• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color and style sportscoat to go with dark navy trousers?

mcfmcf

Reaction score
Just got a pair of dark navy blue slacks - flat front, micropatterning but essentially a plain navy - and I have no idea for a sportscoat/blazer to look for!

Any advice on color and style would be much appreciated.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see some ideas, too. I bought a pair of midnight navy wool trousers before joining SF and they've been hanging in my closet ever since. I'd love to wear them with something.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very hard to pair jackets with navy odd trousers. That's one reason they are unpopular around here.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Edit: the general thinking is that upper-class people prefer strong contrast and differing but complimentary colors, while lower-class people prefer matching as exactly as possible. I don't know your class background or the people you associate with, so I can't say.

? What does class have to do with anything? In any case, I can't get behind blue with navy trousers. Far too uniformy.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try any jacket with a blue pattern. I have a hunter green jacket with a blue overcheck that works well, and also a H&S tan jacket (SherryKash - Parker, you'd recognize it) that would look good with blue pants, if not quite with navy. I've a light grey russian weave from RL that goes with navy also.

The jacket in Parker's signature might also be worth a look.

JoziKilos

Reaction score
Navy trousers can look very stylish and classy.

I would pair it with a grey sportcoat for a sleek look.
For a more standout look, maybe try a light khaki blazer.

bhall41

Reaction score
I can see why you earned that rebuke Mr White from Apropos. Are you for real?

bhall41

Reaction score
Back on topic, I also think a grey sports jacket is a good match for navy trousers.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have a normal pic

8jzZJ.jpg
V6lz2.jpg

Spong

Reaction score
Forgive me if I stray into nonsense, I'm simply thinking aloud, but would it work to pair navy trou with a fairly bold jacket? I'm not necessarily talking balls-out, bright red, highland tartan but some sort of bold check SC or perhaps, at a push, even a loud and/or striped boating blazer?
paul-smith-london-pcxl-664844-148683_medium.jpg

Also this just posted in WAYWRN by MalfordOfLondon.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey or brown sport coats, even seer sucker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads