• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beginner needs a new look

bowlie

Reaction score
hi guys. i need a new look but im not sure how to balance it. im moving to manchester to go to uni soon and im very outgoing. i do boxing and mma and im always at the gym, so i dont feel right in alot of feminine fashion. im not sure what everyone else will be wearing there but i dont want to alienate myself from 'the lads'.

obviously as a teenager im interested in fashion from a point of attracting women, but i dont want to isolate myself from my peers but dressing eccentrically. how can i balance fashion with masculinity and wanting to fit in?

im trying to find a style that fits but i cant. most stuff looks like it should be worn in paris by 30y/o artists. could someone post a few names / pictures of common styles that i could go for? thanks

edit: i asked in the sticky and got no answer

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I'm in a good mood, so I'll help you (and then probably just repost this the next time someone comes knockin'). In the future, use the search function and the stickied threads. Do this instead of replying to any of these posts. i'm going to assume that the real goal here is to look good for the ladies, so... College wear for fun and profit: Your **** is going to get messy. Beer is going to get spilled all over everything you own. More than likely, you will sleep in the mud/bushes while wearing most of this stuff. Girls will rub themselves on your pants, which is great, but unhygienic. First, get rid of your graphic tees. If you want to wear t shirts, and who doesn't, just get some blanks from hanes/american apparel that fit well in the shoulders. Next, buy a pair of jeans. Everyone here will tell you to buy raws, and they are right. Don't ask what kind. You're getting away with this much, so you can do some forum research next. I will tell you that if you wait, jeans are cheap. Buy jeans that fit you. Buy a pair of boots that are not desert boots. desert boots are boring and girls don't give a **** that they're based on imperialist ******-wear. Buy something with a slight heel. Do some research/read up on what you like. Do not wear adidas all-stars with gelly stripes. Do not wear cargo shorts. Do not wear cargo shorts with your adidas all-stars. Chucks are whatever, but be warned that they will not get you any female attention. do not ******* EVER wear your running shoes unless you're working out, I don't care what you think you know. Buy slim button downs on the cheap. take j crew button downs to the tailor, whatever. not everything has to be skin tight, but if you want to look like you take care of yourself, a good start is to buy clothes that fit you. don't save up and buy **** that you'll regret buying. take advantage of fast fashion. Look at WAYWT. Most people are not spending a lot of money on anything. Emulate them. finally, clothes are not going to make you look better/more classy/ more cultured. If you are a slob, cookie-cutter clothing is not going to fix anything. If you are interested in looking like a mature human, or even an immature but stylish one, don't go throwing your money around. Especially not during college. spend that **** on drugs and alcohol and parties. and some boots. mostly, go do some ******* research
And by do some ******* research he means "ask questions in the stickies and not in new threads."

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's quite a feat of puppetry, but a simple cut'n'paste job probably won't do it. Peer group is key, here. Synthese is an effeminate Colorado twenty-something; OP is a martial artist who says 'uni'. Disaster awaits.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowlie
hi guys. i need a new look but im not sure how to balance it. im moving to manchester to go to uni soon and im very outgoing. i do boxing and mma and im always at the gym, so i dont feel right in alot of feminine fashion. im not sure what everyone else will be wearing there but i dont want to alienate myself from 'the lads'.

obviously as a teenager im interested in fashion from a point of attracting women, but i dont want to isolate myself from my peers but dressing eccentrically. how can i balance fashion with masculinity and wanting to fit in?

im trying to find a style that fits but i cant. most stuff looks like it should be worn in paris by 30y/o artists. could someone post a few names / pictures of common styles that i could go for? thanks

What does "i dont feel right in alot of feminine fashion" mean?

bowlie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
What does "i dont feel right in alot of feminine fashion" mean?

i meen that it dosnt transmit the image i want to give off. im not sure what look i want to go for but i want to stear clear of the 'nice guy' look (chino shorts) and the hard guy look (affliction shirts and shaved head).

drum

Reaction score
I've found that in the UK, for the vast majority of people, putting any effort into your appearance is seen as feminine/homosexual. Which results in a lot of people wearing oversized soccer t-shirts and baggy sweat pants. Expect some ribbing if you deviate from the norm.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bowlie:

For your inqury, I will suggest anything will work as long as they are in good size. For summer you can choose a to wear a oxford ****, untug for the yonug look, along with causal chinos from either gap or Uniqlo. For colder days or rainy days, wear a leather jacket, scarf, t-shirt and jumper, finish with jeans. Boots is very popular in Uk and they will get you anywhere.

At the end of the day, the english uni girls doesn't care how man properly dress, as long as they look decent....... I never thought dress nicer will increase oppotunity to meet/get girls. To dress nice is a personal taste, and your personal judgement, if things look nice on you then most of the time it is a good outfit.

P.S I do think most girls base their first impression on body shapes, not on clothes, and in your case, as you are builded you will do fine. I do think some British girls dress very badly, such as sizing down their clothes so badly that squeeze out the fat on their back. You will see, but bear in mind don't dress like Jack Will or A&F. Most people either guy or girl dont dress like that, expecially in Manchester.....

bowlie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by add911_11
Bowlie:

For your inqury, I will suggest anything will work as long as they are in good size. For summer you can choose a to wear a oxford ****, untug for the yonug look, along with causal chinos from either gap or Uniqlo. For colder days or rainy days, wear a leather jacket, scarf, t-shirt and jumper, finish with jeans. Boots is very popular in Uk and they will get you anywhere.

At the end of the day, the english uni girls doesn't care how man properly dress, as long as they look decent....... I never thought dress nicer will increase oppotunity to meet/get girls. To dress nice is a personal taste, and your personal judgement, if things look nice on you then most of the time it is a good outfit.

P.S I do think most girls base their first impression on body shapes, not on clothes, and in your case, as you are builded you will do fine. I do think some British girls dress very badly, such as sizing down their clothes so badly that squeeze out the fat on their back. You will see, but bear in mind don't dress like Jack Will or A&F. Most people either guy or girl dont dress like that, expecially in Manchester.....

thanks for the advice. im not too keen on chinos, not sure why... but the shirts look good. im sure being well dressed will impress women, and im not planning to just limit myself to uni girls. but like other people have said most people here dresses quite badly. thats why it would be strange to wear alot of the fasion here. im trying to find a way to dress well and express my personality without sticking out too much. id rather be the best dressed of the people in ym social group with a slightly unique set of show pieces. i guess i have to wait till im there and see what others are wearing.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The copy paste above fits your criteria perfectly. Just do that. Seriously

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess i have to wait till im there and see what others are wearing.
This is right, I wouldn't sweat it too much, take what you already have, pick up what else you need as you go. The Synthese advice posted is pretty much on the money also. You will find at Uni you can wear pretty much whatever you want and still get along with pretty much everyone if you have the right attitude (and I mean anything - from tracksuits and footie gear to urban-ninja-wizard to tweed and a monocle). You will find certain sets of people dress in certain ways, but you only have to play into that as much as you want. As a student you will find you spend a fair bit of time walking around, often in ****** weather, and you will end up going straight from lectures to the pub, so a warm/water resistant coat you feel comfortable doing either in is a good idea, ditto footwear. I wore leather boots mostly, but depending on how you dress the right pair of trainers would work. For a coat you could do worse than a dark coloured quilted jacket (barbour or similar), they are fairly ubiquitous at the moment on everyone from guys dressed in hip-hop gear to people looking like they are off to play polo. The right one could work with jeans and a t-shirt, or over smarter trousers and a shirt. Beyond that, as I said above, take what you have got and get stuff as and when you need it.

bowlie

Reaction score
cheers guys. maybe i worded it wrong, i acturaly am quite enjoying this style stuff, but i want to choose a style that will help attract girls without driving away other guys. i realy like this sort of style
33vzurd.jpg
but im not sure if it is too boring / depressing / grey or if it sends out the wrong image. it dosnt seem too overpowering though so i should be able to get away with it right??

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheers guys. maybe i worded it wrong, i acturaly am quite enjoying this style stuff, but i want to choose a style that will help attract girls without driving away other guys. i realy like this sort of style
33vzurd.jpg

but im not sure if it is too boring / depressing / grey or if it sends out the wrong image. it dosnt seem too overpowering though so i should be able to get away with it right??

This style will have the opposite effect. Driving away the girls and attract many many gheys.

bowlie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
This style will have the opposite effect. Driving away the girls and attract many many gheys.

fair enough, like i said im just tossing a few ideas around and i need a bit (well alot aparently) of direction. Synthese's advice hasnt fallen on deaf ears, it seems prety good. im not 100% on the boots as they might look gay, but i will have a look around

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fair enough, like i said im just tossing a few ideas around and i need a bit (well alot aparently) of direction. Synthese's advice hasnt fallen on deaf ears, it seems prety good. im not 100% on the boots as they might look gay, but i will have a look around

???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads