• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ann D pioneered and IMHO mastered this aesthetic in contemporary fashion. Most of the other Japanese usual suspects do this well. Undercover, Julius et al.

Originally Posted by Lane
looking for some cool ass cropped pants/button ups that would look good with my aesthetic.

nothing comes to mind besides devoa, number nine, and wjk

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
It's really annoying to continuously read posts (from a large number of people, I am not specifically referring to yours) that are transparently predicated on the following thought process. "In order to exude confidence in what I am saying I need to say it in the most exaggerated way I can come up with and allow for neither exception nor context in which my opinion could be wrong. If I offer no explanation or qualification for my statement, it will appear even more confident because that way I'm stating it as if it were the most obvious thing in the world". That **** just makes you look like a douchebag. Snowman, for example, does not dress like a gay astronaut or whatever you just called him. His stuff is hit and miss. MY stuff is hit and miss. Why you seem to think "hmm, if I'm an even bigger dick to this guy maybe I can convince him to wear tshirts and boat shoes" I do not understand.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like teger because he's obviously not afraid to go against the grain, or pop opinion -- but a little much, today..

trying to lure snowman (who, like his fits or not, contributes a ton of content to this site, and is extremely receptive and mild mannered when it comes to his critiques) into arguments and insulting his clothing in a personal way is pretty jerkish. I agree with the blunt criticisms part are somewhat necessary to ward off the 'circle jerk' mentality, but you can be straightforward or 'blunt' while still be constructive at the same time versus just trying to cut someone down.

i know im not the local authority on being mr. nice guy, but jS.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
im not trying to lure him into an argument, but im trying to say that aesthetic concerns aside, we should always ask the question 'does this look good on me.' i always come across much harsher than i am, and part of it is because im too lazy to capitalize words or qualify everything with 'well if that's what you look...'

also i never called him a gay astronaut. i called him a jockey. cause.. that's what he looks like. he even admitted it.

look, i don't like this aesthetic. but i don't care if you have it. or what anyones aesthetic is. i 'care' (only in the loosest sense of the word) on people acknowledging that certain 'standards' exist outside of aesthetic, such as wearing clothes that don't emphasize bad qualities. the short people/cuffing thing is a HUGE example of this - to me it's such a basic thing it's ridiculous that people even argue it.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Ann D pioneered and IMHO mastered this aesthetic in contemporary fashion. Most of the other Japanese usual suspects do this well. Undercover, Julius et al.

shes a whole nother level of expensive, ugh. I guess I'll start delving in!

Know where I can start buying her stuff online?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
You're right that was someone else. You just said that he looks stupid, terrible, etc. and that his neighbours were probably judging him.

The issue is that "does this look good on me" is a tough question to ask. That fit I posted monday that was maligned by many on here, I actually liked notwithstanding not being sure about the hat. SF in general were VERY sure about the hat and that it must die. Posted it on SZ, where the general opinion was that the pants were the only thing wrong with it. Hell, I have enjoyed some snowman fits I can think of off the top of my head the last few months, but you probably thought they looked stupid. The way you express this **** is kind of what I'm talking about, you explicitly presuppose the correctness of your own perspective which is kind of like the intellectual version of internet tough guy syndrome.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
what this debate really is is 'how much subjectivity exists in what looks good/how we judge what looks good.' you clearly think things are more subjective than i do - to me there exist certain universal rules that exist as a consequence of things like personal body type that can't really be disregarded, regardless of what your personal aesthetic is.

i don't presuppose the correctness of my own perspective, because the things i'm talking about aren't my own perspective, they're just objective observations that are pretty inarguable. the real question is how much do these observations matter.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
saying fits look bad etc etc are not objective observations in the least. they are opinions. just fyi trollger

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
saying that snowman's pants make him look bowlegged is an objective statement: even he concedes they do.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I have yet to see you post anything today that is inarguable, possibly because you have expressed them in such a way as to be contentious. Please provide objective statements re: how to dress aside from "short people shouldn't cuff" (counterpoint: mellowfellow). I am not sure how Snowman's PANTS make him look bowlegged, I was under the impression it was his legs that were doing that.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
what this debate really is is 'how much subjectivity exists in what looks good/how we judge what looks good.' you clearly think things are more subjective than i do - to me there exist certain universal rules that exist as a consequence of things like personal body type that can't really be disregarded, regardless of what your personal aesthetic is. i don't presuppose the correctness of my own perspective, because the things i'm talking about aren't my own perspective, they're just objective observations that are pretty inarguable. the real question is how much do these observations matter.
The underlying points of most of your posts seem to be that you don't like "fashion" looks and try to find angles to attack them. That's how I read it anyway. Yawn. TBH I'm very much into really specific things that vary every few months (and come back often) so I don't really look to the internet for inspiration, which makes me just read WAYWT as a place to see nice and not so nice looks I wouldn't wear.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the trashy designer aesthetic. Beats the **** out of workwear. Being blunt is not the same as being an asshole. I think a lot of people forget that line. I also don't see what's so wrong with a circlejerk...at least everybody's getting off
laugh.gif

wangvicous

Reaction score
What does makes you look short even matter? In person that means almost nothing because there are other points of reference

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
It's really annoying to continuously read posts (from a large number of people, I am not specifically referring to yours) that are transparently predicated on the following thought process. "In order to exude confidence in what I am saying I need to say it in the most exaggerated way I can come up with and allow for neither exception nor context in which my opinion could be wrong. If I offer no explanation or qualification for my statement, it will appear even more confident because that way I'm stating it as if it were the most obvious thing in the world". That **** just makes you look like a douchebag. Snowman, for example, does not dress like a gay astronaut or whatever you just called him. His stuff is hit and miss. MY stuff is hit and miss. Why you seem to think "hmm, if I'm an even bigger dick to this guy maybe I can convince him to wear tshirts and boat shoes" I do not understand.

brrro he's an english/history phd applicant if that's not enough credibility nothing will ever satisfy your judicious pomp, leave him to his soliloquist ways !!!! I have heard of one old witch changing herself into a pigeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads