• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A "Thread Closet" suggestion for the SF mods.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dig's Edit /Part 2: This thread is now abandoned. All of the hard to read links below have been reorganized in the thread titled: An unpinned thread: Digmenow's journey toward sartorial self improvement.

Click on the link above to bypass all of the mess you will find below.

Dig's Edit: I now recognize that the likelihood of what I suggested in this thread will not come to pass. I am, however, continuing to build my own database of threads that I'd like quick access to without having to remember a specific word so that the VB search engine will reward me with the particular thread I happen to be seeking. Participation in the above poll is no longer necessary but please feel free. Also, if anyone thinks of a useful thread, drop a link at the bottom of this thread and I'll patch it in. Thanks! I don't want to step on any toes here but... I moderate an automotive site that caters to Mercedes-Benz owners and one of my specific responsibilities is the 107 model, comprising the various iterations of the SL class from 1974 to 1989. In an effort to avoid losing many good threads to the ethernet of getting pushed ever farther from the first page, we solicited requests for threads of great and legendary interest to us but a bit too specific to be pinned (called "stickied" over there). We created two threads (one initially but two made more sense for our purposes) controlled by the mods which became a storage site to house these worthy threads. They are easy references to threads which make good reading for new members as well as helping to avoid the hassle of trying to find "that" particular thread you want without sifting through 100 more that the search function returns. Also, it allows the current pinned threads to stay at the top of the page without adding a great deal more as we clamor for ever more accessibility. It was quite popular with the membership once it was up and running. Noobs love it since the "best of the best" are all located in one place and can burn an entire rainy weekend, reading the good stuff. Don't forget that once a linked thread has been clicked on, there are suggestions for similar threads at the bottom of the page so other threads that aren't included here get an honorable mention! It would only add one "pinned" thread to the top and possibly even reduce the current number of pinned threads by storing some of them for easy access. Not all, obviously. The big boys deserve their own pin. Here's our introductory "welcome desk" thread with some fluffier content. Welcome To "This Damned Old Car" And here's the technical stuff. The Encyclopaedia Germanica Volume 107 (aka EGv107) Understand, this is not a troll to siphon off membership. That's why I chose this specific model forum as my example. Below is an example of how it could be set up. The thread stays locked and is maintained by the overworked and underpaid (read: unpaid) moderators of SF. Of course, there would be many more headings. I always include the thread poster's name to help when the thread titles are similar. I'm sure there are a dozen more headings that I've forgotten but you get the point.

Encyclopaedia Thread / Forum Armarium encyclopedia Welcome! A Beginner's Guide to MC. Look here once before posting. by pvrhye Ties Basic Tie Questions by BBdude Working List of Mid and High Range Tie Makers/Labels by jrd617 Culling neckties (New ties added) by Threadbearer Soporific Tie Appreciation by Manton Help me round out my tie wardrobe. by Threadbearer esp. Post 9 by edmorel Shirts The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts by imageWIS Folded Up Shirt Appreciation by Manton Cuff Appreciation by mafoofan Suits/Tailoring Balance Explained by a tailor www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread by moderntailoremma The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors by tgfny DB jacket proportions - lapel width & button position by aj_del (featuring the mafoofan/apropos discussion) Indochino suits? by crease HOF: How to measure for ebay by A Harris The alteration cost thread by LooknGr8 The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!) by Cognacad Baltimore area tailor by JohnGalt for Dig's use. Fits (Official?) Fit Critique Thread by Edgar Allan Pwn The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors by tgfny conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment by Manton HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II by LabelKing HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III by Mr.K Footwear Shoes Explained by A Harris Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread by Mild Mannered Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoo Appreciation Theard by luk-cha RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know by Sator suede shoes - post 'em here! by srivats Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I by von Rothbart Shoe Damage Report & Shoe Appreciation Central - Part II by Oyaji Unusually colored shoelaces by SpooPoker Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos by pocketsquareguy Wearing white trousers - white socks? by BareSolid Formal Wear Quarter-lined Dinner Jacket: a Stroke of Stupidity or Genius? by mafoofan Accessories Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....by pocketsquareguy Men's Scarves, Ascots & Neckerchiefs - photos, discussion, inspiration by pocketsquareguy Kent Wang pocket squares, cuff links, ties, shirts, and more - Affiliate thread by Kent Wang Lapel flower (boutonniere) by Kent Wang Cuff Link Damage by California Dreamer The Watch P0rn Thread by gdl203 Poor man's watch thread by SirGrotius The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread by DocHolliday Briefcase Appreciation thread by zjpj83 Cloth Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread by Manton Denim 101 for Men's Clothing by kaxixi Color In Praise of Navy by Parker In Praise of Gray by niidawg3 In Praise of Brown by TRINI Sartorialism Recent Sartorialist Looks by TRINI Recent non-Sartorialist Looks by aj_del Creepy Sartorial Images by mafoofan Maintenance **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** by Mr. Moo shoe care supply checklist by aybojs Where to Buy The official thrift/discount store bragging thread by j Crane's Country Store - affiliate thread by LA Guy Buying and Selling Recent Purchases by A Harris FS: Attolini pink cashmere unlined tie by Connemara Loose Threads! Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links by j Get Foofed by mafoofan Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer by gdl203 Most Ridiculous Nit Ever Picked On Style Forum by Manton (Reef knot vs. Granny knot on footwear) The Mr. Sam Gallery of Snarky Masterpieces Thread by voxsartoria Mafoofan buys a wallet at Hermes: Green cows hold their breasts by mafoofan Links to off-StyleForum sites and blogs ASK ANDY ABOUT CLOTHES "Clothes and the Man" by Alan Flusser A Suitable Wardrobe: Will's thoughts on dressing with style. The Black Tie Guide: A Gentleman's Guide to Evening Wear fit is king <~~ Use this link when searching for something on Buy and Sell or double dumbass on you! Nominate a thread This would contain a link to a separate open thread where members could place requests for thread inclusion. Lastly, some mod stuff. There is a character limit that posts in a thread such as I am suggesting will run up against as ever more threads are added so it can be chopped up into logical, individual posts within the thread. For example, all the ""Official Vendor" threads are located in the first post, the "Fit" threads are located in post #2 and so on. That's it. Feel free to comment or say
ffffuuuu.gif

Last edited:

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it creates even more work for the overworked, underpaid Mods.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More about this, with an answer from j

Originally Posted by NOBD
To give you an idea"”this is what the Dutch forum looks like (not meant to present as a model
for this forum, but perhaps as an inspiration). The bold titles are (sub)forums.

General

For New Members (Introduce yourself, Where can I ask my question?, Abbreviations, etc.)​

Comments/Proposals (about the forum itself, moderating etc.)​

B&S

Actions (forum actions related to clothing)​

Classic Menswear (basically MC; there's no SW&D)

Suits

Shirts

Shoes

Casual

Coats

Misc

Accessories

Bespoke clothing

Offtopic (non-clothing topics)

References

Address Book (addresses from stores, tailors etc.)​

Books, Magazines and Websites

Repairs, Cleaning and Maintenance

(www.stijlforum.nl)

Originally Posted by j
Everyone else, I think we are pretty sure about not further fragmenting the MC forum. Maybe a getting started section (or at least thread) to contain noob questions along with megathread-ing the repetitive topics would be a good place to start. I personally think lots of subforums leads more to poster confusion and extra work for moderators, not to mention a loss of the overall community feel. I know I can't stand forums that are overly ghettoized into small subsections that generally get much less traffic. Answers are harder to come by and I rarely end up hanging out and learning anything about other aspects of the broader topic.

I see what you mean; hadn't thought about it like that. I do think a more rigid structure works for newcomers; the categories lead them to where they should get their information, ask a question or post their comment. The members who've been around longer simply use the 'New posts' button and see all the new posts and threads anyway, regardless of the subforum. But maybe that doesn't work on this forum.

It would be great though, to see fewer new threads about the exact same topic every day (sometimes hour) over and over and over, like every individual tiny little question needs its own special thread. It's sometimes like this forum starts all over every day (Groundhog Day style) and that there's no history/continuity at all.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Yes, but it creates even more work for the overworked, underpaid Mods.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
patch[1].gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More about this, with an answer from j
I'm not suggesting a further forum fragmentation. Just a nicely organized closet within the room that is MC.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
I'm not suggesting a further forum fragmentation. Just a nicely organized closet within the room that is MC.

Ah, I'm sorry. I was...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just want to say - - Im sure that post took forever to put together, so kudos to you for caring, and for putting together a great pitch! Well thought out, and its awesome you care about SF so much so early in your posting career here. - I used to be a member of Benzworld.org
fistbump.gif
Great site!

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I just want to say -

- Im sure that post took forever to put together, so kudos to you for caring, and for putting together a great pitch! Well thought out, and its awesome you care about SF so much so early in your posting career here.

- I used to be a member of Benzworld.org
fistbump.gif
Great site!

...and now you're looking for appropriate Ferrari forum sites?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I just want to say - - Im sure that post took forever to put together, so kudos to you for caring, and for putting together a great pitch! Well thought out, and its awesome you care about SF so much so early in your posting career here. - I used to be a member of Benzworld.org
fistbump.gif
Great site!

Thanks! The tepid reception, however, seems to indicate that I may be tilting at windmills but that's just how I rollz. As for time spent, I got so much practice doing it at BW, it now takes almost no time at all.
Originally Posted by Lonneker
A bit Manton heavy, if you ask me.
I was going for the higher reply threads that fit into the various categories. I would have included SpooPoker but other than his Friday Challenge threads, I could only find the thread that I linked below. The Club Scene My "Go to" move by SpooPoker.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SpooPoker.............................................. Fav Clubbing moves. Internet Bigtimer
Join Date: Oct 2009 Location:  Posts: 29,379 .................................... Irresistible? ....................................
clown.gif
^^^ This

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads