• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the point of a cotton jacket or suit?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to wear cotton suits when traveling for business in the South in the 80's. They just looked right. You looked like you were making an effort to fit in and not trying to be a City Slicker from New York City in the navy pinstripe.

These days I like cotton for the same reason as Parker, it has a casual vibe. Similar to linen. In this day and age of casual dress cotton or linen make smart, choices for jackets except in very traditional, dressy settings. I wa sjust looking at an off white/cream/light beige suit yesterday (cotton). I could mix and match the pants and jackets with polo shirts, jeans or dress it up with a crisp blue shirt and tie.

emptym

Reaction score
^1 to your second paragraph, G.

I have a thrifted Gant cotton sportcoat and a linen suit from a tailor in Manila. Both are fused and washable. I think you'd be able to get something similar made, Kent. Just ask them to wash and dry all the material first.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
What about cotton corduroy?
Oh yeah, those are fine too, as is velvet. Both (and seersucker) have their own textures that are quite interesting and have their uses. Plain cotton twill just seems really flat.

IronRock

Reaction score
A cotton suit from that website of that dude who loves himself:

5618237989_4d2282d817.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Oh yeah, those are fine too, as is velvet. .

I was just thinking about having a brown velvet jacket made for next fall/winter. I saw a guy wear one about 4 years ago over several days on a business trip with jeans, grey flannels, solid white & blue shirts and it was a understated dressy look. Brown doesn't scream "velvet" yet looks soft and appealing.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Wearing a khaki cotton suit to a beach wedding this weekend. It was a surprise gift from my girlfriend, so I haven't worn it out yet. It's from J. Crew's Ludlow line. J. Crew's slimt stuff is pretty much thing that fits me off the rack. Pants are a little tight in the thigh, but otherwise good.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it I wore a navy cotton/linen suit for my daughters beach wedding (May, Mexico..hot and humid)

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it would seem that cotton is appropriate for warm summer weather?

AE7

Reaction score
I cant find love in my heart for 100% cotton SC's. All the ones I had gave me a feeling of stiffness and constrain. Plus a bit too hot for warmer days.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
So it would seem that cotton is appropriate for warm summer weather?

well IIRC cotton doesn't breathe as well as light wool or linen, so I don't know boutt hta.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I was just thinking about having a brown velvet jacket made for next fall/winter. I saw a guy wear one about 4 years ago over several days on a business trip with jeans, grey flannels, solid white & blue shirts and it was a understated dressy look. Brown doesn't scream "velvet" yet looks soft and appealing.
I agree.
DSC06756.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both acridsheep and that New York guy's photos make the suit look rather like worsted wool, if only slightly more wrinkled and stiff. I would just prefer worsted in each of these cases. Or maybe this is just the case in photos and the difference is greater in real life. I have a cotton sportcoat from Banana Republic:
581242011_fdb77b8e12.jpg
I dislike the feel of it. Maybe I can try washing it and if it holds up to that I can wear it to occasions when I might soil my jacket, like an all you can eat, all you can drink Indian buffet.
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Even looking at emptym's photo, I remain skeptical of this. It looks very velvety to me, which has its place, but I wouldn't wear it on a business trip. But I'll tell you what's great about for business trips: linen. You can let it wrinkle in your suitcase and not worry about it, because linen always looks wrinkled anyway.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i'd never buy a cotton suit in a dark color - would much rather wear something in tropical wool - really, more comfortable. however, i do have a couple in light colors (a lightish blue-grey, and a creamy khaki) and they're great for garden parties.

that's about the only time i trot them out.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Cotton trousers you can wash, so they make sense. But a cotton jacket can't be washed, doesn't keep you as cool as lightweight wool, and doesn't have texture like linen. What is the point?

Other than seersucker of course, which 1) is traditional and 2) its texture is functional in keeping you cool.

You can't wash wool trousers, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads