• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hages

Reaction score
I must have missed that MEMO!
uhoh.gif

Actually it can be buttoned the other way around. Overall, does the jacket still have a feminine cut?

Worryingly, it fits me quite well(i.e. its not puffy in the chest area).
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BBC
^^ Isn't that a woman's jacket? It appears to button on the left.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bartlebooth;4353767 said:
That's a little more hardcore than I can handle. I'll take the occasional stumble-onto-a-great-suit approach over the check-it-five-times-a-day. Like I said, the VNGW is just too picked over.

Speaking of watching Cops, though: my favorite of the regular crazies is the tiny asian guy who's always squatting in the aisle between the pants and the SS shirts, ripping tags and changing clothes, like he's not out in the wide open. You'd think he'd be quicker, with so much practice, but he takes SO LONG to change shirts that he always gets caught.

And did I mention how much I hate you, Frenchy? Really, who the
ffffuuuu.gif
gets two Paul Smith PSs magically slipped into his bag!?[/
QUOTE]

im still trying to figure that one out

crazyrabbits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Damn, congrats on finding a jacket with a trim waist. Shiz is RARE in these parts. Also, what's the exact deal with Ben Sherman shirts these days? The ones I find (especially the 'vintage' cuts) are pretty interesting, and the buttons are always a unique color that enhances the shirt. I remember GQ used to talk the brand up a lot when I was a kid; though now, in the UK, they seem to carry some sort of a classist 'chav' association. Are they still considered good quality?
I actually bought a BS the other day from a second-hand shop in my neighbourhood. It has black and pink stripes (vintage cut) and has barrel cuffs with Union Jack buttons. It's quite funky. I figured for $10, I could go for it. Good quality and a decent fit.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Funny thing is the stores by me over price alot of the macys CRAP like lauren by ralph lauren shirts for like 12 dollars, but i bought a stefano ricci shirt for 1/3 that lol!
There's a reason for that. Fortunately for us.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like buying really nice Robert Graham shirts for under $10.
YES! +1
tounge.gif

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Vestimenta? I bought a pair of summer khakis today
that are lined and seem as nice as Incotex. Vestimenta, made in Italy.

Never had heard of them but got 'em for under six bucks.

Navi

Reaction score
Did i **** up by losing this? I felt it was a bit too old man-ish so I left it, then changed my mind and when I got back it was gone... ****!

picsay-1302719205.jpg

IMG_20110413_135542.jpg

IMG_20110413_135610.jpg

It was a light brown herringbone.
frown.gif

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
Here's a question from left field: Anyone know of any good thrift stores in Dubai?

In regard to my post a couple of weeks ago, Dubai was amazing, but I didn't have the opportunity to get out to (or find, for that matter) any thrift stores. I can only imagine what kinds of things would be in a thrift store in Dubai. Dubai Mall is the biggest mall in the world and there is nearly every single high-end clothing store you could possibly think of. Absolutely overwhelming.

Thrifting in general hasn't yield much recently. However, I had a couple of very small victories today:

A pair of lightly used Bean Boots
2 Dogfishhead Beer beer glasses

I also had my eye on a small, funky-looking, bright green lamp (thank you, frenchy), but I was too cautious to pull the trigger on it.

rose04

Reaction score
At one time I would have considered this a fairly decent day's finds... But in light of the recent epic Kiton find I'll have to temper my excitement. Hats off to you VABeethoven!

Two Turnbull & Asser shirts. One pink with a white collar, one blue.
DSC03056Small.jpg
DSC03062Small.jpg
DSC03064Small.jpg
DSC03059Small.jpg

Three Zegna ties. Two flower prints and one cool tortoise and hare print. Now if I could just find one of those elusive Hermes...
DSC03066Small.jpg

One Coach knit tie and a truly awesome 100% polyester Fokker Aviation emblematic with F28s and F27s. I can't foresee ever wearing it, but still an absolute must have.
DSC03071Small.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found three suits, two sportcoats (one navy with metal buttons) and one pair of flannel odd trousers - all custom made. Very recent, most are from 2006. One of the trousers has "Oxxford Clothes" buttons on the waist for the braces - I think these may be made by Oxxford. All are about a 48 R. Mint condition. Will be up on B/S shortly.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Yeah, that fit you really well. Classic style, too. You could have easily swapped out the buttons for horn ones if they bothered you.

Im so pissed wit myself. ****.
ffffuuuu.gif

I wish I could go back in time!

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Im so pissed wit myself. ****.
ffffuuuu.gif

I wish I could go back in time!

Don't worry. More will come to you if you're patient. Honestly, with thrifting it's better to err on the side of buying less. You might occasionally second-guess yourself out of a purchase you should have made, but you'll save yourself from wasting money on piles of junk that isn't worth it. TBH, if I can't decide on a purchase, it's almost always a good sign I should leave it. As you thrift more, that instinct will get better.

Navi

Reaction score
I just witnessed a miracle.

My coworker let me leave work an hour early, so I decided to swing by that same store quickly before I went home, and....

The jacket was there! I just bought it for 4 bucks! I'm officially converted to christianity.
laugh.gif

God I'm so happy. I also saw a tan suede jacket that fit me realy well, but it was a bit short and I'm not sure if i would ever wear it so i left it. I'm gonna sleep on it and go back tomorrow if i decide I want it.

Also saw a grey with pinstripes aquascutum suit in a 36L about, ill post some pics and see if anyone wants me to get it for them. It was 7.99.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift shops have been a bust for the past... I don't know... few years. Don't think I've picked up anything but books and cds for as long as I can remember....

But I've discovered a new place to find good clothes... Estate Sales!!!

Got a Kiton tie -- brand new -- for $15 and a Kiton suit (at a different Estate Sale) for $28. Also picked up a self-tie black bowtie by Robert Talbott for $1.

Generally speaking, there are two kinds of Estate Sales... the ones where it's obvious that someone died (there might be a box of neckties from the 1950s - 1970s, for example, and everything in the house is dated, there may be shag carpeting, pink or aqua tile in the bathrooms, wood paneling in the "rec room", everything smells musty and like old people, yearbooks from the 1940s, etc. etc.) and the ones where it's obvious that the family is moving and doesn't want to deal with all their leftover possessions (or sometimes you'll go to Estate Sales that you have a feeling might be the result of a divorce). Obviously it's easier to find good things at the second kind of sale -- i.e., the "move" or the "divorce"...

Geography is important when it comes to finding clothes at Estate Sales (unlike at most thrift shops where items are processed through a centralized sorting facility)... I only go to the sales in upscale neighborhoods. The brand-new Kiton tie was found at $6 million dollar home in Kalorama in Washington, D.C., and the Kiton suit was found at a $4 million home in McLean, Virginia... and it was obvious in both cases that the families were extremely wealthy and just moving.... so I guess you can think of some Estate Sales as upscale garage sales for well-to-do families who don't want to be bothered with holding their own garage sale, but need to get rid of some of their possessions before a move.

Also, on the non-clothing front, bought a Stickley piecrust table for $85... an Imari plate for $20... etc. both at a lovely estate sale in Clifton, Virginia at a $3 million house.

One interesting thing is that at the 20 or so Estate Sales I've been to recently at $3 million + homes, the most popular clothing label by far is Jos. A. Bank!

So, has anybody else found good clothes at estate sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads