• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
i was just trying to give you some nice advice man; do you.

i dont live in a neighborhood where ppl do that
eh.gif
and i havent experienced anybody yelling/talking under their breathe about the way i dress. maybe cuz i do it all day everyday.

i catch more flack here than in real life lol

but how is that you trying to give me advice, i don't understand

i'm exaggerating obviously, but people look at you different depending on where you live and what you do. you're very much out of the ordinary there, whereas in the city, you're not

people in real life aren't going to say anything, they're just gonna think it

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the whole 'nobody cares how you dress/im a special flower who does who he wants' vs 'living in the real world' is something ive gone back and forth on a lot. i think it's a question of stake. dressing like an ugly jockey space snowman while you walk your dog is probably fine, because the stakes are very low - who cares if your neighbor thinks you look stupid. but at the same time, dressing that way to work or to class increases your stakes. this whole attitude of '**** the world im gonna be me' is fine and all, but you have to understand that there are many people out there who will look at your clothing and not hire you because of it. it's not fair, but it's like.

that said, that outfit sucks because, as i keep saying, even within your stupid streetwear designer aesthetic, it looks bad. the proportions are off and the clothes don't fit - the jacket sleeves are too long and it looks big and bulky in all the wrong ways.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
it wouldnt look good in any aesthetic.

i only see two options: hide it or carry on

there's a difference between 'accepting something' and 'emphasizing it'. you're doing the latter. and it looks bad. what else is there to say? i don't care how special and magical those kva pants are (and, considering they're probably made by some italian design firm that makes a dozen other brands.. they probably aren't), they don't fit you well

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it just came across to me that you dress however you dress because of where you live. (small town in new york) so i said, it doesnt matter, dress in whatever way makes you happy. place shouldnt dictate. thats all

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At jobs there are dress codes, and obviously no one does teh fashun during job interviews. I think its quite obvious the work environment isn't for fashion. In a classroom, yah it might upset them that you aren't wearing a nice jcrew button up like every fashion ready male in the spring. However, I fail to see how it affects you in class. Its not like the professor will grade you harshly because you look like an astronaut, not to mention they don't do any grading.

dressing how you want is fine because there are no consequences for doing so day to day on the streets.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i understand. im not saying im going to go for a job interveiw in these kva pants but im also not going to go in khakis/button down or a suit. ill find more toned down stuff in my wardrobe.

...or buy a kva suit
smile.gif

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, I was about to say...double whammy.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
there's a difference between 'accepting something' and 'emphasizing it'. you're doing the latter. and it looks bad. what else is there to say? i don't care how special and magical those kva pants are (and, considering they're probably made by some italian design firm that makes a dozen other brands.. they probably aren't), they don't fit you well

why bash the pants? i think a lot of stuff is magical, thats part of the allure

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Y'allz mad.

Snowman, that fit would be elevated to astronomical levels if you had that Givenchy mask, get on it.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
why bash the pants? i think a lot of stuff is magical, thats part of the allure
because dude, as i keep saying, they don't fit well. my point is that even if you feel that the pants have some intrinsic value because of the materials they're made from or how they're designed, it doesn't matter cause they don't fit you well. it's not a big deal - there's a ton of **** i love but i can't wear.. cause it doesnt look good on me. it's the same debate that rages over high end denim or a brand like 45 rpm. 45 rpm is beautifully constructed out of the nicest materials, but to me it's meaningless if it fits badly. its an issue i go back and forth on a lot too: is the intrinsic value of an item (due to design, production, materials, etc), more important than how it fits? right now id say no.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Y'allz mad.

Snowman, that fit would be elevated to astronomical levels if you had that Givenchy mask, get on it.

heh, who sells it?
laugh.gif

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and im saying they do have their moments. i got nothing but love from this fit. same pants. either way, sf love or not, i will wear them. scott m cuff style
2UyIb.jpg

even had the wool ones proxied from japan! also, AR, whats hanging from under your coat in the third pic? asymmetrical shirt or is that the coat itself?? looks good either way..

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^Asymmetrical shirt; RO triple layer I posted in RP a couple days back.

Originally Posted by Teger
there are many people out there who will look at your clothing and not hire you because of it. it's not fair, but it's like.
Thank God for the meritocracies of the world... the head of our litigation department once told me, quote, "man, you dress weird." Yet here I am.

The concept of "stakes" applies most readily to the internet in the sense that most of this crap would never be said in person, in large part as a result of social niceties and instilled instincts of politeness but somewhat also for fear of getting punched in the face.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
you should read some of the threads on MC. "I won't hire someone if they are wearing a striped suit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads