• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
And look at that, in one weekend the Red Sox have erased 1/3 of their deficit in the AL East which is proof that...STANDINGS THIS EARLY IN THE SEASON BARELY MEAN ANYTHING.

Wow, 16 to 5. The Red Sacks are done.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Wow, 16 to 5. The Red Sacks are done.

rolleyes.gif

This may be tasteless but whatever... I've been trying to find a way to phrase this.... nothing born in Japan has caused more damage than Dice-K since Godzilla. Dude is just a terrible pitcher in the states.

guster

Reaction score
I have said this all winter.... Red sox lost 2 excellent hitters & replaced them with 2 excellent hitters. Outfield better with Crawford out there but was not bad last year w/ Cameron. But Catching was very suspect with an unproven Saltalamacchia. Pen looks better but Pap had his roughest year and Jenks going downhill each year. Starting Pitching was/is by far biggest concern. They have ace in Lester. Buchholtz had 1 good year. Lackey & Beckett going downhill and a terrible Dice K.

How is that such a clear choice over a Yankee team that got better? Not a Yankee fan but look what they did in the bullpen. That has to be best in baseball. Sure starting pitching looks weak at bottom of order but can't say Red Sox looks much better. And Yankee lineup still loaded. Inportantly they are stocked down at minors and have trade bait to get someone big mid season.

The season is still early but if Sox play like last year and win 92 games, that is a 56.7 win%. If they do that the rest of the way (after 2-8 start), they win 88 games. That does not get them the division in AL East or most likely, not even the wild card.

Of course still early, maybe they will get super hot. But hard to bank on that starting pitching and a catcher that does not look like he belongs in Majors.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dan Haren throws a 1 hitter.

With the exception of the Phillies is there a better 1-2? 6 starts, sub 1 era between Haren and Weaver.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
At this point, no. Wish I could have seen Weaver's 15k game but I was at opening day and tonight's game. Halos just need to pick it up on offensive and give these arms some run support.

Santana is garbage btw

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Dan Haren throws a 1 hitter.

With the exception of the Phillies is there a better 1-2? 6 starts, sub 1 era between Haren and Weaver.

Guthrie Britton in Baltimore!

Also, the Red Sox lose again. I hope those paying attention realize that this season is lost for Boston.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious, and this is for all who post in this thread...in July if the team with the best lineup in baseball is 5 games back, do you say the season is lost?

Kindly shut the **** up about baseball if you do.

Should the Sox be worried? Well...yeah, anytime you go 2-8 you ought to have some concern.

Anyway, Rangers look great, but they lose Hamilton (again) for 6-8 weeks.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last year, the Sox were contenders for, essentially the entire season.

May 13 they were 6.5 back
June 13--4
July 13--5
August--6
Sept--7.5 (!!)

And no one proclaimed them done at either of those points. September you start to have doubts.

There's alot of baseball to be played, Dice-K will get dropped which can only help them...there's a reason you play the game.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, just FTR, at the midpoint last year, the Giants were 7.5 back behind three teams that missed the playoffs. Who wrote them off then?

That's less to show how wrong our prognostications often are, but more that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. The Sox could have the worst record in baseball in October but it seems much more logical that they will be one of the better teams in baseball.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
I have said this all winter.... Red sox lost 2 excellent hitters & replaced them with 2 excellent hitters. Outfield better with Crawford out there but was not bad last year w/ Cameron. But Catching was very suspect with an unproven Saltalamacchia. Pen looks better but Pap had his roughest year and Jenks going downhill each year. Starting Pitching was/is by far biggest concern. They have ace in Lester. Buchholtz had 1 good year. Lackey & Beckett going downhill and a terrible Dice K.

How is that such a clear choice over a Yankee team that got better? Not a Yankee fan but look what they did in the bullpen. That has to be best in baseball. Sure starting pitching looks weak at bottom of order but can't say Red Sox looks much better. And Yankee lineup still loaded. Inportantly they are stocked down at minors and have trade bait to get someone big mid season.

The season is still early but if Sox play like last year and win 92 games, that is a 56.7 win%. If they do that the rest of the way (after 2-8 start), they win 88 games. That does not get them the division in AL East or most likely, not even the wild card.

Of course still early, maybe they will get super hot. But hard to bank on that starting pitching and a catcher that does not look like he belongs in Majors.

As witnessed last season, The Giants have the best bullpen in baseball.

Originally Posted by sexandcandy
At this point, no. Wish I could have seen Weaver's 15k game but I was at opening day and tonight's game. Halos just need to pick it up on offensive and give these arms some run support.

Santana is garbage btw

And trade Vernon Wells while he still has some value.
[/i]

guster

Reaction score
Also, just FTR, at the midpoint last year, the Giants were 7.5 back behind three teams that missed the playoffs. Who wrote them off then?

That's less to show how wrong our prognostications often are, but more that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. The Sox could have the worst record in baseball in October but it seems much more logical that they will be one of the better teams in baseball.

Ed, you are so right that it is still early. But the difference between the Giants, or the Rockies a few years ago or the Angels in'02 (they started 2-9) is the division they play in. The AL East is a bear and the Sox not only have to fight with the Yankees & others to win the division, they have to play that Al schedule all season. Of course the season is not lost for them. I just could never figure out why people were thinking they were such heavy favorites with some glaring holes in their line up & staff. They can come back & win the division but it will largely depend on Beckett, Lackey, Jenks & Paplebon being much better than they were last year.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed is getting pissed. His Loston Red Sux are garbage and so early in the season its evident. I think too many people were drinking whatever it is Peter Gammons drinks.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ed is getting pissed. His Loston Red Sux are garbage and so early in the season its evident. I think too many people were drinking whatever it is Peter Gammons drinks.

I would like to point out that my beloved Royals have one of the best records in baseball.

Royals.

confused.gif

You're like the Edina fail of this thread.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and not to freak you out or anything... but Peter Gammons has jumped on to the Oriels bandwagon: http://audio.weei.com/a/39237632/pet...lb-insider.htm it started all they way back in 2010:
peter%20gammons%201995.jpg
Buck making young Orioles believe again Showalter working to rebuild players' self-esteem, confidence How's attendance at Camden? It sad that the indians only drew for their opener...even though they are ripping through the AL right now. It seems like Texas draws well even if its super ****** 90ºF 100% humidity weather. The only solace I find with these redsox losses is that they are against on-fire teams or blue chip pitchers. Personally I think that Dice K has the stuff to be a great pitcher, even now... he's just too ******* hard headed not to challenge batters when it counts. Its like he needs to be ***** slapped when he starts nibbling in 3 ball counts. The sawx really should just give up on him now because its not like he doesn't "get it"... its that he refuses to do the right thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads