the servant apes, teaches them to fight, then leads them in a revolt.

lefty

"THE ONLY GOOD HUMAN IS A DEAD HUMAN!"

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I'm going to pick up the original PotA boxed series. Or get them on Netflix. So awesome.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh hellz yeah! Genetically modified monkeys with bad intentions. I'll watch.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
fistbump.gif
Originally Posted by NorCal
Oh hellz yeah! Genetically modified monkeys with bad intentions. I'll watch.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow.... Hollywood is reaching for ideas these days.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads