• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Overload?

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butler
Realizing that just a hand full of members are in a position to offer valid inputs to this thread, I still would like to hear if you recognize this dilemma:

With a wardrobe consisting of 50+ or probably say 100+ bespoke garments (not talking about shirts), from any of the top 10-15 tailors in the world (and no, I'm not going into that discussion:), how do you handle the question of rotation?

Even if we change twice a day, or 3 times if one change for dinner, each item will only be worn a few times a year.

If you have a Butler or Valet, it will be his responsibility to seek rotation when laying out the clothes for his employer (much easier with shoes, of course).

Even under those circumstances, the employer (or his better half!) will often request some of his favourite outfits to be prepared.

And this is just the point; in my experience you will often reach a point when commissioning bespoke clothes, where a lot of it will never or very rarely be worn, because you tend to favour some items more than others!

As Vox has stated: "It is not a question whether one needs it, but that you want it" - but nevertheless, do we have a case of:

Bespoke overload?

Besides the fact that it sounds like you're starting this thread to just blow yourself - your dilemma has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you have too many bespoke items.

If I goto Walmart and buy 100+ different colored Hanes T-shirts along with 50+ matching pairs of $10 jeans I would have the exact same problem as what you have. In fact, I'd say every single member on this board has the same issue where they favor certain pieces of clothing over others.

The whole point of having a lot of suits, slacks, ties, shoes in a rotation is so that they all last longer. If you truly favor some suits over others then you should just "commission" the same 3 suits you like to wear and have them copied into 100.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Butler, you are a man of style and taste, If you are having trouble coming up with excuses to commission yet more beautiful garments, please feel free to have them made for me! Failing this wonderful plan, I would quite happily accept the donation of anything you feel goes unworn to often, therefore clearing space in your creaking wardrobe(s)!
-TTO
(In envy your problem0

miketoc

Reaction score
You don't throw your bespokes out after a single wear? gross
sarcasm.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miketoc
You don't throw your bespokes out after a single wear? gross
sarcasm.gif

I only throw out the shoes after a single wear. I hate when the bottoms get scratched.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(see below)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You guys laugh, but the OP's situation is not unlike the norm on SF: too much collecting, not enough refinement and focus. That his clothes are bespoke is really neither here nor there.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And this is just the point; in my experience you will often reach a point when commissioning bespoke clothes, where a lot of it will never or very rarely be worn, because you tend to favour some items more than others!
Some have surely reached that point. In my wardrobe there are indeed suits and odd coats that have never been -- and perhaps never will be -- worn. Bespoke or off-the-rack it matters not.

As Vox has stated: "It is not a question whether one needs it, but that you want it" - but nevertheless, do we have a case of:

Bespoke overload?

The fun -- for me at least -- is commissioning the garment and seeing it progress though the various fittings. At that point, wearing it can be rather anticlimactic.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You guys laugh, but the OP's situation is not unlike the norm on SF: too much collecting, not enough refinement and focus. That his clothes are bespoke is really neither here nor there.

+1

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This reminds me of an anecdote in the excellent biography of Yul Brynner who at the height of his fame had a mobile wardrobe of eighty six pairs of black trousers which travelled with him wherever he went.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ This. In my first year here I amassed a pretty sizeable wardrobe, as the SF mantra is that you need to have a ****-ton of clothing. I would typically go one month without repeating a jacket or suit. But I would greatly anticipate those days when something I was wild about came into rotation. That's ridiculous. Variety is overrated, why not wear the heck out of things you enjoy the most. In the last 18 months I haven't bought a single jacket or suit, and actually reduced my wardrobe by about 50-60% (Houston folks, there are some good finds at Goodwill LOL). Here's what I'm left with, and honestly I still wear the same 6-7 jackets/suits (my favorites) about 80% of the time. Doesn't make for the best WAYWRN fodder, but makes for much better enjoyment of my wardrobe.

5590828267_20aa206514.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the issue people are having is not that he has too much clothes (as you mention, a sin of many here on SF) but rather that he is making it about bespoke clothes ("from the best artisans"). Whether the clothing is bespoke or Wal Mart, refinement and focus is more important than accumulation, as you mention. I just think that the OP came off as a bit of a braggard, willfully or not, by dismissing the same situation of the items are not bespoke.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys laugh, but the OP's situation is not unlike the norm on SF: too much collecting, not enough refinement and focus.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by alphaO888
If I goto Walmart and buy 100+ different colored Hanes T-shirts along with 50+ matching pairs of $10 jeans I would have the exact same problem as what you have.
Absolutely. Moreover, you'd have enough cash left over to buy a small vacation house.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a good thread a while back about whether one is better dressed with a minimalist wardrobe than with a collectionist wardrobe.

What I took from that was the idea of a critical mass wardrobe, above which one can improve by culling.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
^ This. In my first year here I amassed a pretty sizeable wardrobe, as the SF mantra is that you need to have a ****-ton of clothing. I would typically go one month without repeating a jacket or suit. But I would greatly anticipate those days when something I was wild about came into rotation. That's ridiculous. Variety is overrated, why not wear the heck out of things you enjoy the most. In the last 18 months I haven't bought a single jacket or suit, and actually reduced my wardrobe by about 50-60% (Houston folks, there are some good finds at Goodwill LOL). Here's what I'm left with, and honestly I still wear the same 6-7 jackets/suits (my favorites) about 80% of the time. Doesn't make for the best WAYWRN fodder, but makes for much better enjoyment of my wardrobe.

5590828267_20aa206514.jpg

TC I hereby demand that before you send a single item more to goodwill that you PM me first. I can collect in person!

p.s. Which goodwill do you use? I'm always on the lookout for a bargain plus I have some stuff I'd like to sell too!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Clothing should look worn, and lived in no matter the price... something that you actually wore and moved in, and pulled your pants down while deucing, and accidentally sprayed champagne on, and had cleaned because of some lipstick friendly fire on the collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads