• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good "value" dress shoe?

thexfactor

Reaction score
I was wondering what is a good "value" dress shoe? 100$ or so?
I am going to work for an investment bank this summer. This is my first "formal" suit type job.

Thanks

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thexfactor
I was wondering what is a good "value" dress shoe? 100$ or so?
I am going to work for an investment bank this summer. This is my first "formal" suit type job.

Thanks

Gently used ok?

Otherwise Cole Haan aren't too far off that on sale.

thexfactor

Reaction score
How many shoes do you think I should have? Is 50-100 a good price range to start at?
I am thinking about getting a monk style dress shoe. What do you guys think

Also, how many suits should I own?
I dont know how i got my job.. I interviewed with a really ****** black suit.

Sorry for having so many questions.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thexfactor
How many shoes do you think I should have? Is 50-100 a good price range to start at?
I am thinking about getting a monk style dress shoe. What do you guys think

Also, how many suits should I own?
I dont know how i got my job.. I interviewed with a really ****** black suit.

Sorry for having so many questions.

To start you should only be worried about getting a pair of black oxfords and a pair of brown oxfords. Worry about monks and others later.

With suits it's really up to you, but ideally a navy, charcoal, and then a 3rd which can be whatever you like. Light grey, plaid, pinstripes, whatever.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
To start you should only be worried about getting a pair of black oxfords and a pair of brown oxfords. Worry about monks and others later.

With suits it's really up to you, but ideally a navy, charcoal, and then a 3rd which can be whatever you like. Light grey, plaid, pinstripes, whatever.

+1

Black oxfords,
Brown oxfords,
Solid navy suit,
Solid charcoal suit,
handful of white/blue shirts
handful of business appropriate ties...

good to go.

gandhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajmanouk
+1

Black oxfords,
Brown oxfords,
Solid navy suit,
Solid charcoal suit,
handful of white/blue shirts
handful of business appropriate ties...

good to go.

This is the best advice. If you can't afford good shoes (ie Allen Edmonds) then you should get as cheap as possible and put the savings towards buying quality once your paychecks come rolling in.

Dockers Gordon is a decent, comfortable value shoe. Got my pair from Sears for $40 to be a backup to my AE Park Avenues. Read the reviews at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Mens-G.../dp/B002OHE3DC

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
finding a pair of cole haans for less than 100 is fairly easy. i would def go for those if i were you.

JRB

Reaction score
Get some AEs from eBay. Easy for sub $100.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRB
Get some AEs from eBay. Easy for sub $100.

Piggy-backing a question here, since it applies to the OP as well (I imagine):

Is there a good way to gauge one's shoe size (with relative accuracy) before making a purchase online?

Aside from going to a local store and trying on the shoes, of course. I know that is the only way to be certain, but I feel a bit odd about doing that for two reasons: first, trying on clothing with no intention of making a purchase there seems a bit awkward. Second, (and this may be a bit foolish) I don't really have anything to wear to go to a nice store to try on nice clothing. I'd feel like a complete slob walking into a store that sells nice clothing...and this fact only magnifies the first issue I mentioned.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Op--

You've been a member since Feb and you're really asking this question?

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Hi

In my opinion good value in a shoe means something which
  • is comfortable
  • is made of good quality materials
  • is well constructed and can last a long time
  • has a classic design and can therefore be worn for many years without ever looking bad, and which
  • has a good price-(overall) quality-ratio

You will find that if you're getting into the area of good shoes, you have to pay from about 250 to 300 USD upwards. Everything below that usually fails in one or all points above. If you're working in IB then you should dress well (actually, everybody should try to dress well irrespective of their profession - just makes people nicer to look at).

I would therefore invest a little bit more than what you ask and is also suggested above. There are many companies that make very nice shoes in the range from 300 to 500 USD with which you can be happy for decades.

Compromising on ones shoes is seldom (if ever) a good idea.

Cheers
Reto

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Florsheim's aren't terrible for about the $100.

as for suits, I'd say wait until you get to the job. Most jobs these days rarely require them so don't waste money on what you might need when you can spend it on what you will need (shoes).

danskidoo

Reaction score
If you're going to get AE I suggest trying them on and knowing what size you wear in that model then go shopping on ebay or on the B&S. Zappos has AE and free shipping both ways. As long as you don't wear the shoes outside you can return them with no hassle. I went to a local shoe store and tried on lots of shoes and ended up fitting best in a size 8 park avenue but I measured 8.5. You might think about finding a very used pair of shoes cheap and having them reconditioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads