• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
several sprays of DG one gentleman.

it's like cocain i guess. first time you use only a subtle two sprays. and later you amount to using 10 freaking huge sprays to get teh same amplification of scent (of course, in my mind i guess. im sure i reek at work).

Sho: this is normal for lots of people and lots of scents. I don't know if you remember Ivan Kipling, but he wore Eau Sauvage all the time - it was his only scent for years, until he eventually became anosmic to it, and had to switch to something else. Just couldn't smell it at all any longer. That's why I rotate them around a bit.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
just got Guerlain L'Instant Homme EdT in the mail from Notreknip, AWESOME!

I tend to gravitate to the really strong scents and this is probably the mildest I've enjoyed and it really does sit nicely on the skin.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ agreed. It has a way of being present without being overbearing. and for a "chocolate" (coco actually) scent it's quite dry and warm rather than sweet.

today, Ford Musk Pure on the right (boring - was this meant to layer?), and Ford Urban Musk on the left (this one's really growing on me!)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
The top notes are pleasant in a familiar chypre kind of way, but it is something about an hour in that becomes a bit "stuffy" (in an almost literal sense). I don't think it is the classic Guerlain civet(ish) note that gets me a bit in the wrong way, but I'm really not sure what it is just yet.
Yeah, I swapped away my bottle of Mitsy as well for the same reason: just too formal and French for my tastes. Dane swears that the parfum is miles better and everyone says that the earlier bottles are also better, but I don't want to start the chase just to find out that I still dislike it. For chypre, i already have Chanel PM and that addresses that family quite well.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful day, using the last of my Green Irish Tweed sample.

Actually tried out Davidoff Cool Water yesterday, and to my nose not detecting a ton of difference, so that might save me $200+ dollars in the future.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Muscs Koublai Khan today. I ran out of this, so I haven't worn it in a while. Just got my new supply, and it's every bit as good as I remembered!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Sho: this is normal for lots of people and lots of scents. I don't know if you remember Ivan Kipling, but he wore Eau Sauvage all the time - it was his only scent for years, until he eventually became anosmic to it, and had to switch to something else. Just couldn't smell it at all any longer. That's why I rotate them around a bit.

dam so that means you guys want me to spend mo money on this fragrances ??
ffffuuuu.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^ lol. But srsly there's a huge market in splits, partials (decants) and secondary bottles. I think I've paid full retail for a bottle once in the last few years. And, fwiw, I know a few folks who don't mind sharing/swapping samples here and there. Holla.

BTW, I have a bottle of Hermes Elixir Des Merveilles coming to me from London, since you raved about it earlier.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^^^ lol. But srsly there's a huge market in splits, partials (decants) and secondary bottles. I think I've paid full retail for a bottle once in the last few years. And, fwiw, I know a few folks who don't mind sharing/swapping samples here and there. Holla.

BTW, I have a bottle of Hermes Elixir Des Merveilles coming to me from London, since you raved about it earlier.

nice! im not sure if youre a vanilla chocolate orange bomb man, but this is one of the most decadent scents i have ever encountered (at the dept stores).

i hope you like it. maybe not an everyday application but good in your rotation.

i hope you wont get
ffffuuuu.gif
after you smell it.
because i endorsed it
inlove.gif

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
The top notes are pleasant in a familiar chypre kind of way, but it is something about an hour in that becomes a bit "stuffy" (in an almost literal sense). I don't think it is the classic Guerlain civet(ish) note that gets me a bit in the wrong way, but I'm really not sure what it is just yet.

OK, I confess I have only worn it a few times so my experience base is limited. I will have to try it again this weekend and <st>see</st> smell if I smell what you smell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads