• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Today: blue suit, blue shirt, yellow tie, white square. Looks fine to me. I think a silk square would have looked off.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White linen is the only ps I'll wear, and I always wear one.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
OK so I misunderstood your point. I thought that you meant that all outfits would look good with a white square. If you're saying that white is better than none, I'm 100% with you.

They probably would. Not to say "best." I think in many cases something else is better than white. But white is always better than nothing and never bad.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SC is probably too casual for conservative business dress but alas.

IMG-20110414-000021.jpg

IMG-20110414-00003.jpg

Diavolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's where Naples and Trad connect.

It might be popular in Naples but I still think those clumpy over-brogued Tricker-style country shoes look jarring with a tailored conservative business dress outfit. My suits and jackets are all from Naples but not everything worn in that city automatically works brilliantly.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably would.
Well then we disagree again. I think they can look odd if the rest of the outfit's formality level is disconnected. In particular, I would never wear a white square with a sport coat. A little like you refusing to wear oxford shoes or spread collar shirts with a sport coat.

CaymanS

Reaction score
@ Eustace and Manton, thanks for the differing opinions; obviously shows that the SF groupthink debate isn't settled on the issue of light brown with dark greys.

As for the last, it is indeed a bit pointy, but the shoes are to my taste and quite comfortable. The antiquing is also a bit crazy, but, again, this just adds a bit of character which I quite like. To each his own, I suppose.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
As for the last, it is indeed a bit pointy, but the shoes are to my taste and quite comfortable. The antiquing is also a bit crazy, but, again, this just adds a bit of character which I quite like. To each his own, I suppose.

that is fine, obviously we all have different taste and many times we try an impose that on others but I think given the point of this thread, your outfit was really no where in the ballpark of what is supposed to be posted here. Same thing with the Eustace outfit a few posts above

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The antiquing is also a bit crazy, but, again, this just adds a bit of character which I quite like. To each his own, I suppose.

FWIW, I don't really mind the antiquing - I know a lot of the Italian makes do it, and I think it (mostly) looks nice.

Requiem

Reaction score
I never wear silk squares and this shoes to court, but when spending the entire day in office I think it's fine.

029-1.jpg
031.jpg

ctp120

Reaction score
They probably would. Not to say "best." I think in many cases something else is better than white. But white is always better than nothing and never bad.

+1

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
that is fine, obviously we all have different taste and many times we try an impose that on others but I think given the point of this thread, your outfit was really no where in the ballpark of what is supposed to be posted here. Same thing with the Eustace outfit a few posts above

Thanks, Ed, but I disagree. The fact that my collar is slightly more spread than your average cutaway, and the fact that my last is a little more pointy, does not take a grey wool suit, white shirt, and blue tie out of the "ballpark" of conservative business dress. For instance, we've already decided that this thread is not limited to "American conservative business dress", but extends to Europe. In London, my white shirt with cutaway collar would be considered protypic conservative business dress. So I guess that leaves us with the shoes and, to be frank, I've seen far worse/more experimental in this thread.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Thanks, Ed, but I disagree. The fact that my collar is slightly more spread than your average cutaway, and the fact that my last is a little more pointy, does not take a grey wool suit, white shirt, and blue tie out of the "ballpark" of conservative business dress. For instance, we've already decided that this thread is not limited to "American conservative business dress", but extends to Europe. In London, my white shirt with cutaway collar would be considered protypic conservative business dress. So I guess that leaves us with the shoes and, to be frank, I've seen far worse/more experimental in this thread.

I'm with ed, not conservative business dress, not TITFDYB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads