• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a couple new suits. Too... many... choices

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
Hi all. Been lurking a while and decided to pull the trigger on "new thread."

A little perspective. The suits I own date back about 6 years and were probably all purchased at Macy's (please don't stone me to death). They're showing their age and I'm in court fairly often, so I need to gradually start updating things.

I'm about 6'1" and 200 lbs, generally prefer the modern/slimmer look (not so slim that I look like I'm doing the robot in the courtroom), usually wear a 42L (monkey arms) and have a budget of about $500 - $750/suit.

Been looking at a few options, including the Charles Tyrwhitt Black Label line. That comes out to about $600 after currency conversion and VAT deduction.

Also somewhat intrigued at the prospect of buying off Ebay, but I'm a little scared about the sheer number of no-names passing themselves off as a Zegna/Canali/etc. because they use the manufacturer's "cloth."

Very confused as to what my options are. Help me Obi Wan StyleForum.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SaveMeJebus
Hi Been looking at a few options, including the Charles Tyrwhitt Black Label line. That comes out to about $600 after currency conversion and VAT deduction.

The CT suits are pretty decent for the money you pay on always-sale, and if you can wait until the summer they go on 'real' sale at the end of the season (but selection dwindles.) These are not suits to rival Isaia from STP, but less expensive.

One thing to note is the 'working buttonholes' that come with every CT suit. That might seem like a bonus, but it's
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
time if you need the sleeves shortened much, and you need a tailor who can take the sleeves off at the shoulder and shorten it from there (rather than the cheaper and easier end-of-sleeve shortening one normally sees.) But if you have monkey-arms, this may not be a problem.

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
The CT suits are pretty decent for the money you pay on always-sale, and if you can wait until the summer they go on 'real' sale at the end of the season (but selection dwindles.) These are not suits to rival Isaia from STP, but less expensive.

Ya, even now their selection is somewhat so-so. Only three colors to choose from in the black label, none have a 34" option available, and the navy is out of stock on a 42L jacket.

Any idea how much less the prices fall end of season?

Doc4

Reaction score
At a guess, I'd say you'd be looking at 60% off instead of 50%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads