• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tumblr_ljlarsf6LM1qaypr9o1_500.jpg
noobizor watanabe

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I think this is a pretty sexist appraisal of the situation and seems pretty inaccurate, or at least based on pretty shaky reasoning :\\ Maybe she just as an aggressive personality? I wonder what the response would be like if it was a man saying these words?

If the interview was with a dude, the dude would be a prick. At least for me it doesn't matter if you have a vag or a dick, if you're a snob, you're a snob.

This is my personal favorite though:

We love our neighborhood and are very excited about the people who live and shop in it. We want to be their menswear store that has real value. I kind of see us as the opposite of Opening Ceremony"”we're much darker and we don't get too poppy. Then again, we don't take ourselves so seriously.
This is fuckin amazing. I just picture all the metal (specifically black metal) purists I know invading the fashion world and bringing their music ideology into clothes.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I think this is a pretty sexist appraisal of the situation and seems pretty inaccurate, or at least based on pretty shaky reasoning :\\ Maybe she just as an aggressive personality? I wonder what the response would be like if it was a man saying these words?
Pretty inaccurate? Did you miss the part about where I've seen it happen in my personal life, as in women have admitted this to me? Calling my observations sexist because they relay real-life occurrences of sexism from both sides doesn't make much sense to me. You can't just deny that women can be sexist. Frankly, I see it happen rather often. I can't tell you how many 'Mom's groups' there are where Moms are welcome to get their kids together to play while they talk about how to raise kids. And there I was as a single father of a young child getting strange looks when I try to participate (after all, Dad's groups don't exist because we're all about football and beer, not kids). I certainly don't condone sexism in any way, but I also won't deny that it occurs on both sides. Equality is a wonderful idea, but I don't think it fully exists in many places. Sheesh, maybe I'm just cynical from living in Utah for so long :p

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I pretty much credit Tyler for creating the blackbird brand.

Oh and stfu already Unc.

Tyler one of the coolest dudes on the planet. We used to carpool to Ballard together

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Pretty inaccurate? Did you miss the part about where I've seen it happen in my personal life, as in women have admitted this to me? Calling my observations sexist because they relay real-life occurrences of sexism from both sides doesn't make much sense to me. You can't just deny that women can be sexist. Frankly, I see it happen rather often. I can't tell you how many 'Mom's groups' there are where Moms are welcome to get their kids together to play while they talk about how to raise kids. And there I was as a single father of a young child getting strange looks when I try to participate (after all, Dad's groups don't exist because we're all about football and beer, not kids). I certainly don't condone sexism in any way, but I also won't deny that it occurs on both sides. Equality is a wonderful idea, but I don't think it fully exists in many places. Sheesh, maybe I'm just cynical from living in Utah for so long :p
Volunteering in a first grade class for two years, it was really funny seeing how single fathers were treated and male volunteers were viewed. When it comes to anything with children, the view on males is pretty ridiculous.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
You can't just deny that women can be sexist. Frankly, I see it happen rather often. I can't tell you how many 'Mom's groups' there are where Moms are welcome to get their kids together to play while they talk about how to raise kids. And there I was as a single father of a young child getting strange looks when I try to participate (after all, Dad's groups don't exist because we're all about football and beer, not kids). I certainly don't condone sexism in any way, but I also won't deny that it occurs on both sides. Equality is a wonderful idea, but I don't think it fully exists in many places. Sheesh, maybe I'm just cynical from living in Utah for so long :p
I agree that this is a ******, terrible situation, but it's also a situation created by the patriarchal shoehorning of women into the primary role of caregiver. Men absolve themselves of responsibility and push it to women, thus creating the beer and football stereotypes, and women will find it weird that a father attends a mom's group because in a patriarchal society, women are the caregivers.
teacha.gif
I'm not saying that sexism against men doesn't exist; just that patriarchy hurts both men and women, and is also perpetuated by both. And yeah, I mean I would understand why a woman would feel resentful in that situation, but your anecdotal experiences don't necessarily translate to this person.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course they don't necessarily translate. Her complaint about it, as well as her hostility to others just reminded me too much of some women I know (one of which to whom I used to be married). I'll certainly agree that with your points about patriarchy (and the just-as-evil matriarchal stereotype
wink.gif
). I'm always so disappointed in most of the guys I know who act like they don't know what to do when their kid needs something.
Originally Posted by g transistor
Volunteering in a first grade class for two years, it was really funny seeing how single fathers were treated and male volunteers were viewed. When it comes to anything with children, the view on males is pretty ridiculous.
Oh, I agree. I just do my best to amaze women with the fact that I care about and can take care of kids
wink.gif
Even some of my daughter's friends' Moms have pretty funny reactions when I tell them that my daughter wants their kid to come over on a play date. And then we make brownies, and the Moms are like 'WTF?" but in a good way.

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Wow, I just took a veritable buttload of photos for my upcoming FS thread (preview: CP training boots, olive, size 45, NIB; CP Italian army mids, white, size 45, used; lots of denim that doesn't fit me). Took freakin' forever. Thinking about the next couple of days - Mountain Goats show tomorrow night, B-more aquarium on Saturday - the first chance I'd have to post is Sunday, and I still have to resize the pictures, write any accompanying text, decide on prices...this had better be worth it.
plain.gif

Good god, go here and get the image resizer, makes it so much easier
teacha.gif
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ads/windows-xp Well I guess that only applies if you're on XP, but if you are, its amazing

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you resize all of them at once on imgur?
I haven't really f'd with it

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Goddam uncontrol turning into xeno.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Yo anyone knows how much those Prada wingtips with the huge cork soles retail for? I found them but I'm in Asia so they're probably too expensive. Actually they don't have my size and I'd need to order otherwise I would have insta-impulse-kopped.

If you know Euro prices that'd be best but American prices are useful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads