• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes recomendations ...

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sstomcat
anyone tried Tricker, Loake, Barker how are they?
I started venturing (from AE) into English made with a pair Loake 1880 (Hilton) and Cheaney (Grassmere) both from Herrings shoes...Both IMO are a little higher in quality vs. AE.

ktrp

Reaction score
I have a pair of Loake for Herring and a pair of Barker for Herring.

Both are size 10, I wear an 11 in AE for references. Fit was good.

I would have said the Loake quality was slightly sub AE, but I was pleased with them for the money. The Barker were a little nicer, and a little more expensive.

I'm trying to rapidly build to a 5 shoe rotation + 2/3 boots with synthetic soles for inclement weather, so I'm trawling the lower echelon of the U.K shoe world (plus AE).

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Guys- I would like to confirm the sizes bfore I order over the net from UK. I have looked and see different size conversions and understand that it depends on the model and brand.
I wear a regular 11.5 D so for c&J should I go for 10.5E or 11E, I read in the forum that AS runs a little short so should I go for 11E?
I will be ordering lace up shoes no loafers
Many thanks to all for putting up with my questions.

You really want to try these on and buy them at a shop. But if you want to guess then your 11.5 D would be like a C&J 11 G if the model you want even comes in that width. Almost all C&J shoes are an E width (a US C) which is why people go for a full size difference between Eng and US shoes. It's not the length because there's only 1/2 size diff. but the width.I'm a 11.5 B (US) and the C&J 11 E fits perfectly so that E is like a US C.

Ducksworth

Reaction score
I notice that everyone is talking about having a budget, and everyone seems to recommend Allen Edmond pretty religiously. But how do you know how to go about setting a budget? I haven't been in this game long enough to understand how long these shoes last, what I should be spending on them, etc. $200 for shoes seems really high end to me, especially if you are replacing them regularly.

Right now I've got some Kenneth Coles on that are on their way out, looking to get into some new shoes but I don't understand what I'll have to spend.

antsshoes

Reaction score
Many factors determine how long your shoes last you. A decent pair of shoes (I consider AEs pretty decent) should last you for many years if cared for properly. This means polishing them regularly, letting them rest / dry between wearings, using shoe trees and shoe horns, and so on. When compared to how quickly cheap shoes wear out, I think one is better off spending a few more dollars. Not to mention the difference in aestetics and comfort.

Keysh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Asquith
You really want to try these on and buy them at a shop. But if you want to guess then your 11.5 D would be like a C&J 11 G if the model you want even comes in that width. Almost all C&J shoes are an E width (a US C) which is why people go for a full size difference between Eng and US shoes. It's not the length because there's only 1/2 size diff. but the width.I'm a 11.5 B (US) and the C&J 11 E fits perfectly so that E is like a US C.

Fascinating... everything else I've read suggests that C&J "E" is simply their designation for "medium width", and thus roughly equivalent to other English shoemakers' "F" and American "D". I've never worn C&J shoes, so I can't offer any personal evaluation, but the vast majority of shoes in their catalog are either "E" only or "E" + something else, which would be odd if that really was a narrower-than-normal size.

Logically, US 11.5D would be 10.5 or 11E in C&J sizing (depending on whether one believes the size offset to be 1/2 or 1).

(Of course, "you really want to try these on" is obviously excellent advice!)

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused, the place I live has no place in the near vicinity to really try them on. So the option I have is to take some amount of risk and order over the net. I also wear 12D in AE and their clifton model fits me fine. The Aldens 12D seems a tad loose. So I'm thinking to be on the safe side I will order a 11.5 E, please advise?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused, the place I live has no place in the near vicinity to really try them on.

I would go a full size down. I only have one pair, on the 337 last.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a Peal and Co from Brooks in brown pebble grain beautiful. My first British shoe and I think I'm hooked from now on. The fit finish is top notch and definitely a notch above AE.
Any idea who makes these shoes for Brooks?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General consensus is 2 rows of nails on heel=AS, one row equals C&J.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
General consensus is 2 rows of nails on heel=AS, one row equals C&J.

Thank you mine has one set so I will go with consensus..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads